Who reads my Notes?

I wish to use Evernote for tasks regarding a potential startup and personal things. How I can be 100% sure that my content that can be action plans, requirements, comments are not read by someone in Evernote team or partners?

Thank you,
Antonio
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, aspublic said:
I wish to use Evernote for tasks regarding a potential startup and personal things. How I can be 100% sure that my content that can be action plans, requirements, comments are not read by someone in Evernote team or partners?

Encrypt your content

EN can provide you assurances, and I have no reason to doubt them. (edited: see message below).  I just proceed on the assumption that anything I put in the cloud might get viewed (NSA/Chinese/Google etc)

Hi there @aspublic, welcome to the Forums!

This is a great question. With respect to who can read or access your notes, everything you put into Evernote is private by default. This includes from Evernote employees, who are unable to access or view the content in your account. The only way another person would be able to view or access the contents of your account is if you shared that content with them. This is part of our 3 Laws of Data Protection:

1. Your Data is Yours
  2. Your Data is Protected
  3. Your Data is Portable

By using our products, you are giving us permission to do certain things with your data so that we can run our service. For example, you give us permission to back it up, send it over a network, index it for searching, display it on your various devices, etc. Some of these operations may require us to send your data to our normal business partners–such as a network operator–that we have contracted with to provide parts of the Evernote Service. Before we do this, we’ll always make sure that our contracts with such partners protect your ownership rights.

Other than giving us the permission to perform these limited operations so we can run the Evernote Service, you retain all the rights to your data.

There are features in Evernote which allow you to publish and share some of your notes with others, but these are totally optional and whether or not you use them is up to you. If you choose to connect your Evernote account with one of our many partners, you may be giving the partner access to some or all of your data. We will tell you how the partner application will access your account and you can turn off access whenever you want.

You can find more information on this in our Blog Post:

Evernote's Three Laws of Data Protection

Additionally, as @DTLow pointed out, you can encrypt text within a note to add an extra layer of protection. You can find steps on how to do that at our Help and Learning Center here.

Feel free to let me know here if you have any questions!

18 minutes ago, BSR said:

Hi there @aspublic, welcome to the Forums!

This is a great question. With respect to who can read or access your notes; everything you put into Evernote is private by default. This includes from Evernote employees, who are unable to access or view the content in your account. The only way another person would be able to view or access the contents of your account is if you shared that content with them. This is part of our 3 Laws of Data Protection:

1. Your Data is Yours
  2. Your Data is Protected
  3. Your Data is Portable

You can find more information on this in our Blog Post:

Evernote's Three Laws of Data Protection

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks @BSR this is fine for me. Indeed I was asking about Evernote processes and privacy policies, not about encryption and limits of it (btw I'm used to encrypting sentences or parts of them in a note in particular cases, but here I was interested in the ordinary "taking notes" flow).

Antonio

So, I did some playing around with the additional encryption layer and turns out that when note is encrypted it shows up that way on web as well. Even with a public URL, the note cannot be accessed. All you can see is the encryption button, and the note is inaccessible.

Q: when data is transported between networks is the encryption still in place.

Yes, this is informative. Also, I did some playing around with the additional encryption layer and turns out that when note is encrypted it shows up that way on web as well. Even with a public URL, the note cannot be accessed. All you can see is the encryption button, and the note is inaccessible.

Archived