Moving Evernote database

The latest under Prerelease 6.2.2.3164 supports moving the Evernote database, in theory to another drive; indeed, it starts out after installation by moving your existing database to a new default location.

I'd like to move the database from Drive C: to Drive G:

It's currently in the new default of:  C:\Users\RJS\Evernote

I'd like to put it in: G:\Evernote

So, when telling Evernote to move it, do I specify just the new drive (G:), or do I also create a new folder (Evernote) on that drive?

I don't want to accidentally end up with it in G:\Evernote\Evernote, and I don't want to tempt fate by moving the database around by experimenting. ;)

Thanks!

Rob

• Level 5*

Hi Rob.  I refer you to

.. where I'm (still) having a hard time with the update,  but I believe young @kvitekp has said in that thread that finding the directory location in Tools > Options and changing it will lead to your database migrating there.  I'd recommend getting a backup copy of the current Databases folder first,  just in case...

Moving the database has been supported for a long time. The new beta is simply changing the current default location (and automatically moving the database if it lives in the old default location).

When you specify a new location in the options, that is where it will put all the stuff that currently lives in the Evernote folder. If you specify "G:\Evernote", then your actual database folder will be "G:\Evernote\Databases". No extra Evernote directory! :)

• 4 weeks later...

OK, please explain, then, why I can't move database to other drive in version 6.2.4? I tell Evernote to move the database to the new location in options, files are copied, Evernote asks for the password to sync the database and ALWAYS ALWAYS synces the old database on C:/users... etc. = standard location. After that, when checking in options, any folder I specify as the new location is GONE and replaced by the standard location. Anybody care to explain this phenomenon? I'm going nuts. I've been Premium for 5 years now and it's 1st time ever this doesn't work. I'm - well - furious...

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, MacAdam63 said:

OK, please explain, then, why I can't move database to other drive in version 6.2.4? I tell Evernote to move the database to the new location in options, files are copied, Evernote asks for the password to sync the database and ALWAYS ALWAYS synces the old database on C:/users... etc. = standard location. After that, when checking in options, any folder I specify as the new location is GONE and replaced by the standard location. Anybody care to explain this phenomenon? I'm going nuts. I've been Premium for 5 years now and it's 1st time ever this doesn't work. I'm - well - furious...

Hi.  If you're premium you're entitled to email and Chat support,  so I'd suggest you contact Support to ask them about this.  (We aren't Support - just -mainly- other users.)

If you're changing the location of the database in Tools > Options > General,  then AFAIK it should work.  It is possible there's a bug with this latest release,  so all the more reason to talk to Evernote to find out.  I haven't moved my database and don't especially intend to,  so can't really comment...

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I had moved mine sometime ago, but with the last update, Evernote seems to have moved the files back to the default directory.  Does this sound correct, or ?

I could easily use the Tools to move it back to where I did have it, but my concern is I would not have seen this execept by chance, and my back up service was not configured to back up the database from the default location, so it was a bit worrying that it got moved without my permission. 

Grant

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Grant837 said:

Hi,

I had moved mine sometime ago, but with the last update, Evernote seems to have moved the files back to the default directory.  Does this sound correct, or ?

I could easily use the Tools to move it back to where I did have it, but my concern is I would not have seen this execept by chance, and my back up service was not configured to back up the database from the default location, so it was a bit worrying that it got moved without my permission. 

Grant

Hi.  Best place to put your query is in the release thread for your current Evernote version.  Short version is that an update should not move the database from a bespoke location back to the standard one,  but it's possible that there's a glitch with that update.  I'd suggest you move the database back again and set a reminder to check each month that it's where you expect it to be - or at least next time you see an update alert,  check the location again.

Archived