Virtual Paperlessness

Are there any known applications of Evernote that combine scanned documents with indexing of key documents (dare I say it?) in physical *paper files* ???

"Original" documents required for tax, ownership, legal agreements, and other purposes need to live somewhere, and probably ought to be at least scanned and indexed into Evenote. Has anyone come up with a template for organizing these kinds of documents in the physical realm? 

Would greatly appreciate any pointers, either here on Evernote's site or beyond.

• 1 month later...

That's an interesting question. We push so much to get everything on-line, we forget where the originals are!

I'd suggest adding a tag showing where the item is filed, like @File3-Drawer1. Doesn't help if they are moved frequently. Also doesn't help for others without your Evernote notes to know where everything is. Maybe print out a piece of paper with how to find the notes you;ve filed electronically.

If you relied on Evernote for organization, then just stamp the paper with the date scanned and file by date, but that's guaranteed to be useless without your notes. :(

• Level 5*

Any document that has a signature I put in one folder.  Everything else gets shredded.  Since most documents are downloaded anymore it's a thin folder for me.  

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, dzurn said:

I'd suggest adding a tag showing where the item is filed, like @File3-Drawer1.

19 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Any document that has a signature I put in one folder.  Everything else gets shredded.  Since most documents are downloaded anymore it's a thin folder for me.  

I'd go with a filing tags as per @dzurn if you have a lot of physical paper
I also use this to keep track of stuff I put away for safekeeping, not just paper
However, as per @csihilling; i retain very little paper copy and I have a single small accordion file folder.

On 6/18/2016 at 4:25 PM, michael.sf.ca.us@gmail.com said:

Are there any known applications of Evernote that combine scanned documents with indexing of key documents (dare I say it?) in physical *paper files* ???

"Original" documents required for tax, ownership, legal agreements, and other purposes need to live somewhere, and probably ought to be at least scanned and indexed into Evenote. Has anyone come up with a template for organizing these kinds of documents in the physical realm? 

Would greatly appreciate any pointers, either here on Evernote's site or beyond.

I use Sortly which has native Evernote integration. It also has the option to automatically backup to Evernote. 

You can add pictures, video and in the pro app you can create Qr codes to put on boxes. That way there's no searching. You just the code from the box your originals are in and then link it to the digital record. 

Archived