Backup and Export

noteverything

Idea

This is an advice for the Business community: Export Notes and Attachments on a regular basis if you don't want to lose ALL your business notes.

Read this and you will understand how my business has lost 15 thousands notes because of EN payment failure. Even if the title reflects my current thoughts about EN, its not mine...

Jeff

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, noteverything said:

This is an advice for the Business community: Export Notes and Attachments on a regular basis if you don't want to lose ALL your business notes.

I'd say that is good advice for all of your digital data, whether stored in Evernote or elsewhere.  Sooner or later, disaster will strike almost everyone.  If you are not maintaining your own, personal (or business) backup of all of your data, then you are putting yourself, and your business, at great risk.  I never rely on outside vendors alone to backup my data.

However, I would add that you do not necessarily need to export to ENEX to backup Evernote.  There are great backup systems available for both Mac and Windows that can backup all changes to your Evernote account on a very frequent basis.  Time Machine on the Mac does it once an hour, although TM is more of a personal backup system, than a business system.

If you are running a business with a significant number of employees, then your CIO, IT Manager, or chief IT guy needs to include your Evernote Business account in his/her business-wide disaster recovery plans, which of course includes backup.  If you are your own chief IT guy, then you probably want to ask other in your company, or an outside consultant, to review and critique your plans.

Good luck.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, noteverything said:

Read this and you will understand how my business has lost 15 thousands notes because of EN payment failure. Even if the title reflects my current thoughts about EN, its not mine...

>>lost 15 thousands notes because of EN payment failure.

This surprised me - I would not expect to lose my local database on my desktop (not a Business user)

While I don't plan to use it, my data is covered in my backup process and I would be able to recover.
I'd echo your recommendation - everyone should have a backup process

I have created a feature request thread to address backups and restoration.  The basic idea is to use git backup, a version control system, to enable backup and restore of notes. They can export the notes in version controlled EML or similar, and, restore from same. Search for git backup if you think this is a reasonable approach, and give some feedback.

Archived