Several problems with iPad pro version

Ataiya

Idea

I use this app for teaching on an iPad pro (ipad screen projected on the wall) and these are several issues with this app.
Nonetheless, it is still the best app I found on the app store, so I am more than happy to provide feedback:

• [bug] the clip tool now has a bug and the clip stroke won't disappear
  • [semi-bug, very annoying] the new zoom tool often is mistakenly triggered (terrible for live lectures). You should really allow to disable this new tool, as in a classroom environment this is VERY rarely needed (e.g. on a whiteboard you cannot zoom)
  • there is no control on the eraser size (which is massive) like in the Apple note-taker move faster or tilt pen for a bigger eraser
  • in class I find it very awkward to create a new page when I run out of space (sometime I just give up and create a new note insted). Further, when I move on to a new page I would often like to keep a bit of the context from the previous page... this is not possible at all. Having a continuous scroll (even as discrete events caused by a button) would be a huge improvement.
  • there is no *live sharing* functionality. I use BaiBoard to share whiteboards live with colleagues, but the stroke quality of evernote is just plainly superior.
  • almost impossible to draw points like you would on paper (small circular strokes interpreted as outliers?)
  • snapping tool in thew new version is way too aggressive (and lengthy to turn on/off?). Why not use the ruler just like the Apple application? I found that quite amazingly well designed.
  • there is no option to decide whether the toolbar should be on the left hand side or on the top side (there is a lot more real estate horizontally, when projecting you are essentially forced to use horizontal format otherwise the image is tiny, and your left hand would be a lot closer to the control toolbar so switches could be done a lot more efficiently)
  • new zooming tool does not zoom about the center of the ping gesture (very counter intuitive)

Feel free to ask me for clarifications if needed.

15 replies to this idea

I strongly support the:

• [semi-bug, very annoying] the new zoom tool often is mistakenly triggered (terrible for live lectures). You should really allow to disable this new tool, as in a classroom environment this is VERY rarely needed (e.g. on a whiteboard you cannot zoom)

I now use Evernote almost exclusively for writing notes with the Apple Pencil and this glitch is ver y annoying.

It would be great to get an acknowledgement from Evernote and an indication when this will be fixed.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Alex Wiggert said:

I strongly support the:

• [semi-bug, very annoying] the new zoom tool often is mistakenly triggered (terrible for live lectures). You should really allow to disable this new tool, as in a classroom environment this is VERY rarely needed (e.g. on a whiteboard you cannot zoom)

I now use Evernote almost exclusively for writing notes with the Apple Pencil and this glitch is ver y annoying.

It would be great to get an acknowledgement from Evernote and an indication when this will be fixed.

Thanks.

I'm adding my voice here too. I contacted support and although got a reply right away, I haven't seem any mention about this getting fixed. The original version with apple pencil support was PERFECT!! They then added zoom and ruined it. It's so bad I can't get more than two lines in without triggering a zoom, and with the pencil making other note taking apps better, I'm actively looking to switch away from Evernote. All I ask is for a toggle to turn the zoom gesture off. I happily have been paying for premium just to support the team ( I don't need the features or bandwidth ) but I will probably stop. 

Yes, if they responded to this important need in a timely fashion I would also consider buying a pro plan.
Otherwise I might switch to some other app in the long term :(

Too bad, hudreds of people see me use evernote during my classes, so it's quite a lot of free advertisement they'd lose.

I support all of these points, the zoom is probably the most annoying thing in Evernote right now, it is just triggered inadvertently far too often when trying to take notes using the pencil.

Quickly creating a new page when you come to the bottom or having a continuous scroll when in edit mode with the pencil is a feature that is severely lacking :( 

Finally - can we have the on / off for snapping added to the toolbar when using the pencil, or provide Apple's ruler like functionality?

On 2/4/2016 at 2:45 AM, Ataiya said:
  • there is no control on the eraser size (which is massive) like in the Apple note-taker move faster or tilt pen for a bigger eraser
  • in class I find it very awkward to create a new page when I run out of space (sometime I just give up and create a new note insted). Having a continuous scroll (even as discrete events caused by a button) would be a huge improvement.
  • snapping tool in thew new version is way too aggressive (and lengthy to turn on/off?). Why not use the ruler just like the Apple application?
  • Level 5

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The clip stroke not disappearing was fixed in version 7.11.

We'll look into options for better controlling zoom for a future release.

For "live sharing", I recommend using AirPlay to an Apple TV or to a Mac running Reflector 2.

Cheers,
Chuck

3 hours ago, cifip said:

We'll look into options for better controlling zoom for a future release. [THANK GOD]

For "live sharing", I recommend using AirPlay to an Apple TV or to a Mac running Reflector 2.

Hi Chuck, what you are calling "live sharing" I call it screen mirroring, and it's already what I am using in classrooms.
What I mean is a shared whiteboard that people from different countries can annotate on. You have almost all functionality there!!!
I know dozens of research teams that would love this functionality.

On 2016-03-29 at 4:41 PM, cifip said:

We'll look into options for better controlling zoom for a future release.

The simplest form is a toggle button option to disable zooming, similar to what you have for snapping.
Most people don't need zoom, and palm rejection is never going to be 100% accurate.

Thanks

20 hours ago, Ataiya said:

The simplest form is a toggle button option to disable zooming, similar to what you have for snapping.
Most people don't need zoom, and palm rejection is never going to be 100% accurate.

Thanks

Back here to beg for this again. A toggle and a conditional would patch it up for now. I'll add the toggle button myself and put an if check on the pinch gesture myself if you let me! :-p

I understand why you did it. When I used to work with "bad" pens and non-pro iPad, zoom was essential to write anything small. We just lived with the bad palm rejection ( I sometimes used a glove), but now that there is a proper pencil, pro users really don't need zoom.

Definitely need to fix the zoom problem.  This seems trivial to do from a coding point of view - just add a toggle button.  Why this can't be done immediately is not clear.

Also the fat eraser area is a big problem for me - l keep erasing stuff I didn't want erased.  How complicated can this be?  Penultimate already has this.  

Minor things like this turn what would be a phenomenal productivity tool into something I am already looking for alternatives for after just a couple of weeks use.

On 26/04/2016 at 2:01 PM, George99 said:

Definitely need to fix the zoom problem.  This seems trivial to do from a coding point of view - just add a toggle button.  Why this can't be done immediately is not clear.

Also the fat eraser area is a big problem for me - l keep erasing stuff I didn't want erased.  How complicated can this be?  Penultimate already has this.  

Minor things like this turn what would be a phenomenal productivity tool into something I am already looking for alternatives for after just a couple of weeks use.

Totally, this is the only issue I have using my iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. It's virtually unusable with random zoom & really slows down the note taking if you have to keep zooming out again. Surely not a hard feature to implement a 'zoom lock' toggle. I had thought it was because I write left handed but presume now.

9 hours ago, Ldn_guy said:

Totally, this is the only issue I have using my iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. It's virtually unusable with random zoom & really slows down the note taking if you have to keep zooming out again. Surely not a hard feature to implement a 'zoom lock' toggle. I had thought it was because I write left handed but presume now.

I've just completely abandoned evernote.
Try "Notability" -- it's borderline perfect.
Still no zoom disable, but it's a lot less sensitive.

If they still haven't fixed the issues I reported back then.. I feel sorry for their dev team.. you are failing your mission.

The eraser size is an issue for me too. It takes way too long to have to zoom in every time you need to erase something that's smaller than the size of a snow cone. Just add a couple eraser sizes. Don't even nest them into a two-click ordeal. Just put a small, medium, and large right there on the nav, accessible at all times. 

Archived