Bug: slow when turn on the Context funciton

iilaplex

Idea

If I turn on the Context function, Evernote will be slow, even if I only type some few words.

If I turn off this function, it will become better.

Does anyone give some help?

Note: I have 6500 notes in total.

Thanks,

iilaplex

post-88793-0-73870500-1427640133_thumb.p

15 replies to this idea

Hi.  The slowness is a function of the resources used by Evernote in looking for similar/ related notes and content.  What is it that you need help with?

Maybe in the next version, the evernote product team could polish the logic when the program should look for similar notes, e.g. after a period of time user are not typing words?

This is my hardware, is it outdated already?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    MacBook Air
  Model Identifier:    MacBookAir6,2
  Processor Name:    Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:    1.7 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    4 MB
  Memory:    8 GB

• Level 5*

Not saying your hardware is outdated,  just pointing out that running Context in real time on several different resources including your 6,500 notes is going to take some power.  And because context is supposed to suggest options while you're typing,  it can't really wait until you finish before running a search.  Not defending,  just saying.

• Level 5*

I haven't seen anything published by Evernote on exactly how EN Context works, have you @Gaz?

While I don't know, it does not make sense to me that EN Context would immediately start its search after you have typed only a few characters.  I would think it would at least wait for a complete sentence, or maybe even several sentences.  After all, we do a lot of editing as we are typing, so it would seem to waste resources searching too quickly.  And if you examine the way most people create/type/edit, there are a lot of pauses.   So actually, I would expect EN Context to wait for such a pause.

Again, I don't know, but I have got the impression that EN Context is mostly run on the EN Cloud servers, not on the local machine.  Of course, some amount of processing is necessary to select the text to send to the Cloud for searching, but that should be minimal.

Bottom line, I would not expect EN Context to have much impact on my computer.  Maybe I'm wrong -- it's just a guess.

• Level 5*

Search can be your friend...

In Evernote, every phrase informs our algorithms about what other content might help you further your project. We call this Context. 

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/10/02/context-work-enriched-smartest-minds/

Context can display a variety of content that’s related to what you’re working on as you’re working

https://evernote.com/context/faq/

If you include the name of the person you’re meeting with in your note, and you’re connected to that person on LinkedIn, you’ll see their LinkedIn profile pop up in the Context section.

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/11/03/context-dont-just-work-best-work/

• Level 5*

@Gaz:  Yes, but none of your quotes state that it searches "as you are typing".

"as you're working" could mean anytime the Note is open for edit, whether typing or after a pause.

They also don't say where the processing is done.

Point is we just don't know, so it is best to not jump to conclusions about the impact on our computer.

• Level 5*

It's actually not a free forum -- it is owned by Evernote and subject to their rules.  Freedom of speech doesn't apply here.

But, that excepted, everyone can express their opinion within Evernote's rules.  

I just think it's best to be clear when it is an opinion vs relaying facts about the product.  And to be clear, that is my opinion.   ;)

• Level 5*

I'm much more interested in other Evernote users not being confused by people who state opinions as if they were facts, especially when they are made by people who are posting in a platform forum for which they do not use that platform.

• Level 5*

Context is also applicable in Windows (fact),  and I think confusion also arises when someone intervenes repeatedly,  unnecessarily and off the main topic in a thread.  But hey that's just my opinion.    

• Level 5*

Context is also applicable in Windows (fact),  and I think confusion also arises when someone intervenes repeatedly,  unnecessarily and off the main topic in a thread.  But hey that's just my opinion.    

But this is a MAC thread, and Context, like many other features, may well be implemented differently than in Windows.  We have seen this many times, even in features one would expect to be the same, like Search.

IMO, your characterization of my posts is completely incorrect.  My first post in this thread was to give my opinion about Context, which is clearly ON topic.  Intervention is only necessary when you make a post stating opinions as facts about a platform that you don't use.  I don't know exactly how Context works, but neither do you.

Just to remind you and get us back on topic, here is my first post.  Everything in my post below is completely ON-topic.  If anyone has any facts about Context, or would like to offer their opinion, please do so.  I'd love to hear from Evernote on how Context works.

I haven't seen anything published by Evernote on exactly how EN Context works, have you @Gaz?

While I don't know, it does not make sense to me that EN Context would immediately start its search after you have typed only a few characters.  I would think it would at least wait for a complete sentence, or maybe even several sentences.  After all, we do a lot of editing as we are typing, so it would seem to waste resources searching too quickly.  And if you examine the way most people create/type/edit, there are a lot of pauses.   So actually, I would expect EN Context to wait for such a pause.

Again, I don't know, but I have got the impression that EN Context is mostly run on the EN Cloud servers, not on the local machine.  Of course, some amount of processing is necessary to select the text to send to the Cloud for searching, but that should be minimal.

Bottom line, I would not expect EN Context to have much impact on my computer.  Maybe I'm wrong -- it's just a guess.

Archived