EMERGENCY! Local notebook deleted

Hey everyone, sorry if i'm out of line and don't know how this forum works but this is my last resort! 

I take notes for all my classes on evernote on my mac. 

Today when I restarted my computer, Evernote randomly decided to update itself and showed a welcome screen when I reopened the app. And that's when I saw it- my local notebook was GONE! 

This notebook contained all the notes for my toughest class :( I work on this about 15 hours a week and it's a super detrimental loss. 

I don't have time machine installed on my computer... I didn't think this sort of thing could happen without it Asking me if I was sure about deleting something. 

I've desperately googled but no information so far about if there's any possible chance of recovering my work. 

I'm really freaked out- any advice would be super appreciated!!! 

-oliver 

• Level 5

It has been mentioned over and over again on this forum - local notebooks are not synchronized and therefore not in the Evernote cloud.

It is the responsibility of the user to maintain an accurate and up to date set of backups for local notebooks.

If you don't have time machine or a backup, you won't be able to retrieve your local notebook.

You should submit a support request anyways.

If it was caused by a recent Evernote update, they might have a better suggestion.

• Level 5*

Not sure that updating would have given you a "welcome" screen as such - can you see your 'other' current notes apart from this local notebook,  or is it that you have no notes at all now?  Could you have accidentally created another account and logged back into the wrong one?

If not,  check your Trash notebook just in case there are deleted notes there - you won't see a notebook,  just (maybe) the notes it used to contain.

And yes,  I agree with @ jbenson2 - if all else fails,  raise a 'lost data' request by choosing "bug/ lost data ..." in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

You'll get a ticket number in response - post that back here and we'll flag the ticket for an Admin to look at...

• Level 5

One other comment: In the 6 years I have used Evernote (Windows version), I have never seen it randomly decide to update itself.

There is a pop-up screen (A new version of Evernote is available!) that explains what has been changed with the latest upgrade.

The pop-up screen asks if you want to proceed:

• Skip This Version
  • Remind Me Later
  • Download

I believe the same process happens with Mac. Your permission is required to perform an update.

• Level 5*

Hey everyone, sorry if i'm out of line and don't know how this forum works but this is my last resort! 

I take notes for all my classes on evernote on my mac. 

Today when I restarted my computer, Evernote randomly decided to update itself and showed a welcome screen when I reopened the app. And that's when I saw it- my local notebook was GONE! 

. . .

I'm really freaked out- any advice would be super appreciated!!! 

-oliver 

I know it seems like disaster has struck, but try to remain calm and don't take any rash actions.

I have seen this before with EN Mac that after an update the Local Notebooks seem to disappear.

But actually, they are still there, just not being detected by the new version of Evernote.

You can try the following, in this order, checking for your lost Local NB after each step:

1. Sign out of EN Mac, restart your Mac, sign back in to EN Mac

2. Re-download & Re-install the Evernote.app (but not your data)

(this just replaces the EN app and leaves your data in place)

1. Quit Evernote.app and Helper app in menu
    2. Drag Evernote.app to Mac Trash
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Download EN Mac from the Evernote.com web site
    5. Install EN Mac
    6. Start EN Mac and let it run for at least 10-15 min
    7. If your lost Local NB does not appear, repeat Step #1.

Report back here if you see anything unusual, and with your progress.

This notebook contained all the notes for my toughest class :( I work on this about 15 hours a week and it's a super detrimental loss. 

I don't have time machine installed on my computer... I didn't think this sort of thing could happen without it Asking me if I was sure about deleting something.

I would suggest you regularly backup your local database. You say you didn't think "this sort of thing could happen". What if your computer's hard drive crashed & the data was unrecoverable? What if your computer were lost/stolen?

Archived