Account resync attempt limit exceeded, terminating

Victor G

Evernote stopped syncing today on Windows. This error keeps coming up. Any help appreciated.

What is the exact message you are getting?  The phrase "limit exceeded" sounds like you've exceeded your monthly upload limit & will either need to wait until your cycle refreshes or upgrade to premium.

• 1 month later...

This issue is causing me horrendous problems, I raised a support ticket and apparently according to Evernote tech support "there is no workaround and their devs are working on it". Not much help when you need to sync notes to use on another device elsewhere.

• Level 5*

This issue is causing me horrendous problems, I raised a support ticket and apparently according to Evernote tech support "there is no workaround and their devs are working on it". Not much help when you need to sync notes to use on another device elsewhere.

"This issue" being what?   What exact error messages are you seeing?  What versions of Evernote / Windows are you using?

I am also having this problem. It started after I deleted a bunch of old Notebooks that were no longer relevant.

Evernote for Windows 5.8.4.6870 (274870) PublicOS: Windows 6.3.9600 User: jguilbaultMemory: 73.6MBCreated: 2015/03/27 08:31:41---Bootstrap info: loadedDatabase<bootstrap_info><profile name="Evernote"><settings account_email_domain="m.evernote.com" cardscanUrl="https://cscan.evernote.com/cardagain" enable_facebook_sharing="1" enable_gift_subscriptions="1" enable_google="1" enable_linkedin_sharing="1" enable_shared_notebooks="1" enable_single_notesharing="1" enable_sponsored_accounts="1" enable_support_tickets="1" enable_twitter_sharing="1" marketing_url="https://evernote.com" service_host="www.evernote.com" support_url="https://evernote.com/contact/support/"/></profile></bootstrap_info>---08:25:34 [15492] 0% Expunging server note "{0A63968E-EE36-4A23-AF5F-3657658FDF28}"08:25:34 [15492] 0% Expunging server note "{0856A28E-F7F3-43F5-B0B2-DFCE4C33BB52}"08:25:34 [15492] 0% Expunging server note "{2155ED8E-B651-4405-AB7E-11D79CE6963B}"08:25:34 [15492] 0% Expunging server note "{5158F78E-CD1F-4434-BA65-3C7FED20EAF3}"08:25:37 [15492] 0% * updateCount: 117901 --> 118001 (200)08:25:37 [15492] 0% Server database has been updated, resyncing...08:25:52 [15492] 0% Account resync attempt limit exceeded, terminating08:25:52 [15872] Client synchronization finished, status: failed08:25:52 [15872] * elapsed time: 1m 21s08:26:03 [16048] Finding related content for note 7435708:26:04 [8556] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s308:26:07 [16048] Finding related content for note 8085508:26:11 [16048] * Retrieved from server 1 related content items for note 8085508:31:12 [13356] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2015/03/27 08:30:0008:31:12 [13356] Reengagement Notifications - session logged

Specifically:

08:25:52 [15492] 0% Account resync attempt limit exceeded, terminating08:25:52 [15872] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

I am also a Premium subscriber. I have 3.8GB of upload allowance remaining.

Relatedly, is this the best place to ask for help as a Premium subscriber? Should I be trying to contact Technical Support somewhere else?

EDIT: I have tried all the solutions recommended in this article (Knowledge Base: "I am having problems syncing. What should I do?"), EXCEPT uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote (which I assume will cost me several hours of work organizing my notes, since the sync fails).

• Level 5*

Don't know if its one of the things you've tried,  but if you have carried out a major re-organisation on desktop client,  try re-doing some of the larger changes - deleting or moving notebooks (if you can) - via EN Web.  You may find that having things to sync both ways helps to encourage completion of the operation.  If that fails,  you could backup your current database folder and export* any unsynced note / local notebooks,  then

1. uninstall / restart / reinstall the app (which should not affect your data,  at this point the backup is for safety only);  if sync still fails
  2. rename your database folder and allow the server to rebuild the old format from the server,  then rename the new database folder and reinstate the old one,  and re-import any exported notes.

* always export notebook by notebook to separate files,  or tag all notes with the name of their containing notebook;  and check the export options include tags.

Okay. So the error message is misleading. At every sync, SOME of the changes get synced. So with each sync, the status of the database gets closer to correct.  I'm going to monitor it, and hopefully, over the course of the next few days, it all gets reconciled and I stop getting errors.

The actual situation seems to be "Sync PARTIALLY failed. Some changes still pending."

• 5 months later...

Any update on this? I am getting partial syncs when I moved several hundred notes from one notebook to another on the Windows client. Same "Account resync attempt limit exceeded, terminating" error.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote have made improvements with syncing in updates this year, but AFAIK they're not looking at this situation - it seems most likely to be a function of sending and receiving lots of data about changes and being unable to complete it in one sync.  If some of the message gets through but the operation fails to complete,  then you get the error.  The primary fix is - keep trying...

I was informed via support ticket that they have determined this is an issue, will be assigning a priority, and fixing it in the future. Hopefully that means it is being looked at seriously.

With each time I have installed the app, all my content was downloaded in one smooth sync. There's no reason that should work, yet smaller changes (even if somewhat more complex) should fail after syncing between 8 and 20 notes.

If Evernote is to have a trusted, reliable syncing solution that helps justify an "unlimited" uploads for premium accounts, sync shouldn't fail so easily.

• Level 5*

I agree that sync fails shouldn't happen,  but there are so many variables in the equation from your home internet connection to the server that I would think it's impossible to eliminate all chance of error;  there'll always be fails,  we're just hoping for fewer of them...

And you may know that 'unlimited' thing got toned down to 10GB after a short while...

Of course all errors can't be eliminated, but this is an Evernote issue. Same error, like clockwork every few notes, with an otherwise perfectly great Internet connection. The error is preceded each time by something like "server side changed, resyncing..." So I agree sync cannot eliminate all errors, but this is a flat out bug, and there's no reason it shouldn't be fixed ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

That error just started with me 2 days ago. I've just upgraded to the latest and I still get it.

I am not tempted to re-create my database, which I have been doing about every 4 months because of different sync issues.

I hate that I can't trust my information with evernote. I am tired of comparing 6,000 notes manually with web (which I have done multiple times) to find out which note is missing.

I wish Evernote could at least provide a tool for comparing.

I just submitted a ticket on this issue after doing a bit of troubleshooting. Here is what I submitted:

----------------------------------------------------------------
I've been getting the "Account resync attempt limit exceeded, terminating" error in the last 2 days. 

On my desktop Evernote I had moved approximately 150 files from Notebook A to Notebook B and this seems to have caused the issue. 

I compared with the web and about 119 files on the web were still in Notebook A.   So on my Windows version, I moved those 119 files back into Notebook A did a sync and finally got a successful sync.

Then, to test the issue, on the desktop I selected 25 of those notes in Notebook A and moved them into Notebook B.  I synced.  Sync took 5 min 40 seconds and showed an error. I went to the web version and saw that only 20 of those 25 files had been properly moved into the new folder. 

Basically sync is only able to move 20 files at a time, and it takes almost 6 minutes to do that.

I then hit sync again on my desktop to see if the other 5 files would get moved on the web and if my sync error would disappear. Sync took just a bit over 1 minute and was successful.

So there is definitely an issue when one can't move more than 20 files into a different notebook without encountering a sync issue.

Archived