Accessing notes that have been shared with me.

Try moving shared notes into a notebook that you keep for that purpose.  Your copy of the notes should be searchable and permanently visible.

Shared notes (not notebooks) can only be accessed from Work Chat. You can copy it to a notebook, but that's now a copy - not the original (changes won't sync).

At the top right corner of the Work Chat thread, there's a paperclip with a number next to it - that is all the attachments in the thread. That can provide a quicker way to access the note (no need to scroll up the thread).

• Level 5*

Hey, I had just discovered the paperclip, and was going to post here about it. Still haven't used Work Chat to any great extent, as I only share notebooks between my two accounts these days, so I don't know the ins & outs.

• 2 weeks later...

Try moving shared notes into a notebook that you keep for that purpose.  Your copy of the notes should be searchable and permanently visible.

Shared notes (not notebooks) can only be accessed from Work Chat. You can copy it to a notebook, but that's now a copy - not the original (changes won't sync).

At the top right corner of the Work Chat thread, there's a paperclip with a number next to it - that is all the attachments in the thread. That can provide a quicker way to access the note (no need to scroll up the thread).

This is the exact issue I'm facing and as of the EN 6 update...there is no paperclip to be found!! Really need to access notes without scrolling through many many conversations. Thanks!

• Level 5*

This is the exact issue I'm facing and as of the EN 6 update...there is no paperclip to be found!! Really need to access notes without scrolling through many many conversations. Thanks!

There is no version 6 for Windows, as of this moment; current beta is 5.8.4.xxx; are you using the Mac client? This is the Windows forum.

• 9 months later...

You are all kidding right? I can find shared notebooks just in workChat???

is this logical/expected for normal Application behaviour in 2015?

Additionally I can make copy of it if I copy it to my notebook but they will never be synced again??? I mean WHAT A HELL evernote team??? Are you trying to annoy your users??? 

I was really considering long term commiting to evernote use and buying premium but what for when app is annoying, difficult to use and has illogicaly hidden features even when u pay.. 

Ah what a disappointment :((((

• Level 5*
Shared notes (not notebooks) can only be accessed from Work Chat.

Evernote has a learning curve just like any other application.  If you want to add a shared notebook to your account,  you can do so and it will stay actively synced.

• 1 month later...

I agree that a "Shared Notes" section would be nice, but I have a feeling that the Evernote people would rather us get the premium/corporate edition.  Anyway, here's workaround that I've used:

Create your own note titled something like, "Other's Shared Notes."  Then, whenever someone shares a note with you:

• Open the shared note
  • Go to Note > Copy Note Link
  • Open your locally stored "Other's Shared Notes" and paste the link

You can fine tune this in a couple of ways.  You could have one large locally stored note with categorized lists of shared note links, or perhaps several locally stored notes that have links to a specific set of shared notes.  Whatever goes along with your work flow.

Using this method allows you to both search and access shared notes. :)

• Level 5*

Free users can share and receive shares from any other user at any level.  There's no advantage to being a paying subscriber if you're being shared to.  It is better,  if lots of notes are being shared with you,  to join a shared notebook where you can see,  and optionally edit,  any notes added to that notebook.  Agreed it's a good idea to label your shares both incoming and outgoing.  I have stacks for 'Shared Notebooks' and 'Shared-in Notebooks'.

Archived