How to remove a notebook from the device only?

Is there a way to exclude a notebook from synchronizing with Android app? In other words, I do not want some notebooks to be visible on my device at all (so there should not be even option to hide/unhide a notebook on the device itself).

It is dangerous for business, health or even life to store some sort of notes on the phone. PIN code is not an option, because I may be forced to enter it.

As a temporary solution, I have tried to rename a notebook and put it in the group, so it will not be easily detected in the list, but "All Notes" screen reveals the notes, and "Notebooks" screen shows "Recent Notebooks" section with the notebook, so this sort of "hiding" has no sense.

I have tried to move the "very personal" notebooks to another account, but then it is very inconvenient to use a web clipper, as I have to relogin all the time.

Am I missing something? Really, a phone can get to wrong hands very easily.

• Level 5*

Notebooks aren't "downloaded" to any mobile device unless specifically set as 'offline searchable' because most mobile devices don't have a lot of spare storage,  and some databases can be very large.  So even if the notebook was deleted from your device,  all the notes would still be visible in the search index and could be downloaded and opened if required.  There doesn't seem to be any work-around that meets all your requirements - best I can suggest is that (last I knew) shared notebooks weren't visible in the mobile client,  so if you share a notebook from your second account to the primary,  it won't be visible on the mobile device when logged in to the primary account.  But then you can't clip to that notebook without logging out and back in again,  which you already said is sub-optimal.  So - no clue.  Sorry.

• Level 5

Really, a phone can get to wrong hands very easily.

Yes, it can. That is why the solution for a non-sync'd notebook is to create it on your Windows or Mac desktop client.  If you do that, the information will remain on your computer and nowhere else. When you create the notebook, be sure to select the non-sync'd (local) version. It will not show on your phone, on the Evernote web.com site. And due to this extra security, it is your responsibility to back it up. You cannot get it from the Evernote cloud.

When you create the notebook, be sure to select the non-sync'd (local) version.

Interesting idea! It may be a reasonable solution to my needs.

By the way, where is a local notebook stored on the Windows computer, so I can set up an automatic backup?

• Level 5

When you create the notebook, be sure to select the non-sync'd (local) version.

Interesting idea! It may be a reasonable solution to my needs.

By the way, where is a local notebook stored on the Windows computer, so I can set up an automatic backup?

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

It is stored inside the file that has the extension .exb

There are different opinions on how to back it up.
You can either 1.) back up the entire .exb file or 2.) use the export feature inside Evernote (right click) to export just the local notebook as an .enex file.

Before you get too deep into the local non-sync'd notebook, I'd suggest you test it out with some trivial data.

Archived