HDI search only my own user created content?

Quick overview: I use EN for 3 things

- Clippings from the web (articles, web pages etc)

- Scanning documents (PDF's stored in EN)

- Writing notes

Whenever I do a search it brings up a whole bunch of noisy ***** from the articles and paperless documents I've scanned.

eg for "window". I'm trying to find the notes i made about window frame sizes for DIY. Now obviously I don't know if I remembered to tag it correctly or whatever so saying just use categories or notebook specific search doesn't help.

The point is I just want to search my stuff and not have a bunch of useless scans and articles crowding out all the results.

I've tried a bunch of search options, but cant get it right. 

This seems like it should be a really obvious need.... 

Any ideas??

• Level 5*

"Window" is a pretty common word; seems obvious that you'll need to specify more than that, or organize so that you can winnow down the false positives. If you have "useless" scans and articles, why would you keep them in Evernote?

But if you want to exclude PDF files, use "-resource:application/pdf"

"Window" is a pretty common word; seems obvious that you'll need to specify more than that, or organize so that you can winnow down the false positives. If you have "useless" scans and articles, why would you keep them in Evernote?

Well actually, window is not a common word for the notes I've made. Only 2 notes in total. 

If you have "useless" scans and articles, why would you keep them in Evernote?

Obviously because in context the scans are useless to the task at hand (searching *my* notes)? To be clear the scans are useful for record keeping, and the articles are interesting. Which is why I have them in EN to begin with  ;)

But if you want to exclude PDF files, use "-resource:application/pdf"

So I guess one could save that as saved search. Still it doesn't solve the issue of all the web articles showing up.

I'm thinking I might need to create 3 separate evernote accounts. One for my notes. And one for interesting clippings. And one for scanned records. Seems like a huge pain just to solve what should be a fairly straightforward use case.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure what you're looking to do. Any search should filter away the things that are useless for your present task. The trick is to understand what you have, and use the in-built categorization tools to make it easier to filter out what you don't need.

So what would be the solution that you'd propose to change the way that Evernote works?

I'm not sure what you're looking to do. Any search should filter away the things that are useless for your present task. 

Let me explain, say I had a dream about clouds and I logged it in my dream journal in evernote. Now months later I think.. "hey remember that weird dream about clouds I had" I can't remember anything else, just "cloud".

So guess what. I type that in and I get a hundreds of articles and clippings I've collected in my results (cloud servers, icloud whatever), and somewhere in there is my journal. 

Now you might say I should have tagged it "dream" or something. Sure, but maybe I just want any mention of clouds in my notes to see if there is a connection. 

The point is, once you have a bunch of content from outside that you didn't create, it becomes a mess. 

So what would be the solution that you'd propose to change the way that Evernote works?

Well I'd like to see a "My Content" search option. That only searches stuff I wrote via the desktop or mobile app. Anything clipped or imported from other sources should be excluded.

Well I'd like to see a "My Content" search option. That only searches stuff I wrote via the desktop or mobile app. Anything clipped or imported from other sources should be excluded.

Try searching on the "source:" parameter (see the Evernote KB https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23245321)

So to get all notes that are not web clippings, it would be "-source:web.clip"

• Level 5*

Per Metrodon, tag your stuff My.Content or create a notebook for your content and use stacks if need be. If you don't like addung the tag then use the -source:web.clip per Jeff. It's all your stuff at the end of the day and how you decide to use EN dictates how easy it is, or not. Most of us have a mish mash of stuff, you can add emai, images and documents to your list. Some use tags, some use keywords, some just search, but all have their process that best suits their needs. FWIW.

• Level 5*

If you take time to write down your dreams, it should take about 10 seconds longer to add a tag or two. Not much overhead there for some simple, broad categorization.

Archived