Notebook dropdown list

When a note is selected, on the top left of the note display is a dropdown box that is used to change the notebook the note is assigned to.  At the top of the list it gives you the three last used notebooks under the heading Recent.  I am going through my notes and moving a lot of them around.  It would be extremely helpful if this list would show the last 5 notebooks used instead of the last 3.  Is there a registry setting or someplace I am unaware of that this can be changed?

One workaround (not sure if theres a reg hack) that might work if you are on an organization binge would be to temporarily make shortcuts for relevant notebooks. You can make lots of shortcuts, and this would allow you to quickly drag and drop notes to those notebooks. When your done your org. binge, you can remove the shortcuts if they are no longer needed. 

• Level 5*

*sigh*  You Mac types. No Windowz Skillz. :)

A registry DWORD value named "RecentNotebooksCount" seems to do the trick. You'll probably need to exit Evernote entirely, set the new value in the registry, then restart Evernote.

I just set mine to 8!! 

Thanks, jefito, because adding a bunch of notebook shortcuts to the shortcut bar does NOT allow assigning notes to those notebooks.  Dragging any note to a shortcut just tries to create a new shortcut.  All shortcuts do is open notebooks.  I'm looking for an easy way to assign notes to a different notebook and shortcuts doesn't do that, but increasing the Recent list does.  Thanks for the registry hack.

• Level 5*

*sigh*  You Mac types. No Windowz Skillz. :)

A registry DWORD value named "RecentNotebooksCount" seems to do the trick. You'll probably need to exit Evernote entirely, set the new value in the registry, then restart Evernote.

I just set mine to 8!! 

Geez, I only have 10.  What do I do?   ;)

• 2 years later...

Hi, although this is more than 2 years after the last post, I don't seem to remember this problem before now. I would like to attempt this registry hack - but I don't know what it is or how to start it. Can you give me some steps please? thanks

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, hilwalk said:

Hi, although this is more than 2 years after the last post, I don't seem to remember this problem before now. I would like to attempt this registry hack - but I don't know what it is or how to start it. Can you give me some steps please? thanks

I don't think that you need to mess with the registry any more. Try Tools / Options / Navigation / "Maximum number of recent notebooks". 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, hilwalk said:

thanks, Jeff, but I don't have a Tools option...not even greyed out!

You are using the native Windows client, not the web client (i.e. in your browser)? Tool is a top-level menu item in the native Windows client; no other Evernote application uses the Windows registry.

Archived