Lost .enex file association (Win 8)

Ataraxius

I've been a premium user of EN for several years. I have over 4,000 notes in it.

However, recently, when I click on an .ENEX file on my desktop, my Windows 8.1 asks "How do you want to open this file?". OK, apparently this file extension is no longer associated with EN for some reason.

So I click the "more options" and look at the list of possible options.  EN is not listed. 

Then I scroll down to the bottom of the list and click on "Look for another app on this PC" which takes me to File Explorer and lists the contents of C:\windows\Program Files directory  but EN is not listed there, either.

OK, so now I look in the C:/windows/programfiles(x86) directory but it's not there, either.

I don't find any traces of where EN lives in my computer. I know it's "hiding" somewhere because I use it daily and I have the EN icon in my system tray,   (It seems to work fine, otherwise. It just won't load exterior .ENEX files.)

So, my big question is, where does the EN program live in my computer?  (I'm talking about the application program, not my data files  - I know where they are.)  How do I find the application program so that I can associate .ENEX files to it????   (How does one lose this association in the first place? Has something been messing with my registry?)

Thanks. This is a weird one.... 

Thanks, Jefito-

Tried that. Nothing!

The search found all kinds of references to evernote.exe in text files, applogs, etc. but did not find the actual Evernote.exe program file anywhere. 

Any other guesses?

Why would EN be "hiding" when all of my other programs are visible in a normal manner? Weird....

Thanks again

I've been a premium user of EN for several years. I have over 4,000 notes in it.

However, recently, when I click on an .ENEX file on my desktop, my Windows 8.1 asks "How do you want to open this file?". OK, apparently this file extension is no longer associated with EN for some reason.

So I click the "more options" and look at the list of possible options.  EN is not listed. 

Then I scroll down to the bottom of the list and click on "Look for another app on this PC" which takes me to File Explorer and lists the contents of C:\windows\Program Files directory  but EN is not listed there, either.

OK, so now I look in the C:/windows/programfiles(x86) directory but it's not there, either.

I don't find any traces of where EN lives in my computer. I know it's "hiding" somewhere because I use it daily and I have the EN icon in my system tray,   (It seems to work fine, otherwise. It just won't load exterior .ENEX files.)

So, my big question is, where does the EN program live in my computer?  (I'm talking about the application program, not my data files  - I know where they are.)  How do I find the application program so that I can associate .ENEX files to it????   (How does one lose this association in the first place? Has something been messing with my registry?)

Thanks. This is a weird one.... 

Why are you trying to invoke Evernote by clicking an enex file?  Enex files are used to import/export notes from one account (or exb file) to another. 

• Level 5*

Indeed, I don't have .enex files associated with Evernote on my Win 7 machine; I wasn't even aware that that was a thing -- I'm not sure that Evernote sets that up, anyways, though it's not inconceivable.

Why are you trying to invoke Evernote by clicking an enex file?  Enex files are used to import/export notes from one account (or exb file) to another. 

I want to be able to call up specific notes from (local) links in my mind-mapping software (Freemind) so that I can read AND EDIT them.  If I drag/drop the note over into Freemind, it creates a _local_ link to an .ENEX file located on my computer

I was hoping that this would simply load it right into EN and allow me to edit the text, add tags, search, etc. and use all of the power that EN offers.

If, on the other hand, I do it the "correct way" by right-clicking on the item in the list window and either Share --> "Copy Note URL" or "Copy Note Link" it generates the web-based URL which does not allow editing and does not give me the ability to add tags, etc.

(Thanks for your help.).

I want to be able to call up specific notes from (local) links in my mind-mapping software (Freemind) so that I can read AND EDIT them.  If I drag/drop the note over into Freemind, it creates a _local_ link to an .ENEX file located on my computer

I was hoping that this would simply load it right into EN and allow me to edit the text, add tags, search, etc. and use all of the power that EN offers.

If, on the other hand, I do it the "correct way" by right-clicking on the item in the list window and either Share --> "Copy Note URL" or "Copy Note Link" it generates the web-based URL which does not allow editing and does not give me the ability to add tags, etc.

(Thanks for your help.).

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can export selected notes to enex & then possibly edit them with another app.  (However, as with anything technical, you'd need to be fluent in enex to avoid mucking up the enex & possibly creating a problem when you later import the enex file.)  But...when you import the enex file, all those notes are going to be new notes...  Importing the modified enex will not modify the existing notes that initially created the enex file.  So you will have two sets of notes.  The original ones & the newly modified ones.  I don't know if you care about that or not.

Also, yes, you can copy notes with the 'copy to notebook' function.  I do it all the time.

• Level 5*

One example:  I have a note which is a template for documenting phone calls.  I have an ENEX file of the note on the desktop which when double clicked creates a copy of the note in EN.  Much quicker than the right click Copy Note ... process.  FWIW.

Relative to location it is at  "Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" on a Windows 8 machine near me.

That's a good point about the duplication of the note. I didn't think about that.  What a mess that would be!

I guess this just isn't going to work quite like I wanted it to. ;-(

The best way to do it would probably be to find some sort of 3rd-party add-on that sits "inside" EN and adds fully integrated mind-mapping capability to it.  Some companies are starting to show signs of heading in that direction such as moh.io,  Their mind-map analyses the existing note structure of EN and then constructs a map of it based on the tags and notebooks. However, it does not seem to let me create a new map of my own design. (Maybe they are working on that???)  I am not aware of anyone who is working on a capabilty for building a map from scratch and then allowing the user to selectively and directly link various EN notes into its nodes and allow EN to display the notes.  That's one for the "feature request list", I guess.

Thanks again for all of your help!

• Level 5*

I got a bit lost on the detail here,  but for the record I use MindJet mind mapping and regularly embed little elephants here and there which lead to individual notes.  That's the Right-Click note title,   Ctrl+"Copy Note Link" to get an evernote:// link to that note in my laptop database.

Evernote's current views don't include anything like a mindmap,  and MohioMap (IMHO) isn't a mindmap either.  It's a brilliant way to look at information,  but it's too connected together to plan or structure something out.  ConceptDraw in the App Center (see below) integrates a classic mindmap view with Evernote data,  but I already use MindJet and I can always save a mindmap as a JPG in a note...

You can probably use the same links and attached maps with any mindmapping software.

It would be nice if alongside List and Snippet views,  there was also a MindMap view to connect notes together,  but with one or two external apps it seems to me it's possible to find workarounds if you need them..

Archived