Needed: Share tags publicly OR duplicate notes to new notebook

I know there are other threads on this, but the more the merrier.

I am a researcher with an extensive evernote archive. I use primarily the web clipper and have 5,000 or so notes. They are sorted into about 20 notebooks according their medium (image, report, audio, news article, video, etc.) and they are tagged based on several hundred intersecting topics (e.g., europe, EU, Turkey, democratization, accession, constitution, civil society, etc.)

Say I want to share everything I have saved about Turkey with someone. I have about 500 notes I would like to make available, but there is absolutely no way for me to do that unless I move them each to a single notebook... thus stripping them their classifications and half of my matrix hierarchy.

I REALLY need to be able to share based on tags (ideally) or duplicate and copy to a notebook that I can then share. The database I am constantly curating is made obsolete by my inability to make it available.

Evernote has been the most amazing tool to gather all my difference sources, but this is a pretty glaring hole that is disappointing to have not been addressed despite all the user feedback. 

Please help with this! 

• Level 5*

Duplicating a set of notes from different notebooks, on a one-off basis, should be no problem on the desktop (Windows or Mac): filter to all of your Turkey notes via tag, select them all, and export the selection to Evernote format (.enex) on your local hard drive. Then re-import that .enex file back in; it should come in as a single notebook, separate from all of your others. Share that.

Duplicating a set of notes from different notebooks, on a one-off basis, should be no problem on the desktop (Windows or Mac): filter to all of your Turkey notes via tag, select them all, and export the selection to Evernote format (.enex) on your local hard drive. Then re-import that .enex file back in; it should come in as a single notebook, separate from all of your others. Share that.

Thanks for the reply! That's a good point - I've tried it before, but honestly I avoid the OS X application as much as possible. It's pretty glitchy and hardly ever successfully syncs for me. If it gets close it often takes leaving it overnight and still is a bit unmanageable.

I have a support thread opened about that (waiting for the relaunch in beta now). I can't really blame it... I have a lot of stuff saved haha

But yes let me try that on my computer that has the app.

• Level 5*

In the Windows desktop client:

• search for tag:<name>
  • click in search results window and select all
  • right-click and "copy notes to..." <temporary notebook>
  • share.
  • Level 5*

In the Windows desktop client:

• search for tag:<name>
  • click in search results window and select all
  • right-click and "copy notes to..." <temporary notebook>
  • share.

Yep, that works too, and is easier than exporting. Guessing that you can do it in the Mac client as well.

Just a question about the proposed solution of making a copy of the notes to be shared.   Is this not creating a big future problem because now you have duplicates upon duplicates of your existing notes.  If you make a change, or one of the people that you shared the note with makes a change, then how can this be reflected in the original note?

Just a question about the proposed solution of making a copy of the notes to be shared.   Is this not creating a big future problem because now you have duplicates upon duplicates of your existing notes.  If you make a change, or one of the people that you shared the note with makes a change, then how can this be reflected in the original note?

If the person you shared the Note with made changes, then no, they would not be reflected in the original Note.  However, you would have the original Note preserved as an archive Note if you will.

In my use case, the shared Note is a conversation/collaboration tool, not my final product Note.  The Notes are in separate Notebooks allowing me to easily identify which is which, allowing me to later delete the one I don't need/want.  Preservation of original Note in it's original context at times is critical for me and during the project I don't consider them 'duplicates', and I only have one duplicate as you say (per project), not duplicates upon duplicates.  When the project is complete, I have already deleted the Note(s) that are not needed.

Once again, it depends on your use case and your workflow.  After using Evernote for 3 years, hundreds of projects with Reports, Supplemental Reports, Images, audio and video recordings, I still only have 1100 Notes.  Very Manageable!

• Level 5*

As Sentinel says, the answer's no. This scenario was proposed as a special case for the original poster, since Evernote doesn't share by tags,and moving things so that all of the desired notes were in a notebook (the shareable unit of Evernote) seemed onerous. So second best thing, perhaps: make a notebook that contains duplicates of the notes to be shared, and share that.

• Level 5*

It depends on the use case,  and each one is different;  as the other guys have said,  I suggested the copy process because it seemed like the OP was creating a "finished product" in any given note before wishing to share it.  Therefore the copy everything and share process would suffice.  There was no mention originally of editing or collaboration,  which is a whole other ball of wax.  In that situation I'd suggest you avoid notebooks as much as possible and (using the original example) have tags not notebooks for europe, EU, Turkey, democratization, accession, constitution, civil society, etc.  Then you can move your notes in and out of a shared notebook as required,  and maintain each unique note with any subsequent edits and additions.

Or (now that you have me thinking on this..) it would be possible, during the copy and share process,  to add a tag to all the copied originals with -maybe- the name of the client to whom these notes have been shared.  If there are subsequent updates,  the original could be copied again to share with that customer.

As I said - situations alter applications,  and you need to specify exactly what you need from your notebook / tag / share situation to decide exactly how to proceed.  In some circumstances the Business product's Libraries might also be considered...

Thanks everyone for the replies. I took the advice above and 

1) Installed Evernote's Mac client, synced all my notes

2) Duplicated all notes tagged into a separate notebook

3) Made that notebook public

This method works, but there are still some major complaints I have:

1) I downloaded and started syncing at the time of the original reply - June 27th around 8pm. It is now June 29th at 12:30pm. That is how long it took to sync, which is ridiculous. It also took up so much of my computer's processing power that I was basically not able to use my computer the past couple days. Evernote devs - you need to create a better app.

2) In duplicating all of the notes and moving them to a new notebook, not only do I now have an additional 500 notes that are unnecessary, but that now muddies my searches during my regular work with duplicate search results. Not the end of the world, but incredibly cumbersome.

3) In order to keep this database updated, I'll have to either manually save to both locations every single time I create a new note. OR I will need to periodically recreate the entire thing from scratch, which will take hours yet again to sync

4) In moving all of my tagged notes to a single notebook, they are now all stripped of their categorization - i.e., audio, document, report, news article, etc. I suppose I could have gone notebook-by-notebook, sorted out and added tags to just those notes before duplicating and moving them, but honestly that would have taken additional hours of work to manage/sync.

None of this should be necessary - sharing by tags is something that has been requested multiple times on these forums. I understand there are workarounds, but, seeing how incredibly difficult this was, it's not really a feasible or reasonable solution to give to paying customers. It's also limiting since I couldn't imagine doing this for all the tags I honestly need to. I ideally would like to make my research available on a per-country basis, but there is no way I'm going through this process for 200 tags.

Evernote devs - I love your product, but please let us know when this gap is filled. 

Archived