Bug: not able to rearrange tags

marc

Evernote 2 allowed you to arrange tags in the order that you wanted inside a notebook. Since Evernote 3 this feature doesn't work anymore. Please fix this problem. Don't think tags are always unconnected.

Let me explain: My notes are not just random notes, so tags are not random tags. They are *structured* in a whole system and the only way to do that was by tags (other than creating dozens of notebooks). I have tens of notes for every action and tags behave like bookmarks. To give you an example from agriculture, let’s say you have notes on preparing the soil, seeding, watering, harvesting (actually a lot more steps and sub-steps, you can’t even have the whole structure in mind or on one screen) and this is the correct order. It would make no sense to put harvesting somewhere long before seeding!

As a workaround, I tried to put numbers before the lettered tag, but then you have to add extra steps between some tags.

I guess currently, the best way around this is to take advantage of the fact that as soon as you enter the tag screen (opt-cmd-3 on Mac, or just click the "Tag" button), you can begin typing and it will begin searching the tags. so if you wanted to view your "zoonotic diseases" tag, you could just opt-cmd-3 z o o and you'd have that tag front and centre.

Not the same as what you are asking for, but pretty darn quick.

Also, my suggestion doesn't work for people who like to "browse", but then again, that fits with the general way Evernote seems to be designed. So many aspects of Evernote are not designed for "browsing" they are designed for searching. 

Evernote 2 allowed you to arrange tags in the order that you wanted inside a notebook. Since Evernote 3 this feature doesn't work anymore. Please fix this problem. Don't think tags are always unconnected.

Let me explain: My notes are not just random notes, so tags are not random tags. They are *structured* in a whole system and the only way to do that was by tags (other than creating dozens of notebooks). I have tens of notes for every action and tags behave like bookmarks. To give you an example from agriculture, let’s say you have notes on preparing the soil, seeding, watering, harvesting (actually a lot more steps and sub-steps, you can’t even have the whole structure in mind or on one screen) and this is the correct order. It would make no sense to put harvesting somewhere long before seeding!

As a workaround, I tried to put numbers before the lettered tag, but then you have to add extra steps between some tags.

Although they share the same name & have a similar function, EN2 (the app) is a whole different animal than EN 3 & up (the service).   EN2 was a Windows only app & they only had to make it work on Windows.  OTOH, the service lives on many OSes & whatever (major) functionality that is added to one client must be something they can make work well on all the other clients.  I'd guess anything that was in EN2 that has not been incorporated into the current version of EN is not going to be.

There are a few threads on how to force your notes to be in a particular order.  IE prefacing the title with a 4-5 digit number such as 00010, 00020, 00030 which allows you to add notes in between by making the new note's number 00014. 

• Level 5*

There are a few threads on how to force your notes to be in a particular order.  IE prefacing the title with a 4-5 digit number such as 00010, 00020, 00030 which allows you to add notes in between by making the new note's number 00014.

But not tags, which is what is being asked for... :)

Tags are always in alphabetical order in the tree branch or list in which they appear. There's no arbitrary ordering of tags, though you can force ordering by prefixing text to the actual tag name. Too much of that seems tedious and awkward, but I've found it useful to prepend special characters like '_', '@', or '#' for a small number of frequently used tag names.

you can begin typing and it will begin searching the tags. so if you wanted to view your "zoonotic diseases" tag, you could just opt-cmd-3 z o o and you'd have that tag front and centre.

Not the same as what you are asking for, but pretty darn quick.

Also, my suggestion doesn't work for people who like to "browse", but then again, that fits with the general way Evernote seems to be designed. So many aspects of Evernote are not designed for "browsing" they are designed for searching. 

Thanks for your suggestion, but my point here isn't really to tag notes, but to find them again in a meaningful structure when they accumulate.

I wasn't referring to tagging notes. I was referring to locating a particular tag in the tag list when you are viewing the tag list screen. 

Nevertheless, I realize what I am suggesting doesn't completely (or at all....?) address your main concern. 

But not tags, which is what is being asked for... :)

Tags are always in alphabetical order in the tree branch or list in which they appear. There's no arbitrary ordering of tags, though you can force ordering by prefixing text to the actual tag name. Too much of that seems tedious and awkward, but I've found it useful to prepend special characters like '_', '@', or '#' for a small number of frequently used tag names.

True.  But it seemed that OP was using his tags to arrange his notes in a manual sort of way.  This may be incorrect on my part.

let’s say you have notes on preparing the soil, seeding, watering, harvesting (actually a lot more steps and sub-steps, you can’t even have the whole structure in mind or on one screen) and this is the correct order. It would make no sense to put harvesting somewhere long before seeding!

prefacing the title with a 4-5 digit number such as 00010, 00020, 00030 which allows you to add notes in between by making the new note's number 00014.

Thanks, that's the workaround I found, but it has the downside that when you want to tag a new note, you can't use the auto-type ScottLougheed mentioned (unless you have a good memory of numbers or also create duplicate tags with the digits at the end).

Archived