Unable to Empty Trash - 100,000 items

I've filled up my trash can, and it refuses to empty. I've tried right-clicking and empty trash on the web as well as downloading the windows client and attempting to sync and empty the trash from there. The windows client refuses to sync and will only see any new items that come in - it will delete these items, but not the ones that are stuck in the trash can.

I've tried firefox and IE on the web version to attempt to empty the trash.

Thanks

JVM

• Level 5*

I've filled up my trash can, and it refuses to empty. I've tried right-clicking and empty trash on the web as well as downloading the windows client and attempting to sync and empty the trash from there. The windows client refuses to sync and will only see any new items that come in - it will delete these items, but not the ones that are stuck in the trash can.

Thanks

JVM

Hi. Welcome to the forums. This is an interesting conundrum!

You may have hit the 100,000 note limit (see the list of limits here).

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

My recommendation would be to contact customer support (see the link in my signature). If you are premium, you can use the chat service. This is one of the few times I've heard of anyone hitting the limit, and throwing the trashcan into the mix probably muddled things as well. Let us know what they say!

• 4 months later...

Thanks

JVM

HI, JVM, have you solve the problem? I am in the same situation now, and I have to delete manually from web interface, by clicking the "empty trash" button every several minutes which only delete 100 notes. That waste a lot of my time!!

This has and still is a problem with Evernote Business. But I am not aware of it being a problem with the personal version of Evernote.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

This has and still is a problem with Evernote Business. But I am not aware of it being a problem with the personal version of Evernote.

Regards

Chris

Business people can have up to 500,000 notes, so they are more likely to run into the problem, I guess.

Regards

Chris

Business people can have up to 500,000 notes, so they are more likely to run into the problem, I guess.

thanks for the information, GM.

So any the suggestion for me, an individual user. It seems that, to look forward for the help from the so-called " assistants" "who will contact you" in the ticket, is a luxury dream for me.

Manually empty the trash will cost me a full week without eating drinking and sleeping, justing sitting in front of the display clicking mouse every 10 minutes!

I've paid for the premium service for the next 5 years. However, it is a very very very bad experience for me. 

• Level 5*

Regards

Chris

So any the suggestion for me, an individual user. It seems that, to look forward for the help from the so-called " assistants" "who will contact you" in the ticket, is a luxury dream for me.

Manually empty the trash will cost me a full week without eating drinking and sleeping, justing sitting in front of the display clicking mouse every 10 minutes!

I've paid for the premium service for the next 5 years. However, it is a very very very bad experience for me.

Actually, the solution might be pretty straightforward.

(1) Contact support as a premium or business member. I always recommend contacting support when there is danger of losing data (you are not a free user, but for those who are, I don't know if you have any support options. You can try, but it doesn't look on the Evernote site like they are promising any support to free users).

(2) Go to your account on the Web. Are all of your notes (besides the ones in the trash) visible? If so, then follow these instructions (I recommend backups) to remove Evernote from your drive.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

If you are on Windows, follow these instructions for the REVO uninstall. Again, backups are always a good idea.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2732-workarounds/

Regards

Chris

(1) Contact support as a premium or business member. I always recommend contacting support when there is danger of losing data (you are not a free user, but for those who are, I don't know if you have any support options. You can try, but it doesn't look on the Evernote site like they are promising any support to free users).

(2) Go to your account on the Web. Are all of your notes (besides the ones in the trash) visible? If so, then follow these instructions (I recommend backups) to remove Evernote from your drive.

If you are on Windows, follow these instructions for the REVO uninstall. Again, backups are always a good idea.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2732-workarounds/

Thank you @GrumpyMonkey for your suggestions, however, your suggestions provide almost nothing useful for me. 

(1) I've contact the support as a premium user, but after the ticket was opened, no progress have been made, ever. Everytime I replied the email, I only get an automatic reply :"You have been copied on Ticket # XXXXXX"

(2) The issue have nothing to do with the client side, it's about how to remove the inactive notes on the server. So your suggestions on how to uninstall/reinstall a client won't solve the problem.

I've detailed the problem in this post.

• Level 5*

You are correct. My advice was not helpful. I read your problem and it looks to me like the only way to solve it is to contact support. As you said, they are not responding to you, even though you are a Premium member, so there isn't much we can do. i'll flag your post for the Evernote staff. I am afraid that is all we can do at this point.

One "solution" would be to just open up another account and work from there. Put in a request (as a Premium member -- Free members may not receive any response) to have your Premium account moved to it, and hopefully they'll be able to do that before you hit your Free limit. That's what I would do. It certainly isn't worth it to spend time to try and accomplish everything on the web version.

You are correct. My advice was not helpful. I read your problem and it looks to me like the only way to solve it is to contact support. As you said, they are not responding to you, even though you are a Premium member, so there isn't much we can do. i'll flag your post for the Evernote staff. I am afraid that is all we can do at this point.

One "solution" would be to just open up another account and work from there. Put in a request (as a Premium member -- Free members may not receive any response) to have your Premium account moved to it, and hopefully they'll be able to do that before you hit your Free limit. That's what I would do. It certainly isn't worth it to spend time to try and accomplish everything on the web version.

@GrumpyMonkey Thank you!

Actually, I've managed to do a full sync without emptying the trash, and I am now using another computer to accomplish the "empty trash" work, and that will take about a week. Now I can use my account almost as usual, except that when another computing is syncing (expunge server side notes), I won't be able to do normal operation on my account.

The actual problem is that, the designed mechanism of Evernote has not considered the situation that some users, although not often, need to delete a huge amount of notes from trash. They limit the amount of deletion (expunging) by 100 per operation. And the error message on the client is misleading ("unexpected error on the service side" or "could not connect to Evernote service"), which will cause more trouble for user who do not know the underline mechanism. Maybe the limitation is to protect the data from abused usage of emptying trash, or to protect the hardware (I guess) as Evernote's algorithms have limitation on expunging inactive notes from server.

Been a problem from the beginning Grumps. Cannot delete anything from the trash.

Regards

Chris

This usually happens if you don't sync before deleting on the business side. I too have had issues.

Hi Lindsey,

No, this is a serious problem that they have been unable to solve. I currently have 2288 notes in my trash on Windows, but nothing showing on the web. Very annoying!

Regards

Chris

• Ex Employees

Regards

Chris

Thank you @GrumpyMonkey for your suggestions, however, your suggestions provide almost nothing useful for me. 

(1) I've contact the support as a premium user, but after the ticket was opened, no progress have been made, ever. Everytime I replied the email, I only get an automatic reply :"You have been copied on Ticket # XXXXXX"

(2) The issue have nothing to do with the client side, it's about how to remove the inactive notes on the server. So your suggestions on how to uninstall/reinstall a client won't solve the problem.

Can you send your Ticket # over for review?

Regards

Chris

Can you send your Ticket # over for review?

Ticket #656248, thanks

• Level 5*

Thanks. Sorry to hear about the trouble and your unsatisfactory experience with Evernote support. I do appreciate your taking the time to post your experience here for the benefit of other users, though! Hopefully, it will come in handy when someone else runs into this problem.

Archived