(Archived) My public notebook is gone with all its notes (>400)

• Level 5*

No, I didn't delete it by mistake - none of my public notes are in the Trash. And I didn't emptied the Trash. 

For example, I discussed this note (Page not found) in this topic - now it's disappeared. 

What happened? 

Any suggestions?

Hi. That certainly doesn't sound right. I'd check out your account on the Web and see if the notebook is there. If not, then I'd contact support. If worst comes to worst, you can always re-import the notebook from your backups. At any rate, it will be good to know what happened. Please keep us updated!

No, I didn't delete it by mistake - none of my public notes are in the Trash. And I didn't emptied the Trash. 

For example, I discussed this note (Page not found) in this topic - now it's disappeared. 

What happened? 

Any suggestions?

Hi. That certainly doesn't sound right. I'd check out your account on the Web and see if the notebook is there. If not, then I'd contact support. If worst comes to worst, you can always re-import the notebook from your backups. At any rate, it will be good to know what happened. Please keep us updated!

Done, and done. No, they are not on the Web. Never thought of doing backups - I was sure that my notes synchronized between several devices are safe. 

• Level 5*

Backups are a good idea with anything, not just Evernote. I recommend Time Machine (Mac), or something similar with versions if you are using Windows. Let us know what Support says.

• 2 weeks later...

Still nothing. The only advise I got is to regenerate the local database. But how can it help me, if this notebook is gone from everywhere - web, mac, windows, android? 

I also noticed that the tags that were used only in this notebook are gone, too. 

It's a very strange situation. No explanations about what happened, no attempts to restore it, nothing. 

Found your tickets Parf.  I've escalated and flagged for a particular L2 tech to take a look--should have someone in touch with you today.

I've never lost a whole notebook, but I did have a problem with a Chrome/Evernote add-on that was supposed to generate notes whenever I created a calendar entry. At first it seemed to work, but then I scanned a group of appointment cards into evernote, and started entering the appointments into my calendar. When I was done, I had calendar notes, but the scanned appointment cards were missing. So, I scanned some more appointment cards. Then I copied the links to those scan records into a list of appointments. Then I entered the notes into the calendar, When the new calendar notes were created, by scanned appointment cards were missing again, but this time I had those link records.  Some of the link records still worked, but most pointed to new calendar records. I was able to recover them by restoring note history for those records. Instead of creating new records for my calendar entries, the add-on had overwritten existing notes (some of which where old notes that I had recently linked to other notes! I got rid of the add-on (which is why I can't tell you which one it was).

If you added a new add-on program just prior to loosing your records, look at the new records your add-on program created, and see if they have note history that predates the addon. If so, you have located your problem. 

The reason I love Evernote is because of all of those addon programs that create records for me, but make sure you actually use every addon you have installed, because every addon has the potential to cause problems. Only keep the ones you use, and as new addon programs create new records, make sure those records really are new, and not overwritten old records!

Thank you, GrumpyMonkey and Gbarry. Can't wait to get my notes back.

Dwlloyd, very interesting. I don't have any add-ons, the only thing I can think of is (was) EN Food beta - the notes were supposed to be saved in this public notebook that disappeared. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: still nothing. No explanation. My public notebook is still missing, the notes are gone, the tags that were used in this notebook only are gone. Support asked me to send logs, then extended logs which I did, and then... nothing. 

What's going on??? 

• Level 5*

Update: still nothing. No explanation. My public notebook is still missing, the notes are gone, the tags that were used in this notebook only are gone. Support asked me to send logs, then extended logs which I did, and then... nothing. 

What's going on???

Hi. I'm flagging this again. Could you post your ticket numbers here? Thanks.

What's going on???

#27336.

The last communication was 11 days ago with Korven. 

Many thanks.

• Level 5*

What's going on???

#27336.

The last communication was 11 days ago with Korven. 

Many thanks.

Glad to help. I'm sure gbarry or another employee will be on this shortly.

Happy end (sort of): 

Hello parf,

We have completed the exhaustive server search for your notes. It appears on April 26th, 2013, there was a notebook deletion request from your account that consequently sent these two and other notes into your trash folder, where they currently reside.

If you go to the trash and select those notes, you can restore them. Unfortunately, as your original notebook no longer exists, it will restore them to your default notebook. However, you can recreate it and reshare it.

Additionally, we no longer support RSS for our public notebooks.

Hope this helps!

Allan
Evernote Support

Of course I am glad to get my 466 public notes back. That's great. However, nobody explained what happened. Before this "exhaustive server search" the notes were NOT in my trash folder.

But the date (April 26th) confirms my suspicion that the problem has something to do with Evernote Food beta which I installed that day. 

Many thanks all of you for support.

• Level 5*

Happy end (sort of): 

Hello parf,

We have completed the exhaustive server search for your notes. It appears on April 26th, 2013, there was a notebook deletion request from your account that consequently sent these two and other notes into your trash folder, where they currently reside.

If you go to the trash and select those notes, you can restore them. Unfortunately, as your original notebook no longer exists, it will restore them to your default notebook. However, you can recreate it and reshare it.

Hope this helps!

Allan

Evernote Support

Of course I am glad to get my 466 public notes back. That's great. However, nobody explained what happened. Before this "exhaustive server search" the notes were NOT in my trash folder.

But the date (April 26th) confirms my suspicion that the problem has something to do with Evernote Food beta which I installed that day. 

I am so glad they got that resolved for you! Allan has been a help to me in the past as well.

I don't know if Food was the culprit, but I do some of the beta testing for Evernote products, and I usually login using my test account for a few days until I am sure all is well. In addition, I strongly recommend you make regular backups. If you are on a Mac, Time Machine is free and it will do it every hour for you. It keeps different versions of your data, so you can go back and recover your data from a particular date and time (hence, the name of the application). There are similar applications available on Windows as well, though a little less convenient unless you purchase backup software. If you have this, no matter what happens to your Evernote account (or any other data) you have a way to make things right.

Of course, redundancy is always a good idea, so I keep several backup drives in multiple physical locations, and rotate through them to make sure they have recent versions of the data. Again, this is really easy on the Mac with Time Machine. There are lots of posts about backups on the forums, and alternative strategies as well, so I encourage everyone to read through those.

Happy end (sort of): 

Hello parf,

Hope this helps!

Allan

Evernote Support

I am so glad they got that resolved for you! Allan has been a help to me in the past as well.

I don't know if Food was the culprit, but I do some of the beta testing for Evernote products, and I usually login using my test account for a few days until I am sure all is well. In addition, I strongly recommend you make regular backups. If you are on a Mac, Time Machine is free and it will do it every hour for you. It keeps different versions of your data, so you can go back and recover your data from a particular date and time (hence, the name of the application). There are similar applications available on Windows as well, though a little less convenient unless you purchase backup software. If you have this, no matter what happens to your Evernote account (or any other data) you have a way to make things right.

Of course, redundancy is always a good idea, so I keep several backup drives in multiple physical locations, and rotate through them to make sure they have recent versions of the data. Again, this is really easy on the Mac with Time Machine. There are lots of posts about backups on the forums, and alternative strategies as well, so I encourage everyone to read through those.

Thank you GrumpyMonkey. I am currently on Mac and have to think about getting an external hard drive to make Time Machine backups. The matter is that I don't have a fixed place, I'm traveling with 15 kg suitcase. Acquiring a new item is always a hard decision - one in, one out. For years I considered my cloud data safe, but after this accident I definitely have to rethink my policy.

• Level 5*

Happy end (sort of):

Hello parf,

Hope this helps!

Allan

Evernote Support

Thank you GrumpyMonkey. I am currently on Mac and have to think about getting an external hard drive to make Time Machine backups. The matter is that I don't have a fixed place, I'm traveling with 15 kg suitcase. Acquiring a new item is always a hard decision - one in, one out. For years I considered my cloud data safe, but after this accident I definitely have to rethink my policy.

Glad I could help. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Nothing is safe, not even the cloud. Evernote (http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20013093-248.html), Google (http://www.dataloss.com/?p=67), Dropbox (http://konklone.com/post/dropbox-bug-can-permanently-lose-your-files), Amazon (http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-lost-data-2011-4), and everyone else have lost our data at some point, and will probably lose it again. The data loss is only a small percentage, and it is relatively safe, but no one can make guarantees. Stuff happens.

The best defence is redundancy. External hard drives are very inexpensive, compact, and lightweight these days. External hard drives fail too! However, a mix of cloud and personal backups ought to be pretty good protection.

• 1 month later...

I have also noticed a couple of different issues that can look like notes are missing when they are not. 

1) If you use multiple devices, and you turn off one device too quickly, your note may appear to be gone, but eventually reappears once you turn your mobile device back on.

2) If you create a new notebook and move a large group of notes to the new notebook, The command to move notes seems to supersede (and replace) the command to name the new notebook, even though that command was completed first. So if you loose an new notebook after moving a large group of notes to it, check to see if you have any generically named notebooks. One of them is likely to hold all your missing notes.

I would sure appreciate some advice on organizing notebooks. I have too many now.
At first, I used notebooks only to separate the notes I want to share from the ones I want to keep.
Then, as the lists grew too big, I started creating notebooks by subject.
Now I have a mess.

Finally, Evernote needs to adopt a better query method to find and filter notes, and a better tag method, to help ensure efficient tag use.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

The same thing happened to me, I noticed yesterday that I am missing a notebook called "Cabinet" Where I had some important notes, it has even affected my work today. I don't know what happened, I am sure I didn't delete it even by an accident. It's not in my trash.

I created a ticket for this, number #231302

Please help anyone, after this experience I will do regular backups.

Thank you.

Archived