Feature request: Make (monospaced) font selection easier

I'm a programmer so I like to use EN for code snippets and database tables (basically text columns).

The problem is that these look terrible in a proportional font. So I have to change the font, not a big deal, you might say. But I probably have a hundred fonts installed on my PC and I have to scroll through a lot of them to find Courier New or another monospaced font. Please make this easier. Surely, there's a lot of us coder types using EN.

Suggestions:

- Make a quick list at the top of the font list with the fonts I use most.

- Make the default font selection so that a note created with it looks the some on iOS/Android etc. (currently it reverts back to the default on that platform)

- Make a 'Default monospaced font' button/context menu option or even at the top of the font list.

This is probably my main daily annoyance.

It would be great if someone fixed it, come on, you must be coders yourselves...?

And surely you must eat your own dogfood?

• Level 5*

You can set the default font for notes, but that setting will also depend on the platform on which you're viewing the notes.  Do you create code directly in Evernote,  or cut and paste snippets from another editor?

• Level 5*

Setting default font would work, but most of the time I would prefer not to use a mono-spaced typeface as default.

One thing that can help to find Courier New (or whatever) is to click the dropdown menu on the font selector, and type the first character of the font you want ('C' in this case); the menu will locate to the start of the 'C's.

I tried the default font trick, but the problem is that the note will use the default font on the other devices. And I switch devices a lot. Several PC's, an iPad and an Android phone. You can't set the default font on an iPad AFAIK (there's not a lot of configuration possible on that platform). So if I want to review code that I copy/pasted on a PC on an iPad it's reverted to a proportional mess :(

So the only thing that works now is to change the font to Courier or similar every time, which involves more clicking and scrolling than it should (even with the C trick).

• 1 month later...

I use a lot of data structure diagrams that require a fixed-width font. I expected that once I selected such a font for a note in Evernote on my Mac, it would *just work* and appear looking the same in Evernote on my iPad and iPhone.

What a silly person!

Researching this problem on the forums, it's been around in multiple forms (and forums) since 2011? Without resolution?

Simple request -- If I set a fixed-width font on my Mac, I expect that note to have a fixed-width font in Evernote on my iPad (and iPhone).

And css browser hacks aren't even a workaround, as I'm expecting Evernote to behave. And such browser hacks bring back the bad taste and memories of supporting IE6 -- surely you folks are better than that?

• Level 5*

Basic rule of nature.  There Is No Such Thing as a cross-platform font.  Too many conflicting copyrights involved. 

I don't believe it's down to Evernote to 'fix' a problem that's built in to the hardware.  There may be workarounds - suggestions welcomed;  or you may have to look at other software...

Did I say cross-platform font? I didn't. I understand the issues -- I've done software development, and run support organizations. I'm still doing software development. I actually RTFM, and look to support groups to see if the issue has been spotted and perhaps resolved first.

That's why I couched my diatribe in terms of a fixed-width font. They exist, on multiple platforms. Their names vary, but the result is the same -- things line up. SImple matter, really, carrying along not only the font name for a particular platform, but also a hint that a fixed-width font was used for a text object, and if the named font isn't available on another platform to use a fixed-width font if one is available for displaying the object. Other programs have figured this out -- for example Safari on the iPad and iPhone substituting Courier New when a fixed-width font is called for.

It isn't a copyright matter; it's a matter of someone deciding to take ownership of the problem.

And I'm hoping for the best, that someone will decide to fix this, in Evernote. I don't want to use the web interface and a CSS workaround, because I don't want everything from Evernote displayed in a fixed-width font.

As well, as I mentioned, such "workarounds" taste too much like what we had to do to support IE6.

Thanks for your comment, though -- that's the first step.

When someone asked Wernher Von Braun, one of the key figures in the U.S. space program, what the most dificult part of putting a man on the Moon was, he replied, "The will to do it."

This one is a lot simpler, but it too requires the will to do it.

--bob k6rtm

• Level 5*

Ol' WvB also said "We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming" - Evernote is a mildly successful product with 50M+ users.  I think there's a long list of simple things they're working through.  Single items might be quick,  but it's a question of where they are in the list.  Meantime...

PS "cross platform fonts" was meant as verbal shorthand, not a product definition.

:)

• Level 5*

Workaround #2: create a dummy note that uses your favorite mono-spaced font; now you have a template. Use the Copy Note functionality to create new notes based off that template.

Workaround #2: create a dummy note that uses your favorite mono-spaced font; now you have a template. Use the Copy Note functionality to create new notes based off that template.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but I see no 'Copy Note' feature on my iPad, or in the Evernote Web.

Is this something only on the Desktop client?

Here you go Xenna, just use my script to set up hotkeys for any font choices / sizes / colours you wish. It's very very easy. 

Except not.  This seems to be something useful on the Windows Desktop client only.  One of the key points in this request is to have it work across all devices supported by Evernote.

• Level 5*

Here you go Xenna, just use my script to set up hotkeys for any font choices / sizes / colours you wish. It's very very easy.

Except not.  This seems to be something useful on the Windows Desktop client only.  One of the key points in this request is to have it work across all devices supported by Evernote.

Oh, please forgive qot for trying to help other Evernote users, since this topic is tagged as "Windows".

I do not see anywhere in the original request that the font changing should be available on all platforms, just that whatever font is set in Windows needs to be available in all platforms.

The request for a button or a change to the font list seems like a Windows request to me.

• 3 years later...

Archived