Ron Grandia

chrome Cute Chrome iOS easy workaround

Idea

This may be old news, but I finally found a way to make Evernote web clipper work in Chrome for iOS easily.

The bookmark trick in Safari doesn't work for chrome, but I figured out that one can add that same JavaScript to the iOS text shortcuts. It's easy.

Just create a text shortcut which will substitute that loooong JavaScript string (see below) with your chosen key word - I call mine "webclip."

Then, when you find a page you wish to clip in Chrome, simply select the URL in the address bar, then type your shortcut keyword and enter.

You should get a web-clipper window!

Enjoy!

iOS text shortcuts - http://bit.ly/oJErD2

Webclipper JavaScript - http://bit.ly/OUJ1bg

6 people like this

42 replies to this idea

Well, it's new news to me!

I've been looking high and low for a Chrome webclipper extension, and alas I've found it -- thank you!! :D

P.S. I used this trick on my iPad, not sure how it fares on other iOS devices using Chrome.

Thanks again, Ron.

Hi

That's indeed a nice one. Works with Safari too.

Thanks a lot!

André

Hi. How can you get this to size properly on an iPhone 5? Thanks!

Having trouble understanding what to do with these steps any chance you can explain it step by step it makes no sense at the moment

Where do I copy these links to the URL or something else ?

Where does the text shortcut go?

Then select the URL I address bar which URL?

This is perfect, exactly the simplicity I was looking for. Here's a more detailed explanation for those having trouble:

First set-up your shortcut, (iPad, iOS 6.1.3) go into you settings and choose General -> Keyboard -> Add New Shortcut.

In the part titled "Phrase" enter the JavaScript code:

javascript:(function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com;try{var%20x=document.createElement(SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

Then in the part titled "Shortcut" enter 'webclip' (without quotes), or whatever else you want the shortcut phrase to be.

Now with that done, go back to chrome and go to a webpage. Tap on the address bar, this will highlight the entire address, that's okay it's all part of the plan. Now, simply type 'webclip' (without quotes) or your defined shortcut and hit Go in your keyboard. A lovely JavaScript box will come up in the corner in much the same manner as it does for the desktop extension.

Followed the instructions and does work in Safari but not in Chrome on iOS. I select the URL, type my shortcut and click Go, and end up in Google with search results for my shortcut...

Any ideas on maybe some settings in Chrome?

Alas, I've followed the directions of darraughbj with no luck.

I am ashamed to admit I might not be clear on what the Go key is on my Apple wireless keyboard.

In any case, I went to the onscreen keyboard Go key and still have no luck. I'm merely getting search results.

Like AnnaB, I'm not having any luck with this. I keep getting search results. Strange. Any thoughts?

Make sure the "phrase" and "shortcut" fields are not put in backwards. Might have them flip-flopped. Try changing the fields. Happened to me. Now works fine.

It's still not working for me. I created the shortcut, typed in the word I used as the shortcut, included a space, and I still get Google search results. I even switched the phrase and shortcut fields to be sure I didn't do it backwards.

Also, I just copied and pasted the entire JavaScript into the search bar, and that also did not clip the page to my EN account.

Any ideas?? I don't know if it matters, but I have an ipad mini. I do have iOS 6.1.3.

That worked a treat. Thanks very much, no need to be using Safari any longer.

hi, i was able to create the shortcut and it brings up a webclipper window, but when i try to clip it says that 3rd party cookies must be accepted. i checked my settings in chrome and i have accept cookies on. any thoughts as to why it isn't seeing that?

thanks!

I cannot figure out how to resize the window that opens. Any suggestions?

I stopped trying to use the Safari iOS clipper because it drove me nuts. Dolphin Browser (which is free) has a really nice, easy to use Evernote clipper. When I need to clip anything on my iPhone or iPad, I use that instead. 

hi, i was able to create the shortcut and it brings up a webclipper window, but when i try to clip it says that 3rd party cookies must be accepted. i checked my settings in chrome and i have accept cookies on. any thoughts as to why it isn't seeing that?

thanks!

I get this as well.  Cookies on, Chrome doesn't reject third party cookies when in normal use.  Anyone got any ideas?  .

For those still having trouble... I found that even though the shortcut was saved, I had to back out from the Keyboard page to the General page in Settings before the clipper would work. If you're impatient like me, you may be switching from Settings over to Chrome before taking that final, apparently essential step to engage the shortcut.

thanks!

I get this as well.  Cookies on, Chrome doesn't reject third party cookies when in normal use.  Anyone got any ideas?  .

I also got this error when I entered the wrong password.

With the correct password it worked like a charm...

This probably needs to be confirmed by others ;)

SB

This is a great tip thanks Ron.

I experienced a similar problem to AnnaB that it was not recognizing the phrase with the shortcut. I only got it to work by opening up the notes app and typing my shortcut phrase there. It then recognized it!

Don't know why it required this extra step, but it now works a treat.

Thought it might help someone else who is scratching their head.

1 person likes this