Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Chrome

Cute Chrome iOS easy workaround

clipper

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Grandia

Ron Grandia

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

This may be old news, but I finally found a way to make Evernote web clipper work in Chrome for iOS easily.

The bookmark trick in Safari doesn't work for chrome, but I figured out that one can add that same JavaScript to the iOS text shortcuts. It's easy.

Just create a text shortcut which will substitute that loooong JavaScript string (see below) with your chosen key word - I call mine "webclip."

Then, when you find a page you wish to clip in Chrome, simply select the URL in the address bar, then type your shortcut keyword and enter.

You should get a web-clipper window!

Enjoy!

iOS text shortcuts - http://bit.ly/oJErD2
Webclipper JavaScript - http://bit.ly/OUJ1bg

#2 Grace_C

Grace_C

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Well, it's new news to me!

I've been looking high and low for a Chrome webclipper extension, and alas I've found it -- thank you!! :D

P.S. I used this trick on my iPad, not sure how it fares on other iOS devices using Chrome.

Thanks again, Ron.
--
College student 2015

#3 nextbaron

nextbaron

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Me too. It is nice info, thanks.
Strategy Architect @Goshojuku
Google+: gplus.to/nextbaron
twitter: @nextbaron_
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. But it's OK to be supported b/c I love it and use it everyday.

#4 andreb

andreb

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hi

That's indeed a nice one. Works with Safari too.

Thanks a lot!

André

Evernote user #370'569 since 2008, still happily collecting information. 

Win XP / Mac OS X / iPad / Android Phones / Evernote Business

#5 J242

J242

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Genius! Thanks.

#6 AndyMax

AndyMax

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Hi. How can you get this to size properly on an iPhone 5? Thanks!

#7 sm161112

sm161112

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

Having trouble understanding what to do with these steps any chance you can explain it step by step it makes no sense at the moment

Where do I copy these links to the URL or something else ?

Where does the text shortcut go?

Then select the URL I address bar which URL?

#8 darraughbj

darraughbj

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

This is perfect, exactly the simplicity I was looking for. Here's a more detailed explanation for those having trouble:

First set-up your shortcut, (iPad, iOS 6.1.3) go into you settings and choose General -> Keyboard -> Add New Shortcut.
In the part titled "Phrase" enter the JavaScript code:

javascript:(function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com;try{var%20x=document.createElement(SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

Then in the part titled "Shortcut" enter 'webclip' (without quotes), or whatever else you want the shortcut phrase to be.

Now with that done, go back to chrome and go to a webpage. Tap on the address bar, this will highlight the entire address, that's okay it's all part of the plan. Now, simply type 'webclip' (without quotes) or your defined shortcut and hit Go in your keyboard. A lovely JavaScript box will come up in the corner in much the same manner as it does for the desktop extension.

#9 gtpfcheung

gtpfcheung

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

Followed the instructions and does work in Safari but not in Chrome on iOS. I select the URL, type my shortcut and click Go, and end up in Google with search results for my shortcut...

Any ideas on maybe some settings in Chrome?

#10 gtpfcheung

gtpfcheung

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Got it, after typing the shortcut, hit Spacebar and then Go.

#11 AnnaB

AnnaB

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Alas, I've followed the directions of darraughbj with no luck.

I am ashamed to admit I might not be clear on what the Go key is on my Apple wireless keyboard.

In any case, I went to the onscreen keyboard Go key and still have no luck. I'm merely getting search results.

#12 gtpfcheung

gtpfcheung

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi AnnaB,

Try hit Spacebar before hitting Go, that works for me.

#13 matthewdlyons

matthewdlyons

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Like AnnaB, I'm not having any luck with this. I keep getting search results. Strange. Any thoughts?

#14 kgkinkade

kgkinkade

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Make sure the "phrase" and "shortcut" fields are not put in backwards. Might have them flip-flopped. Try changing the fields. Happened to me. Now works fine.

#15 megandygrad

megandygrad

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

It's still not working for me. I created the shortcut, typed in the word I used as the shortcut, included a space, and I still get Google search results. I even switched the phrase and shortcut fields to be sure I didn't do it backwards.

Also, I just copied and pasted the entire JavaScript into the search bar, and that also did not clip the page to my EN account.

Any ideas?? I don't know if it matters, but I have an ipad mini. I do have iOS 6.1.3.

#16 ferchersan

ferchersan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

That worked a treat. Thanks very much, no need to be using Safari any longer.

#17 dso

dso

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

hi, i was able to create the shortcut and it brings up a webclipper window, but when i try to clip it says that 3rd party cookies must be accepted. i checked my settings in chrome and i have accept cookies on. any thoughts as to why it isn't seeing that?
thanks!

#18 garrettL

garrettL

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

I cannot figure out how to resize the window that opens. Any suggestions?

#19 ciaohnoi

ciaohnoi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Ron G., thank you. This is awesome.

#20 sparrowlight

sparrowlight

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

I stopped trying to use the Safari iOS clipper because it drove me nuts. Dolphin Browser (which is free) has a really nice, easy to use Evernote clipper. When I need to clip anything on my iPhone or iPad, I use that instead. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote