(Archived) How can I delete/edit saved searches, and more

Mark F

Idea

I'm just getting back into Evernote, with Evernote 5 for Mac, and I remember that Saved Searches were very powerful. However, it seems like Evernote must have purposefully limited the Saved Search functionality. I've searched the forums for an hour and I'd like to know if the following are really now limitations, or if I am just missing something.

1. Can I see a list of Saved Searches (outside of the dropdown)? Where?

2. Can I edit a Saved Search? It seems I have to delete it (oops, see #3) and then recreate it. How?

3. Can I delete a Saved Search? Where?

Also related to searching

1. Apparently I cannot search a stack, so I need to search multiple notebooks at once. Can I do this somehow? Every time I go to add a new notebook to search, in the search dialog, it removed the previous notebook, so I only have one notebook I can search.

8 replies to this idea

@Mark F Some power Mac EN users have resorted to running the Windows version of EN under Parallels to get back much of this functionality and more. You will however need to install a slightly older version of the Windows client to sort the search problem as Windows too in the last month or so has gained this global search feature.

Thanks to both of you. @jbenson2: I did read that thread earlier didn't see any solutions for my questions. #Mike Wood: Since I don't have much invested in EN, that would be too drastic a mesure for me.

What a shame. I REALLY want to use EN. But if they are removing/not thinking of having features like these, it's a pretty scary platform to invest time in. I hate to do it, but I guess I have to go try out something like Springpad (although they have some basic problems Ive found too).

What a pain. I just don't understand why EN has done this. Have they responded to anyone on this, acknowledging the issues and vowing to fix them? If so, I might be tempted to stay.

• Level 5

Thanks to both of you. @jbenson2: I did read that thread earlier didn't see any solutions for my questions. #Mike Wood: Since I don't have much invested in EN, that would be too drastic a mesure for me.

What a shame. I REALLY want to use EN. But if they are removing/not thinking of having features like these, it's a pretty scary platform to invest time in. I hate to do it, but I guess I have to go try out something like Springpad (although they have some basic problems Ive found too).

What a pain. I just don't understand why EN has done this. Have they responded to anyone on this, acknowledging the issues and vowing to fix them? If so, I might be tempted to stay.

Mark F, Sorry -, I thought the link was the solution.

I'm a Windows user and hope that Evernote has learned from the Mac 5.0 upgrade. The number of Mac complaints just keep rolling in. The company would be shooting themselves in the other foot if they do the same thing to Windows.

• Level 5*

@Mark F Some power Mac EN users have resorted to running the Windows version of EN under Parallels to get back much of this functionality and more. You will however need to install a slightly older version of the Windows client to sort the search problem as Windows too in the last month or so has gained this global search feature.

Who are these traitors to the fruit? Parallels works great. The search is fine in Windows, as far as I can tell, but I have few notebooks and no stacks. I used to use saved searches a lot, but not anymore.

An alternative to saved searches is to put your search strings intoma single note and copy/paste from there. Because you cannot edit saved searches on OSX / iOS, and you cannot add or subtract information from iOS saved searches after you use it, this is a nice workaround. Saved searches also work differently across clients now, depending on whether joined notebooks are searched (Mac) or not (iOS) with a regular search. In other words, they tend to cause more problems for some users (me) than they solve.

@Grumpy LOL I know Windows is a hard sell to Mac users.... (perhaps 'resort' is too strong a word) or perhaps you don't consider yourself a Mac user either?

I may have misunderstood the searching question. But I understand in Windows we now have difficulties restricting searches to our own notebooks, tags etc. or have I got that wrong? (I'm still using 4.5.10.7472 for fear of the unknown)

• Level 5*

@Grumpy LOL I know Windows is a hard sell to Mac users.... (perhaps 'resort' is too strong a word) or perhaps you don't consider yourself a Mac user either?

I may have misunderstood the searching question. But I understand in Windows we now have difficulties restricting searches to our own notebooks, tags etc. or have I got that wrong? (I'm still using 4.5.10.7472)

Who knows what I am anymore? I use Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and the Web to varying degrees. Windows isn't a hard sell. The EN app on my Mac with Parallels is in the dock just like any other app and works great. I just don't think I should have to go through so many contortions just to comfortably navigate and use my account, but I won't go into that here, as I've talked a lot on these forums about my likes / dislikes regarding the Mac app.

No difficulties with Windows search that I know about, besides needing to be careful which button on the UI you press to filter out joined notebooks. Why wouldn't you upgrade your Windows app?

To be honest I'm adopting the 'if it aint broke' don't update policy at the moment. I have seen one of the latest EN Windows versions and I wasn't overjoyed about the divider change and the removal of the shared tab.

I seem to remember (from other threads) you have to remember to deselect shared notebooks otherwise saved searches search all?....

Anyway agreed Windows is way ahead.... except for a filtered places view in EN4 on the iPhone!

Archived