Forwarded Outlook Messages as attachments?

Brianmllr

Idea

Does anyone know of a way to force evernote to attach an outlook .msg file that is forward to your evernote email rather than pasting in the text of that .msg file into the note in evernote?

Here's my use case:

I use Evernote to manage tasks using a variation of http://www.thesecretweapon.org/ method. Generally tasks for me start with someone emailing me some details on a topic. If it's not something I can respond to quickly and immediately I'll forward the email via Outlook to my evernote email address which will create a new note (I use a "quick action" for this that makes it one click and allows me to auto attach specific evernote tags). Once the task is in a note I use evernote to keep track of my research and progress on the project which evernote is awesome for. The problem comes in wrapping things up.

When all is said and done the typical final action is to respond back to everyone on the original email chain (or perhaps I need to respond to provide an update mid project). That last step becomes inefficent because I need to either keep copies of the original email in a special folder in Outlook and search for the correct one again or manually scrub through the evernote text to make sure I grab all the email address from the final chain.

The ultimate solution to this would be to have an option within evernote that would allow me to attach the outlook .msg files as attachment rather than auto converting. Ideally it would be nice to have a just attach, attach and convert, or just convert option. I saw a similar request for photos.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Why forward your mails via Outlook when there's a perfectly good Evernote clipper? (Provided you're not still with 2003 or earlier..)

I have a similar process, but my emails get clipped AND drag/dropped into the same note, and if I double-click the email icon in my note, the original email opens up in an Outlook window so I can reply. The dragging bit has to go via my desktop - Outlook to desktop, then to my note; but that's part of my work process anyway, so doesn't count as an 'extra' step. I add the necessary tags via the clipper. Subsequent mails get added to the note (or a new note with the same heading) as attached MSG files, with any salient points added as headings, tags or keywords.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is a decent workaround and would achieve what I'm looking to do though it's significantly slower since I can't pre-define my tags in the clipper. With my quick steps in outlook I just have outlook auto append the apporiate tags and use the nifty evernote email feature to have that added to the note right away. With the clipper I'd need to type them in each time. The outlook task also auto moves the email to an archive folder. My goal is to maintain an empty inbox and primarily work out of evernote.

Brings up a good idea though. Perhaps an easier way to implement what I suggested would be to add an "Attach email to note" checkbox in the clipper.

Then allow users to set a default for the setting based on their preference. I think it's very common for folks to want to reply to all as an end result of the things they save in Evernote.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the suggestion. That is a decent workaround and would achieve what I'm looking to do though it's significantly slower since I can't pre-define my tags in the clipper. With my quick steps in outlook I just have outlook auto append the apporiate tags and use the nifty evernote email feature to have that added to the note right away. With the clipper I'd need to type them in each time. The outlook task also auto moves the email to an archive folder. My goal is to maintain an empty inbox and primarily work out of evernote.

Brings up a good idea though. Perhaps an easier way to implement what I suggested would be to add an "Attach email to note" checkbox in the clipper.

Then allow users to set a default for the setting based on their preference. I think it's very common for folks to want to reply to all as an end result of the things they save in Evernote.

I did discover a useful trick with a previous version of Evernote - haven't used it on a recent incarnation yet, so please test carefully; but if you cut and paste a series of comma-separated words into the tags box, you get those separate tags on the note. If that does still apply, you could set up a note with the all tag sets you might use, and just copy/ paste them into a new email note...

Nice suggestion with the email attachments.

Hi, Not sure if this suggestion will help and I don't see it as a resolution, so thought I'd mention it. I use Web AOL email, and am using EverNote for Mac and Windows. When there is an email I want to save to EverNote, I click on Print eMail, when the print dialog shows up, I click on Print PDF to Evernote. I get all the info without cut and pasting or forwarding to EverNote email. Works for my needs.

+1 this idea; I'm trying to automate archiving of select emails with AppleScript, and want the original email as an attachment in the Evernote item. I was thrilled to get so far in the process as to get the email to redirect with the original email as an attachment, and then really deflated to see how Evernote responds to it.

There is a workaround, however. By renaming the file extension .emlx (Apple uses .eml, as opposed to Microsoft's .msg), Evernote does not recognize the attachment as an email, and leaves it as an attachment. Thus, if I need the original email, I can simply redownload it as .eml, and I've got the message I need. I assume the same would work with Outlook.

On 8/21/2012 at 6:03 PM, Brianmllr said:

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I just want to add that I would love to see Evernote add this "attach email to note" checkbox in the clipper.  In an ideal world, I could use the clipper to send an email to Evernote and maintain the text as the actual contents of the note, with the .msg file attached.  Like Brianmllr pointed out, I want to use Evernote to maintain messages about my current projects and tasks but still have the option to easily pull up the message in an Outlook file to respond or forward.

On 2/2/2016 at 10:47 PM, akhelms said:

Perhaps an easier way to implement what I suggested would be to add an "Attach email to note" checkbox in the clipper.

+1

This would make sending my emails to EN a feasible option.

Archived