Create a searchable Local Notebook

VA_Joe

I've made significant progress in going paperless over the past two weeks and have created a local notebook for medical bills and similar items.

While scanning stacks of paper, I inadvertently created some notes (jpg) in a synchronized notebook. As expected, Evernote recognized the text within the jpg and the search function works perfectly.

The notes remained searchable when I moved them to the local notebook. This potentially offers the best of both options.

How long are the notes removed from a synchronized folder retained on the Evernote servers?

If they are removed immediately, I may be willing to upload "sensitive" notes destined for a local notebook temporarily in order to leverage Evernote's OCR technology and then move them to the local notebook.

Does anyone else use a similar strategy?

Thanks in advance....

• Level 5*

Interesting. As far as Evernote's servers go, who knows how long your ones and zeros stick around. Without the note, though (assuming you moved it into the local folder) it would probably take some serious hacking to recover the information.

as for me, There is relaively little in my life that i'm worried about anyone seeing. i couldn't care less about anyone knowing about my medical conditions. so, i don't have any local notebooks.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I had been wondering if the search keywords would be retained. This is great.

I have been pondering a lot about local vs. synched, in this case about a lot of PDFs that I would need to OCR before uploading.

If this holds true, I can give my docs a grace period in a synched folder before moving them.

I agree with GrumpyMonkey that the risk of having anything "cached" somewhere on servers for a while after moving it, is a very small risk.

But I do share your concerns about putting certain things online. Not because I have anything especially sensitive / private. But Evernote would be a very ripe target for identity theft, if all personal / financial documents are there.

• Level 5*

if it really is sensitive information, you might want to consider encrypting and password protecting it (adobe acrobat pro). the software is relatively inexpensive, especially if you can get an educational discount, and opens up a lot of opportunities. ocr, for example, can be done by you immediately. on my mac, houdahspot will search everything in evernote and everything on my hard drive at once, so having it ocr'd is a big plus.

if it really is sensitive information, you might want to consider encrypting and password protecting it (adobe acrobat pro). the software is relatively inexpensive,.

IME, even free viewers will password encrypt PDFs. And to clarify, there is password protect (BFD) and password encrypt. The latter one is the one to use for better security.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. As far as Evernote's servers go, who knows how long your ones and zeros stick around. Without the note, though (assuming you moved it into the local folder) it would probably take some serious hacking to recover the information.

as for me, There is relaively little in my life that i'm worried about anyone seeing. i couldn't care less about anyone knowing about my medical conditions. so, i don't have any local notebooks.

GM,

I assume that another advantage of local notebooks is that they stay on the machine that you put them on and don't show up on mobile synching. For example, I intend to scan thousands of pdf's into EN which I don't necessarily need to have access to with my android phone. In fact, I have a limited data plan and I don't really want to deal with laborious synching issues to get this stuff on my phone. Therefore, I would assume that a local notebook would be the solution.

• 1 month later...

VA_Joe, neat find. Initially, I thought I might use local notebooks. Now, I wonder whether it is more of a hassle ultimately. Having everything accessible on all clients functions similar to the way that everything in your brain is accessible, only better, because you can override your forgetfulness with EN (forgetfulness as retrieval issue).

Archived