• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
Tap

windows ✔ Latest evernote can't be installed after old version not uninstalled properly

310 posts in this topic

I recently tried to update my version of Evernote on my laptop when requested by the software. After rebooting it kept continually asking me to update to the same version.

I suspected there was something wrong with the install and removed Evernote with the intention of reinstalling it.

When I tried to reinstall it I got the following error message:

Evernote was already installed by another user. One one per-user installtion is supported.

An Administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed.

I have tried running registry cleaners and also combing through the registry myself and manually removing all traces of evernote without success.

Has anyone else seen this before and how can I fix this?

I uninstalled the old version and can't get the new one to install (5432) ... the installer runs for about 40 minutes and goes nowhere. Finally, after cancelling the installation I get the following error -- "Setup Error Bootstrapper.cpp:886:fatal error during installation."

If this doesn't work, is there a download location for the older version?

thanks folks ...

I've been trying to download the latest version (4.5 beta 3) for the last 12 hours and every attempt got the following error: "Unable to download the update. Please try again later."

Is there a problem with the latest version?

Thanks,

Oded.

I have also been unable to install the new version (to my knowledge I didn't have an old version) - I have repeatedly tried to install it and immediately get the message that the installation ended prematurely because of an error and to try again. Happens over and over. One time (and only one time - I may have been using a different download link that time) I also got the bootstrap error referenced above. .\Bootstrapper.cpp:886) 0x643:Fatal error during installation. Very frustrating. I have Windows 7 home premium.

I've been trying to download the latest version (4.5 beta 3) for the last 12 hours and every attempt got the following error: "Unable to download the update. Please try again later."

I just downloaded it from the download page: http://www.evernote.com/about/download/. I installed it on my machine (Win 7/64) with no problems.

I just downloaded it from the download page: http://www.evernote.com/about/download/. I installed it on my machine (Win 7/64) with no problems.

Once in a while a message pops up:

"A new vwesion of Evernote is available."

The same message appears if I click "Help/Check for updates."

One of the options is to download this new version.

I always used to update Evernote this way.

Like I've said, I can't do it anymore as I get this error:

"Unable to download the update. Please try again later." (I've tried it on both my desktop applications - and failed."

Yep, exactly, and that's how two of my clients got updated. But I was also able to download from the downloads page, which is something that you should try.

Yep, exactly, and that's how two of my clients got updated. But I was also able to download from the downloads page, which is something that you should try.

I will.

But do you have any idea why the automatic update stopped working?

I tried everything, but finally got the install to work after disabling windows security.

I tried everything, but finally got the install to work after disabling windows security.

What has changed?

Surely nothing significant on my computer...

Hi

I have version 4.5.0.5529. When I start Windows/Evernote, it informs me there's an update but when I choose the download option, it states it's unable to download.

Also, I select the Check For Updates options but tells me there's no update available.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Shall I just manually download and install the new version or is there a problem I need to sort out first?

Thanks very much.

... and I get told it was installed by another Userid. (Which I can't understand.) But then again I'm running under WINE.

Martin

...Yep. Update process gpt a bit mangled. It is supposed to be fixed with current public release...

Thanks very much for your help.

I have the same issue as Martin, above. When attempting to install the update, this message displays:

Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per-user installation is supported. An administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed.

Foolishly (but with curiosity: Evernote was installed for all users by an administrator -- me), I uninstalled Evernote...and am now stuck with that message every time I attempt to reinstall. If there is a solution short of manually cleaning out the Registry, I'm all ears...

Thank!

Sounds like there are some leftover files on your machine. Try REVO uninstaller and see if you can do a clean wipe of EN. I'd also do a registry clean (CCleaner) after this. Reboot and try a fresh new install. That should solve it.

Wern

Sounds like there are some leftover files on your machine. Try REVO uninstaller and see if you can do a clean wipe of EN. I'd also do a registry clean (CCleaner) after this. Reboot and try a fresh new install. That should solve it.

Wern

Thanks, Wern: I initially uninstalled with Revo in its Safe mode, then just now went back and did a Forced Uninstall in Moderate mode: no joy, same message from the installer, which leads me to belive, now, that the installer is ga-ga. (Also, multiple reboots.) I'd also tried installing in Windows Safe Boot and Diagnostic boot, more no joy. There is nary a lick of "Evernote" in the Registry--I went through it manually.

I got it running on my workstation by copying over the Evernote Program Files (x86) folder from another 64-bit machine and restoring the exb file. I still get the bogus error message, of course, and there is no way to repair the installation, but at least I have some functionality on the workstation. I'll start manually inserting the appropriate Registry keys as I have time.

Hopefully the next update will be a bit more solid and I can fix this correctly.

I have been unable to install the new version of Evernote to my desktop (to my knowledge I didn't have an old version) - I have repeatedly tried to install it and immediately get the message that the installation ended prematurely because of an error and to try again. Happens over and over. On two occasions I also got this error message .\Bootstrapper.cpp:886) 0x643:Fatal error during installation. I have Windows 7 home premium. Can anyone help?

Has anyone found a resolution to this? I am running 4.5.1 at the moment and wanted to upgrade to the most recent release. During the install I get this error. I have also tried the most recent beta and get the same error. I realize it's most likely not the install package since there are so few with this problem but I am looking for a solution or at least a place to start.

Hi, I try to update my evernote in my notebook. But I uninstall it not properly by deleting program folder manually. Also delete evernote info in user app data folder and registry, but always get error info in attached file. How can I solve this? BTW, evernote not provide uninstall link in startup program folder like other soft, maybe better to have it in newer version

post-84783-0-13363300-1323067162_thumb.j

You can use the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller to clean up and then do a fresh install of Evernote application. Assuming you have your database in the default location then it should work fine after you login.

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Edited by Owyn
Fixed typo.

You should be able to use Uninstall A Program in Control Panel to uninstall. Evernote, like lots of other programs, doesn't supply a Start Menu link to its uninstall.

Are you sure that you didn't install Evernote previously under a different account?