The File Export function is not exporting.  I'm using 6.22.3.8816 (308816) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954).

From within EN for Windows, I tried to backup my notes as an ENEX file. The notes were already fully synced. I have about 75,000 notes. 

Within a millisecond of clicking "SAVE," I got a dialog box saying, "Export Succeeded." 

Sure enough there is an ENEX file it created, but what I got seems to be an XML file of about 333 KB containing just one of my notes.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I'd appreciate any help, please. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you select a note and hit 'export',  Evernote will do that one note. If you select a notebook,  you'll get the whole notebook.  If you select 'All Notes' you'll get everything but ENEX does not store notebook information.  If you restore your notes from that file,  you get 75,000 notes in one notebook.  Best to save to ENEX one notebook at a time.  Make sure you check the options too - you need to have the 'save tags' option switched on.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you select a note and hit 'export',  Evernote will do that one note. If you select a notebook,  you'll get the whole notebook.  If you select 'All Notes' you'll get everything but ENEX does not store notebook information.  If you restore your notes from that file,  you get 75,000 notes in one notebook.  Best to save to ENEX one notebook at a time.  Make sure you check the options too - you need to have the 'save tags' option switched on.

Thanks to you and DTLow for your speedy replies.  I had no idea that ENEX does not capture Notebook membership for individual notes.

What about stacks? Would exporting a stack also lose Notebook membership?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, IncrediMetaBeta said:

No; Notebook/Stack information is not maintained in the .enex export feature   
Some users use separate export files to maintain Notebook information

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, IncrediMetaBeta said:

AFAIK there's no way for an ENEX file to record the notebook origin,  so the only way is to export notebook by notebook,  or to employ a work-around like tagging every note in each notebook with that notebook name.  I believe it's possible to use a batch file (windows) to automate the export of notebooks to separate files - there's a thread on that around here somewhere - but I'm just lazy.  There's a third-party app Backupery which does the job for me.  I run* a daily backup of all notes,  and retain a week's worth of backups.  Each week I have a system level backup of my hard drive,  which includes the 6 ENEX folders of the previous week,  so I'm pretty fully covered.

(When I say "I run" - I mean it happens as a scheduled activity between 6pm and 7pm daily.)