Export evernote table to a spreadsheet for sorting

Hi,

I use evernote to easily and quickly collect quotes when I am reading. I take my notes on-the-go from my android smartphone and access them on my computer when writing. I was thinking of exporting/copy-pasting my quotes into a csv file and sort quotes by author, alphabetically.

However, Evernote tables seems to consider each new line as a cell instead of the content of a single cell. Excel will merge cells if needed.

For instance, I have two or more merged cells for the author's name next to two or more cells containing a quote and whatever pieces of information I added with it.

Obviously, I am not consistent with it... so can't use a macro except if coded as such "If cell in column A is merged, much X cells on the right".

Is there a way to better work with tables in Evernote?

Or a way to embed a google spreadsheet into a note and access it directly without going to google spreadsheet?

I am also thinking of a zap... let's say, I have one note per quote with a tag "add quote" and Zappier will transfer the quote but I'd rather access my notes in Evernote itself.

Thanks a lot

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'd suggest creating a separate note for each quote and using tags for each author,  and a standard for 'quotes'.  Give each one a title which suits your system - maybe a summary of the topic,  like "how to succeed" or "strengths & weaknesses".  Then you could search for quotes in general,  or one author in particular and the results would be a list of options for your selection.

• Level 5*
On 1/2/2020 at 12:56 AM, LynuSBell said:

I use evernote to easily and quickly collect quotes when I am reading. I take my notes on-the-go from my android smartphone and access them on my computer when writing. I was thinking of exporting/copy-pasting my quotes into a csv file and sort quotes by author, alphabetically.

As per @gazumped, my solution is separate notes with tags for author, subject, ...1945697081_ScreenShot2020-01-02at8_45_04AM.png.fa801ecca2c68db105432740f9b208fc.png

My tag structure is
1058664640_ScreenShot2020-01-02at10_26_46PM.png.93be565c42bf76d39e35203cb5e335e3.png

A sample quote is1679214309_ScreenShot2020-01-02at10_25_02PM.png.d41028ae95b560690ad6c8050fd28723.png

>>I was thinking of exporting/copy-pasting my quotes into a csv file and sort quotes by author, alphabetically

I like to view my data in a spreadsheet; there's more options for sorting and reporting
I do the export using a script on my Mac

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I discovered the tag hierarchy and I simply love it!
I started sorting and tagging even more :D

Do you know if there is a way to tag all the tags in a hierarchy?

Let us say I want to tag

A species taxonomy (I am a biologist).

I would like to tag:

Vertebrates > fish > sharks > species of shark.
If I would tag a species of shark, it would tag all the tags upward. Is it possible? Maybe with Filterize?

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, LynuSBell said:

Do you know if there is a way to tag all the tags in a hierarchy?

This is not an Evernote feature
It can be done using third party Filterize, or scripting on a Mac

Automatic Tag Hierarchy

If you assign a tag, filterize can add all parent tags automatically. So you have the solution, as described in the third case, but without the requirement of adding all parent tags by hand.

Additionally, you can select which parent tags you are interested in. So if you have irrelevant tags in your hierarchy, you can avoid adding them.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, LynuSBell said:

I am curious about your scripting. I have a MAC but I am not so familiar with scripts.

Do you have it somewhere for download? Or how did you set it up.

I started an AppleScript discussion here https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112316-scripting-on-a-mac-applescript/

Navigating the tag hierarchy is simple, for example
     tell application "Evernote"
          repeat while
theTagParent is not missing value
               set the theTagParent to parent of theTagParent
          end repeat
     end
tell

Assigning tags is simple, for example
     tell application "Evernote"

assign tag TagParent to theNote
     end tell