Slow notes with attachments

ahmed alshudukhi

Idea

Good morning everybody 

I noticed that when I add attachments specifically pictures they’re not stars to be lucky and slow in terms of typing and viewing did anyone notice this issue or is it just me I noticed it specifically on the Mac app and actually it’s  less severe  on the iOS app 

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hello, maybe the reason is outside of EN.

For example, the iOS client will only load the little preview pictured of your notes into the app. The note itself with the much larger picture file will only load when you pick it and initiate the download.

The Mac (as the Windows) client will load the whole note into its database, always. As soon as you open the Evernote App it will start to synchronize, up and down. So when the internet connection is slow, and there were many changes to EN, this up-/downloading will brake the whole client down. This should fix itself once the downloads are done.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Hello, maybe the reason is outside of EN.

For example, the iOS client will only load the little preview pictured of your notes into the app. The note itself with the much larger picture file will only load when you pick it and initiate the download.

The Mac (as the Windows) client will load the whole note into its database, always. As soon as you open the Evernote App it will start to synchronize, up and down. So when the internet connection is slow, and there were many changes to EN, this up-/downloading will brake the whole client down. This should fix itself once the downloads are done.

Its not an internet issue

and by the way i forgot to mention the web version is smooth 

interesting point regarding the “downloading the full-size pictures, could it be that the app cannot handle full size pictures and starts to gets slow? Considering that the size is sub-megabyte? 

Another question is that I download all my notebooks offline, would that eliminate the issue you suggested or not?

• Level 5

The Web-Version works on the cloud-database directly. So it is no comparison to the localized database on the Win/Mac-client. There you work locally, and sync it with the cloud database. On both PC-versions the pictures should be located on your HDD/SSD after the sync. This is different with the mobile versions, that load only the „headers“ and previews, and the rest goes „on demand“ of an individual note.

With special settings (local vs. offline):

A local notebook on the Mac can be a way to avoid sync with the cloud for sensitive content. On Win/Mac, all notebooks are local, but those marked as local are only local, not synced, and not available on other devices and the web.

On the mobile versions, offline notebooks mean that theses notes will be downloaded to the mobile device for offline use. This will not change the behavior of the Mac-client, because there everything is local / offline by design.

A sub-meg-attachment should not slow anything. How many notes do you have ?

In the Windows-client (I am not familiar with MacOS, but it should be similar), you can reach additional menu items when you press and hold the ctrl-key  (cmd ?) while choosing the „Help“-menu. These items allow to reorganize the local database (new indexing, search for „lost“ links etc.). My database got faster after I used this.

To be on the save side, I would make a new sync first, then cancel the Internet-connection, make a Backup of the Evernote-Database, use the extra help-options (step by step, with care ...), see if everything is still working (closing and opening the EN-app, run some tests etc.) and then reestablish the internet connection, and sync again.

If things went bad locally, restore to the Backup you made before.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

A local notebook on the Mac can be a way to avoid sync with the cloud for sensitive content. On Win/Mac, all notebooks are local, but those marked as local are only local, not synced, and not available on other devices and the web.

That's a pretty confusing description. You're using the term "local notebook" to refer to two different contexts when only one applies in Evernote.

A "local" notebook in the Evernote desktop products is one that is never synced to the Evernote servers. All notebooks are not local notebooks; in fact, the default for notebooks is non-local (i.e., synced to the Evernote servers). With respect to the Windows product at least, Evernote maintains a database of information for all of your notes on your computer: that includes information for notes from local notebooks and notes from synced notebooks.

With respect to the note information that's stored in that database, normally all note content is stored, including attachments. However, you can configure Evernote to only store some note content on your computer (Tools / Options / Synchronization / "Purge rarely viewed note content". This is useful for devices with limited disk storage. Notes that are viewed frequently will maintain all of their content on the computer; the content of notes that are rarely viewed is deleted from the computer, but you can still search for these notes and their content will be downloaded as needed.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

My distinction was rather between local (desktop) and offline (mobile) notebooks, as explained above.

In Evernote terms, Local Notebooks are not sync'd to the server (Windows/Mac feature)
                                 Offline Notebooks are available when not connected to the internet, i.e. offline
                                                                    (automatic for Windows/Mac, a feature for Android/IOS)
It's confusing in English, and probably in other languages too.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for the additional information on the desktop clients.

My distinction was rather between local (desktop) and offline (mobile) notebooks, as explained above.

Sure, but the bit that I quoted wasn't really clear because your use of the term "local" means different things in those two sentences. "On Windows/Mac, all notebooks are local" is actually untrue where "local" means "unsynched notebooks", and misleading where "local" means "stored locally on your computer", since it doesn't tell the whole story.

Archived