I reinstalled Evernote and now I have no more space on the Mac

Good evening, a few days ago I unexpectedly closed Evernote and when I came back all the notes had disappeared. Instinctively, I decided to cancel the app and reinstall it. Now the notes have reappeared, the problem is that Evernote keeps on synchronizing and in a few days it has consumed me 50 GB of the Mac.

Do you advise me what can I do?

Is it possible that on the Mac I now have both the old database and the new one that is syncing now?

Otherwise I would not explain why I do not have more space on the Mac .. Thanks

• Level 5*

I would advise removing Evernote completely, and starting fresh.

This means deleting the app, database, other components.  The app AppCleaner is recommended for this.

Reinstall the Evernote app, login, and the database will be rebuilt from the server.  (Warning, the rebuild does not include unsync'd notes or Local Notebooks) 

To delete the app I drag it to the computer, to delete the database, how can I do?

One question: on my Mac are all the notes of Evernote physically present? If so, this means that when I delete the above I get rid of the Mac of hundreds of giga ... is that correct? (I have evernote premium and often raggong the 10 gig per month ....)

Thank you 

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, r_ziliani said:

on my Mac are all the notes of Evernote physically present?

Yes, Evernote/Mac maintains a full copy of our data.

>>to delete the database, how can I do?

I already recommended the app AppCleaner.

This can be done manually if you know the full path to your database folder.
I learned my database location by holding down the option key and selecting Help > TroubleShooting > Open Database Folder282102042_ScreenShot2019-02-07at13_23_08.png.4c070b87f1daa2bd4922c37c5061e7d2.png

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, r_ziliani said:

I have read this information on other posts, but on my version of Evernote I can not find this 'troubleshooting' submenu in the help menu ....why? (I'm sorry but I'm Italian)

You're doing much better than I could do in an Italian discussion.

Make sure you hold down the option key when selecting Help.

30 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Ahahahahah, thank you!

31 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Make sure you hold down the option key when selecting Help.

However, I confirm that if I place myself on the help menu and press the alt key nothing happens.

I have the version of Evernote 7.2...

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, r_ziliani said:

However, I confirm that if I place myself on the help menu and press the alt key nothing happens.

Reverse the order

Hold down the option/alt key then select the help menu

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, r_ziliani said:

Ok, at this point I have to delete only the folder 'content' that should be the database or I can go back and delete the whole folder com.evernote.Evernote?

I would delete the com.evernote folder and start fresh

btw   Your database folder name is something like   1234567

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, r_ziliani said:

Sorry I did not understand, can I delete the entire com.evernote folder as attached or just the 80gb 'content' folder which I assume is the database?

I recommend deleting "the entire com.evernote folder"

>>'content' folder which I assume is the database?

"content" is only one part of the datase folder - it contains the note contents

355344301_ScreenShot2019-02-09at07_20_54.png.9f0494baaa1d97a8d295cf861d3c9fc7.png

• 1 month later...

Hi DTLow and hi everyone, can you tell me why I have two com.evernote folders in two different mac paths? One in "Containers" and one in "Application Support"?

Can one of the two cancel it? Thank you 

1.png

2.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, r_ziliani said:

can you tell me why I have two com.evernote folders in two different mac paths? One in "Containers" and one in "Application Support"?

Can one of the two cancel it? Thank you 

There's two different versions of Evernote; App Store and Direct Download

They have different database locations; Application Support is used for the Direct Download version

Yes, you can delete the unused database folder.

Thanks a lot DTLow 
How can I figure out which one I can delete?
Do I follow the path you described above (holding down the option key and selecting Help > TroubleShooting > Open Database Folder) to locate the one in use and delete the entire folder of the other path? 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, r_ziliani said:

How can I figure out which one I can delete?
Do I follow the path you described above (holding down the option key and selecting Help > TroubleShooting > Open Database Folder) to locate the one in use and delete the entire folder of the other path? 

That should work, but I'd be concerned about all the bits and pieces from each version

Honestly, I would nuke the entire installation and start fresh.  The app AppCleaner is recommended for this.

• Level 5

Sorry for my non-existing Italian (such a beautiful language, by the way).

Personally I would feel better before deleting anything to grab a copy before. From my understanding of the Mac, there should be a permanent time machine backup running (?!).

In my case on my windows desktop I would grab one of my portable HDDs and run a copy of the database(s). And only then start to get rid of the local data, and rebuild the EN data from the server.

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

That should work, but I'd be concerned about all the bits and pieces from each version

Honestly, I would nuke the entire installation and start fresh.  The app AppCleaner is recommended for this.

I'm sure I've done all the steps you explained above, including AppCleaner.
Having no more space on the mac yesterday I tried to use this which gave me these results.
I no longer know what to do vermanete, I will try once again to do it all over again.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sorry for my non-existing Italian (such a beautiful language, by the way).

Personally I would feel better before deleting anything to grab a copy before. From my understanding of the Mac, there should be a permanent time machine backup running (?!).

In my case on my windows desktop I would grab one of my portable HDDs and run a copy of the database(s). And only then start to get rid of the local data, and rebuild the EN data from the server.

No problem for your Italian, it's more embarrassing for me not to know English :) 
However TimeMachine I'm not using it right now, I have the important files saved on an HD too.

• Level 5

Here I have to share a little story: My ethics teacher at school was fluent in Italian. And when he was embarrassed, or we were slow with answers, or whatever, he used to change into Italian and say many words, the way Italians are talking when they get emotionally engaged.

We were sitting there and listened, nobody moved or interrupted, just for the beauty of how he said what he said. Of course, we did not understand a word. But he and we enjoyed ...

And then we went on discussing the wise phrases of some long dead philosophers. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, r_ziliani said:

I'm sure I've done all the steps you explained above, including AppCleaner.
Having no more space on the mac yesterday I tried to use this which gave me these results.

If AppCleaner did it's job, you should have gained close to 300GB of storage space

You may have to manually delete the folders you identified above.

I was going to ask you about the size of your Evernote datatabase.  It seems excessive.  Do you really have that much data?

On 3/24/2019 at 8:41 PM, PinkElephant said:

Here I have to share a little story: My ethics teacher at school was fluent in Italian. And when he was embarrassed, or we were slow with answers, or whatever, he used to change into Italian and say many words, the way Italians are talking when they get emotionally engaged.

We were sitting there and listened, nobody moved or interrupted, just for the beauty of how he said what he said. Of course, we did not understand a word. But he and we enjoyed ...

And then we went on discussing the wise phrases of some long dead philosophers. 

Great beautiful anecdote :) If you ever come to Italy, write me :)

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

If AppCleaner did it's job, you should have gained close to 300GB of storage space

You may have to manually delete the folders you identified above.

I was going to ask you about the size of your Evernote datatabase.  It seems excessive.  Do you really have that much data?

I'm wondering if I've used the CCleaner app, and not AppCleaner.
At this point I should start over, delete everything with AppCleaner and then check manually if something is still left.
I was really heedless :(

P.S. I also have Evernote on PC windows and the Databases folder weighs 155gb

Archived