Suggestion to Improve Printing of Long Notes

In December, 2013 I posted this Feature Request (ID 288590)

-----

In the options when printing, Evernote allows users to print the Note Name, Notebook, Date Created, etc. This is fine for short notes ... but some of mine are very long! 

In order to improve the printing of long notes, we should be able to add Evernote info as well as system info (page numbers, etc.) into Headers and Footers, the same way we can in Web Browsers, Excel, Word, and many other applications. 

-----

This has still not been added to Evernote. I find this incredibly frustrating as I have very long project notes that I must print out in order to review for accuracy, etc. 

Why has this not been added? Others have complained about it for years: searching for "page number" in Community returns dozens of entries!

Thanks very much,

John

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

In December, 2013 I posted this Feature Request (ID 288590)

-----

In the options when printing, Evernote allows users to print the Note Name, Notebook, Date Created, etc. This is fine for short notes ... but some of mine are very long! 

In order to improve the printing of long notes, we should be able to add Evernote info as well as system info (page numbers, etc.) into Headers and Footers, the same way we can in Web Browsers, Excel, Word, and many other applications. 

-----

This has still not been added to Evernote. I find this incredibly frustrating as I have very long project notes that I must print out in order to review for accuracy, etc. 

Why has this not been added? Others have complained about it for years: searching for "page number" in Community returns dozens of entries!

Thanks very much,

John

Check Tools - Options - Printing.  It's been available for a while now. 

Image.png.afd955cf7c39ab2fb74c5356d3614034.png

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

How about printing to pdf.  This gives you  more options; for example page #s

Really? Let me look at that, I have been copying to MS Word, fixing all of the errors (fonts and font sizes don't copy properly), then adding headers and footers!

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Check Tools - Options - Printing.  It's been available for a while now. 

Image.png.afd955cf7c39ab2fb74c5356d3614034.png

Thanks CalS. I actually print Notebook Name, Updated Date, and Tags with mine. What I want is to have the page number in the header or footer added to that list

As an example, I just printed a 40 page project note to review and summarize. I would really like to have page numbers also!

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

Thanks CalS. I actually print Notebook Name, Updated Date, and Tags with mine. What I want is to have the page number in the header or footer added to that list

As an example, I just printed a 40 page project note to review and summarize. I would really like to have page numbers also!

Got it.  In that case workaround at the moment would be to print to PDF per @DTLow

On 11/22/2018 at 3:15 PM, CalS said:

Got it.  In that case workaround at the moment would be to print to PDF per @DTLow

Just printed a 20 page project plan to PDF. Same 0.5" margins as printing direct from Evernote, no page numbers in the header or footer, it actually looks identical to printing from Evernote. The only difference seems to be that that the print to PDF document is one line shorter than the direct print. The basic text is 8 pt Tahoma mostly so that's not much of a difference.

I looked to see if there was some place in Evernote to add in the page numbers and couldn't find anything.

Did I miss something in the above thread?

Thanks,

John

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, johnm243 said:

Just printed a 20 page project plan to PDF.

I was thinking of converting your document to pdf format.  Then printing the pdf with a different app.

imho  I would not use the Evernote editor for a 20 page project plan.  
           The editor is ok for basic notes; for serious work I use Word/Pages.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I was thinking of converting your document to pdf format.  Then printing the pdf with a different app.

Thanks @DTLow, but that is too much work, I may as well do what I do now: copy and paste into Word, fix the problems with the font changes and font size changes (something I complained about years ago ... and also hasn't been fixed), then print the doc with headers and footers...

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

imho  I would not use the Evernote editor for a 20 page project plan.  
           The editor is ok for basic notes; for serious work I use Word/Pages.

Actually, about 98% of my project notes are 2 to 5 pages, it is rather rare that I have really long ones. But browsers have page number codes, why can't Evernote?

I can't use Word: I need to have access on my phone and tablet. In addition, the searching in Evernote is top-notch. 

I asked for this function to be added to Evernote years ago. The fact that it hasn't been is very frustrating. I'm starting to think I should look at other Note apps. The problem is that I have been using Evernote since 2008 ... so I would need to convert over 5,000 notes! If I get frustrated enough and find another app that can convert Evernote Notes and Notebooks, I would rather pay for something that has the functionality I need!

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

I can't use Word: I need to have access on my phone and tablet.

That's a good point.  

Evernote has file viewers, but ediiting attachments really sucks on IOS

Archived