Today I uninstalled Evernote on my iPad2 and tried to install it again. To my surprise, the new version need iOS 10.3, but iPad2 can only update to iOS 9.3. Then it would be impossible to use Evernote on my iPad2? Thanks!

• Level 5*

Yes. At some point developers stop supporting older iOS platforms as it both requires more resources to update for multiple iOS versions. As it is, Evernote is supporting 3 iOS versions (10, 11, 12). Plus, you have increasingly fewer and fewer users using it making supporting it via updates even more expensive per user to do.

That iPad was released in early 2011, so it is now over 7 years old, and Apple themselves stopped supporting it in 2016 with iOS 10. The biggest thing is Apple has moved 100% to 64 bit apps for iOS, and Evernote has followed. The iPad 2 (and 3 for that matter) are 32bit only.

I know it sucks, but apps cannot be updated forever for older devices. And Apple has chosen not to allow older apps to remain in the store. This is not a thing Evernote or any other developer has any control over.

Hi @EdH  You are correct with your points. But the older devices don't need more support, but the right to run the old version.

Is there any workaround to get it usable again on my iPad2? Thank you!

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, actant said:

But the older devices don't need more support, but the right to run the old version.

afaik   Older versions are still operational.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

afaik   Older versions are still operational.

Thanks! Yes. Older versions do work. But I just uninstalled my old verison mistakenly. Now I can't install it again.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, actant said:

Hi @EdH  You are correct with your points. But the older devices don't need more support, but the right to run the old version.

Is there any workaround to get it usable again on my iPad2? Thank you!

if you have the old Evernote app in your iTunes library on your PC/Mac, you can install it. You can try the instructions here. As far as the right to run it, I don't think, in the thousands of words in it, that is not included in the iOS EULA you agreed to. Tends to be one sided - i.e. what Apple wants.

21 minutes ago, EdH said:

if you have the old Evernote app in your iTunes library on your PC/Mac, you can install it. You can try the instructions here. As far as the right to run it, I don't think, in the thousands of words in it, that is not included in the iOS EULA you agreed to. Tends to be one sided - i.e. what Apple wants.

I have the habit of keeping historic versions of Evernote for Android, but not of Evernote for iOS, since I believed that Apple would always keep a usable version for me. The age of Jobs' Apple that can be trusted seems to be over long long ago.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, actant said:

The age of Jobs' Apple that can be trusted seems to be over long long ago.

This didn't change when Job's died. They haven't violated the EULA. The policy has remained the same. So you can still trust it. But you have to know what is in it, and not assume your expectations are in it.

5 minutes ago, EdH said:

This didn't change when Job's died. They haven't violated the EULA. The policy has remained the same. So you can still trust it. But you have to know what is in it, and not assume your expectations are in it.

I noticed that some apps in App Store provide their older versions for running on old devices. So I think that it's Evernote, but not Apple, who refuses to provide the Evernote version that runs on iOS 9.3. Do you think so?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, actant said:

To my surprise, the new version need iOS 10.3, but iPad2 can only update to iOS 9.3.

Did you try to dowload the app.  Sometimes the  App Store adjusts to match the IOS version.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, actant said:

Yes. I tried it. No usable version is provided.

Part of that may be security, which is a big part of Evernote. They recently rendered all but 2 versions of EN for Windows obsolete a few months ago. I suspect they routinely remove old versions from all platforms so they don't have to go back and figure out if the thing they just updated on their cloud server has any adverse effects on old versions, especially security issues.

Again, 8 year old device running an OS 4 versions old communicating with a cloud server that is updated daily. At some point, you cannot expect it to work. It isn't like Minesweeper on Windows. If you get one to run from Windows 95 on Windows 10, no real harm can come from it. That can be very different with something that is supposed to keep your data secure. Heck, in 2011 (when iPad 2 was released) everyone was still using TLS 1.0 or 1.1 for online encrypted communications. Now that is has been blocked by just about every reputable service in the last 18 months.

I saw my old Windows Phone devices get blocked a few years ago when they could no longer authenticate certificates with SHA1, and SHA256 or better became mandatatory. That is just how stuff works today, which is good actually.

You could try Evernote on the browser at www.evernote.com, but I suspect Safari in iOS 9 may not be secure enough to connect or smart enough to read the site HTML, or a combination of both.

4 minutes ago, EdH said:

Part of that may be security, which is a big part of Evernote. They recently rendered all but 2 versions of EN for Windows obsolete a few months ago. I suspect they routinely remove old versions from all platforms so they don't have to go back and figure out if the thing they just updated on their cloud server has any adverse effects on old versions, especially security issues..

I understand that security is important for all kinds of cloud service. But, it would be unacceptable if Apple denied iCloud service to my iPad2.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, actant said:

I understand that security is important for all kinds of cloud service. But, it would be unacceptable if Apple denied iCloud service to my iPad2.

Prepare for it. There are already features in iCloud not supported by iOS 9, and anything earlier than iOS 5 cannot connect at all. At some point those versions will crank up and iOS 9 won't be supported either. Will that be in 2020, 2023, 2025? only apple knows.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204230

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Yeah this is typical Apple strong arming customers to be forced to buy more expensive Apple gear.  Hardware CAN be supported for a very long time, ask Microsoft.  I replaced my $500 iPad with a Nuvision Windows 11.6" tablet for $139!  I was hopping to squeeze a little more life out of my iPad but am shut down again.  THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I WENT BACK TO MICROSOFT.