Auto correct spelling screwed up when editing words

Hello, I've used Evernote for a while and am very happy with the product overall but have had persistent issues for months with the auto correct function going overboard when I try to edit words I originally mistyped... for example I misspelled "went" as "event" and when I place my cursor in the word to erase 'ev' and replace with 'w' the word auto corrects to "wenwet" or "eweewent". I assumed this type of glitch would be fixed in a patch but it has been happening so often and makes editing words such a pain I wanted to share with Evernote/community to see if perhaps there is a way of changing spell check / auto correct to use the same logic as my device (in this case Android), or alternatively to update the native technology to not auto correct words when the cursor is placed in them for editing. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm using the beta Android version 8.4 and as far as I can tell what 'spell check' I have is driven by my keyboard app predictive text.  What's your device,  and what versions of Android and Evernote are you using?

On 9/7/2018 at 9:55 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, @pko1219, and welcome to the forums! I also think that Evernote does not have any built-in autocorrect or spell-check in the Android app. But if such things are only happening in Evernote, there may be some problem in the interaction between it and your keyboard app.

I'm having what appears to be a similar issue. I'm using a Samsung phone SM. When I go into text within a note and try to make Corrections, it leaves part of the selected word and then inserts the new word before, in the middle of, or at the end of part of the original text. I reloaded the application yesterday. It seems to have resolved an issue that I was having of runaway text where certain phrases that I dictated into the text repeated over and over again until I stopped them and then had to go back and delete all that garbage. But the issue with not removing the full word and entering the new word as well persists. I've tested by selecting the suggested word from the menu and keying the revised word in myself. Same results. But not consistently an error.

• 4 weeks later...

All, thanks for the feedback and apologies for the delayed response. I have a Samsung S8 and when I go into the Samsung Keyboard settings and turn off predictive text, the crazy autocorrect issue within evernote stops happening, confirming there is a problem with the interaction between the device settings and Evernote. But since I want to use predictive text in all my other applications this doesnt seem like a good long term fix. I again did some testing and found that the predictive text issue only happens in Evernote, not in my Samsung Messages app, Whatsapp, Chrome, etc. Any other thoughts on how to resolve the issue so I can still use predictive text on my device and get it to behave the same in Evernote as every other app? For reference, Im on Android 8.0.0, Samsung experience 9.0, and Evernote 8.4.1. Thanks!

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, pko1219 said:

Any other thoughts on how to resolve the issue

Different keyboards are available for Android devices - I use SwiftKey which has its own predictive text and doesn't seem to cause any problems...

• Level 5

As @gazumped says, it would be worth a try to switch to a different keyboard app. (I use Smart Keyboard Pro for its multiple languages, and don't have a predictive text issue in Evernote.) But keyboards tend to be pretty individual preferences, I think, and if you like the Samsung Keyboard a change might not be welcome. At any rate, it could be worth testing a different keyboard, to see if it's Evernote vs. predictive text in general, or just the Samsung Keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

There does seem to be a problem in the interaction between the Evernote app and the predictive text feature of the Samsung keyboard. If you don't need predictive text, you could try turning it off and see if that helps. Long-term, though, the solution will probably lie in some update by Evernote and/or Samsung.

• 4 weeks later...

I have same problem on a Samsung S8. Yes I could change keyboards but that will lose other benefits of this keyboard. 

There is a clear bug in the software as this is a problem with no other apps.  As Evernote have limited the free app to two devices it would be nice if interaction glitches were sorted out so it could be used properly in this limited way. 

Archived