Evernote changes my search to a new note

• Level 5

1.) When I type a search, I only get the first 6 to 8 characters in before Evernote informs me there are no matches. Example: A search for tag:evernote is stopped at tag:eve

2.) And Evernote grabs the balance of my search term rnote and converts it to a new note called rnote.

See two attachments below for an illustration of the recurring problem. This applies to any type of search.

Windows 6.10.3.6921 (306921) Public

Evernote partial search.png

Evernote new note created.png

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

1.) When I type a search, I only get the first 6 to 8 characters in before Evernote informs me there are no matches. Example: A search for tag:evernote is stopped at tag:eve

2.) And Evernote grabs the balance of my search term rnote and converts it to a new note called rnote.

See two attachments below for an illustration of the recurring problem. This applies to any type of search.

Windows 6.10.3.6921 (306921) Public

Fixed for me in 6.11.2 GA.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, CalS said:

Fixed for me in 6.11.2 GA.

Thanks for the tip.

I found a workaround solution. I type my entire search into Microsoft's Notepad, then copy and paste into Evernote. Clunky - yes,  but it runs the correct search and stops creating new notes.

I'm surprised Evernote classified "- Improved the performance of note loading" as an Improvement:. The "note loading" was fine a couple releases ago. I would classify this as Fixed:

I'll watch the comments for version 6.11.2 GA for a couple more weeks. If the reaction is positive, I'll jump in. It still looks a bit wonky. Evernote does not seem to believe in Orson Wells mantra about good music, good wine, and good software. "We will sell no wine before its time." 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I found a workaround solution.

Did you try typing the search term, and then adding the tag:?  Might be quicker than the copy/paste, and may even find the the note.  And there's always Ctrl-Q to start the process.  Or go on the wild side and try 6.11.  ;)  It is working well for me, IAC.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, CalS said:

Did you try typing the search term, and then adding the tag:?  Might be quicker than the copy/paste, and may even find the the note.  And there's always Ctrl-Q to start the process.  Or go on the wild side and try 6.11.  ;)  It is working well for me, IAC.

Thanks. 

I wonder if the 50 milliseconds type delay was causing my problem.

Ctrl-Q is a nice feature as well (if I can remember it). Based on other suggestions to change it to 0 requires an additional ENTER. I'll try pushing the delay up to 150 milliseconds to see if that solves my problem.

The Wild Side scenario... I've learned from past experiences it is better to let other users find the Evernote GA bugs (such as - the Mac 5.0 upgrade, - the Skitch 2 upgrade, - the iOS7 upgrade, - and the infamous Evernote Windows error code 2732before I jump into a new version.

• Level 5*

Based on other suggestions to change it to 0 requires an additional ENTER. I'll try pushing the delay up to 150 milliseconds to see if that solves my problem.

The delay could impact the search kicking off but not sure how the delay would add a note,  IAC, I think I remember when I was having the issue in 6.10 I would type right through the colon and EN would just stop at the : and add a note of that after the colon.  My delay was set at 50.  FWIW. 

Also, get it on the resistance to the pioneer trail of recent releases.  

• Level 5*

Thanks. 

I wonder if the 50 milliseconds type delay was causing my problem.

Ctrl-Q is a nice feature as well (if I can remember it). Based on other suggestions to change it to 0 requires an additional ENTER. I'll try pushing the delay up to 150 milliseconds to see if that solves my problem.

The Wild Side scenario... I've learned from past experiences it is better to let other users find the Evernote GA bugs (such as - the Mac 5.0 upgrade, - the Skitch 2 upgrade, - the iOS7 upgrade, - and the infamous Evernote Windows error code 2732before I jump into a new version.

This issue started with 6.10. Resolved for some with 6.11. I still experience it in 6.11 and am using a longer search delay as a workaround.

Details here: 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, tavor said:

This issue started with 6.10. Resolved for some with 6.11. I still experience it in 6.11

And this is the part that is just weird.  How 6.11 would remove the issue introduced in 6.10 for me and not for you.  :wacko:

Two settings of interest, I have Automatically save edited note set to 300 seconds and sync frequency set to Automatic.  And per above, search as you type delay at 50.

• Level 5

Well, I changed my mind and went with the upgrade to Windows 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public.  The problem still occurs.

Steps to reproduce:

• Search for... tag:evernote
  • Evernote accepts a portion of the search... tag:evern
  • Evernote finds... no results
  • Evernote creates a new note called... ote

So I contacted Evernote Support. I am a long-time Premium subscriber.  It looks like their decision to use 3rd-party support is not going over very well. They sent me an automated reply and basically told me to use their live-chat or cool my jets for a week! 

"We've received your request. We're experiencing higher ticket volumes than normal, so it may take up to one week before you receive a reply."

"We've picked a few articles that may be helpful for you, but if you need help right away, contact us via live chat (Evernote Premium & Business)."

Shaking my head, the helpful articles are:

• What are the different types of screenshots in Skitch?
  • How to remove the Safari Web Clipper
  • How to send an Evernote activity log.
  • Level 5

Well, well, well. I got a quick reply from a Certified Consultant who gave me the bad news:

"I am sorry you are facing this issue, this is actually a known reported issue with searching in Evernote windows version. There is no ETA for a fix yet, but I personally hope it gets resolved soon, as it's impacting most of the Windows users. "

"Sorry I did not provide a resolution for the issue, but hopefully that clarified it. "

My response:

Thank you for the reply. It is different from my two previous support requests on the subject.

So, I will continue to create my search terms in Microsoft Notepad then copy & paste to Evernote. It does not solve the lag problem, but it prevents unneeded notes from being created.

And her reply:

Hi John, Yes that might help. And sorry for the inconvenience...."

• Level 5*

"I am sorry you are facing this issue, this is actually a known reported issue with searching in Evernote windows version. There is no ETA for a fix yet, but I personally hope it gets resolved soon, as it's impacting most of the Windows users. "

Lucky me not being in the "most" group.  There's always a retro to 6.7.5.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, CalS said:

I went back to Windows 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public

Ahhh! The incredible power of contentment and bliss. I'm back to normal. Everything works the way it is supposed to.

No more taking the wild side with current Evernote GA's.

Suggestion to Evernote: hire some Quality Control people to manage your Quality Control people.

Contentment.png

• Level 5*
On 4/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, CalS said:

Well, I have migrated to the "most" group.  Creating notes as a result of created and intitle searches again.  :(

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, CalS said:

Well, I have migrated to the "most" group.  Creating notes as a result of created and intitle searches again.  :(

Welcome! We saved a seat for you. :P

Try bumping up the search delay. That's what papered over this bug for me.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, tavor said:

Welcome! We saved a seat for you. :P

Try bumping up the search delay. That's what papered over this bug for me.

Thanks for the thought, though I think I will just train myself to use  Ctrl+Q all the more often.

Archived