Lost all my notes due to computer reinstall

Hi Evernote team,

I just formatted my computer (the Windows partition), but left my EN database untouched at some path at D:\application-data\Evernote. I launched EN without reinstalling (the program was still there at D:\programs\Evernote), and it asked me to log in. I logged in to my account, so EN started syncing my notes. To prevent EN from downloading all my stuff from servers, I changed the database location to D:\application-data\Evernote.

To my surprise, and without any prompt, EN replaced my entire database with the "fresh" one, which is strictly newer, and from the same account, but only has a single notebook with a single note it could sync (in the little interval between launching the app and changing the database path), instead of the loads of notes, notebooks and tags I've created. Furthermore, EN synced after that, so my web content was also wiped clean.

I know I have a basic account, because it fits my workflow well. I've been considering upgrading, but then this happens.

I still have a chance of recovering my database from another laptop, which I can't access right now. For good measure, I disabled all my devices from the webapp.

My question is: How can I make sure that my laptop's database won't be wiped clean when I log in on that computer?

Maybe I just need to back it up, touch the files and let them be synced again. Will try when I can access that computer.

I would like to ask for some warning before the overwriting occurs. Sure, I could have legit gone offline and ditched all my notes. Then, on sync, EN would have rightfully wiped them. But then again, the "blank slate" database had been just generated from scratch, automatically. It didn't have any history in common with the thousands-notes-database that was silently deleted.

Moreover, trying to recover the deleted files through file recovery software proved impossible, since the blank database overwrote the files with the same names (which is understandable).

Thank you all for your support. Besides this mishap (which I hope to solve), I truly believe EN is an excellent tool.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, aletandilero said:

How can I make sure that my laptop's database won't be wiped clean when I log in on that computer?

Check your notes on the server using the web platform (www.evernote.com)

This is the master copy of your data and will be downloaded when you install Evernote on your device

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, aletandilero said:

My question is: How can I make sure that my laptop's database won't be wiped clean when I log in on that computer?

Since the data on the server has been deleted you need to disconnect your laptop from the internet before you open EN, also make a copy of your EXB file for safety.  Then open EN and export all your notes by notebook using the ENEX format.  Then connect to the internet and let the sync happen which will no doubt delete all the notes on your laptop.  When the sync is done import all of the ENEX files that you created.  This may be an upload volume issue, but you can sign up for one month if you want to get all done in one setting.

Hello people,

I'm glad to tell you that my database was not lost! :D

I've made the backups and tested to import some notes, before letting the wipeout happen. That must have bumped the local database timestamp. So when EN synced, it didn't erase any of the notes. Moreover, all the notes where synced without taking up the monthly quota (it took some time of course).

So, in short, when having a last standing database (even when the notes have been erased on the servers):

1) First, don't let EN sync, by disconnecting from the Internet.

2) Backup the database up at CalS said:

On 24/1/2018 at 17:40, CalS dijo:

... before you open EN, also make a copy of your EXB file for safety.  Then open EN and export all your notes by notebook using the ENEX format...

3) Modify the local database (I imported some notes from backup and deleted some others).

4) Let it sync. The more recent timestamp SHOULD let the database be updated to the servers.

Thank you all for your support. Happy Evernoting! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I'm a Mac OSX 10.10.5 user. I recently had to reinstall my OS due to a crashed hard drive. Everything has been re-installed accurately, however Evernote isn't reading all of my saved notes. I was relieved to find everything safely stored on the Evernote web-server.  Unfortunately the Evernote desktop and mobile Apps won't acknowledge all of my stored notes.

As you can see in the graphic below... under GENERAL NOTES there are 2,296 notes view-able through the web-server. However, the Evernote App displays 456 readable notes. This same issue applies to the mobile app as well. The apps are not acknowledging all 2,296 of my stored notes. This is a very aggravating issue when I'm searching for critical information. Help would be greatly appreciated.

EvernoteScreenSnapz001.png 

Archived