Jump to content
  • 2
rcwhiteley

Increase audio recording quality or provide an option to?

Idea

Is there a way to increase the recording quality? Or can anyone suggest an alternative app that records in higher quality, for example in mp3 format?

I use Evernote to record music ideas on my phone, but the audio is really compressed and so you can't hear the music very clearly. I just want an app where I can record and easily organise ideas. The recording does not need to be super high quality, but Evernote is really compressed. A 4 minute audio file is about 100KB. When I record using the default recording app on my phone, the quality is much better.

I have attached an example of one of my recordings below so you can hear how bad the sound quality is. (I have converted the file to mp3 so you can hear it, but this is pretty much how the original file sounds when played in Evernote).

10_Jan_2018_I_can_t_think_straight.mp3

Share this post


Link to post

8 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 1
5 hours ago, rcwhiteley said:

Is there a way to increase the recording quality? Or can anyone suggest an alternative app that records in higher quality, for example in mp3 format?

I use Evernote to record music ideas on my phone, but the audio is really compressed and so you can't hear the music very clearly. I just want an app where I can record and easily organise ideas. The recording does not need to be super high quality, but Evernote is really compressed. A 4 minute audio file is about 100KB. When I record using the default recording app on my phone, the quality is much better.

I have attached an example of one of my recordings below so you can hear how bad the sound quality is. (I have converted the file to mp3 so you can hear it, but this is pretty much how the original file sounds when played in Evernote).

10_Jan_2018_I_can_t_think_straight.mp3

Under Settings - Audio on the iPhone there is an option for High Quality or Low Size.  Don't know if High Quality meets your requirement though.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, rcwhiteley said:

Or can anyone suggest an alternative app that records in higher quality, for example in mp3 format?

If you identify your platform/device, you'll get more specific suggestions.

Sorry, I'm not into recording but I know there are many dedicated recording apps available

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 16/01/2018 at 5:04 PM, CalS said:

Under Settings - Audio on the iPhone there is an option for High Quality or Low Size.  Don't know if High Quality meets your requirement though.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's an issue with a quality setting on my phone, because other apps record in good quality. It's just that Evernote compresses audio recordings quite a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 16/01/2018 at 5:31 PM, DTLow said:

If you identify your platform/device, you'll get more specific suggestions.

Sorry, I'm not into recording but I know there are many dedicated recording apps available

Hi, thanks. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 android phone. I have another audio recording app, but I want an app with the organisational and note taking capabilities of Evernote, but with recordings that are of good enough quality.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
26 minutes ago, rcwhiteley said:

Hi, thanks. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 android phone. I have another audio recording app, but I want an app with the organisational and note taking capabilities of Evernote, but with recordings that are of good enough quality.

Does it have to be a single app?

I'd use the best quality recording app, and store the recording in Evernote

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

Does it have to be a single app?

I'd use the best quality recording app, and store the recording in Evernote

Preferably a single app, for simplicity. What you're suggesting does work, it just adds in an extra step of adding files to the note.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/18/2018 at 11:47 AM, rcwhiteley said:

Preferably a single app, for simplicity. What you're suggesting does work, it just adds in an extra step of adding files to the note.

Hi. Try Notebook by Zoho. The audio quality is good and they listen to their customers. I've been asking for the quality improve and they keep saying "use a dedicated app". I needed too what you're asking for, and as Evernote doesn't want to improve their audio quality IN 2018, there are other options available. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, markrichmans said:

Try Notebook by Zoho. The audio quality is good...

Can you advise as to the format used for recordings?
Evernote uses .m4a files (iPad) at 128kbs

>>there are other options available. 

That would be my solution; using a dedicated recording app.

I'd also look into upgrading my recording hardware; like an external mic.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...