Duration of complete Note/Data Deletion

Skeldir

Hello Everyone,

after using Evernote for over 4 years (professional and private), I had to make the decision to stop using it as from 2018. I live and work in Europe, and lately there has just been too much trouble with all the data protection laws, customers, data compatibility, missing features, etc that I decided to switch to a different solution for my work-related stuff.

My question is: How long does it take for all the data I send to the Evernote servers over the years using the Evernote clients and/or Evernote web interface to be completly and permanently deleted?

I know that Evernote support keeps telling users "when you move a note to the trash and then remove it from the trash, the note ist gone, and we can't restore it". That might be correct, but there are more people working at Evernote than support staff - what about admins and other IT staff? I expect Evernote made backups of their my data, and if they did, then my data probably won't be deleted immediately after i remove it from the trash, right? How long until the last backup that contained my (unencrypted!!) data is deleted??

I DO NOT ask how to delete my notes (I already did), but I need a legally binding statement of the exact date (or at least the end of a timeframe) to comply with local laws. Since I canceled my subscription in December support either won't answer my requests anymore, or they are very slow.

Regards

SK

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, Skeldir said:

I expect Evernote made backups of their my data, and if they did, then my data probably won't be deleted immediately after i remove it from the trash, right? How long until the last backup that contained my (unencrypted!!) data is deleted??

I DO NOT ask how to delete my notes (I already did), but I need a legally binding statement of the exact date (or at least the end of a timeframe) to comply with local laws.

At one time, the Privacy Policy said 

residual copies of your deleted Content may continue to exist on the Evernote Service’s back-up and archiving systems for up to one year due to the nature of those systems’ operations.

There is a reference here   http://www.paranoidpaul.com/compare.php?site=69&doc=266&view=666

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Skeldir said:

I need a legally binding statement of the exact date (or at least the end of a timeframe) to comply with local laws.

We're a (mainly) user-supported forum,  so no-one here is going to provide you with legally binding information - I'd be mildly surprised if Evernote could or would do that;  purging of old backups might happen sooner,  or it will happen later than 1 year,  but not by much.

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

At one time, the Privacy Policy said

...and it's complicated by Evernote switching to a Google server base since then which may have changed the timescale.  There's no earthly point though for keeping backups longer than 1 year - with storage on the scale Evernote need,  they won't want to pay for more than absolutely necessary. 

...Which is all my opinion,  and not binding on anything.

@Rich Tener is Evernote's Head of Security and he should see that tag on his name.  Maybe he can give you more.

Just now, DTLow said:

I haven't seen a "legal binding statement", but I vaguely recall a post from Evernote saying it can take up to a year for deleted data to be cycled out of backups

Well, at least something I could refer to in my documents.

As far as I see it, Evernote is required to delete all the data anyway once I'm no longer a customer and delete my account (it is currently just deactivated), at least that's what I take from all the European data protection laws ("Safe Harbour Agreement", "EU-US Privacy Shield").

Evernote is listed at https://www.privacyshield.gov/participant?id=a2zt0000000PCFCAA4&status=Active

Archived