How to Auto View PDF in Main Note?

Is there any way to see a PDF automatically expanded within a note? It's obviously reading it since you can see a thumbnail on the card view, but I really need to be able to see PDF's within the note for meetings. Just checking to see if I missed some setting somewhere? Thanks.

evernote-pdf-expanded.jpg

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Scott Fillmer said:

Is there any way to see a PDF automatically expanded within a note?

It depends on the platform

On my  Mac, I can view PDFs inline or as attachments.  This is a setting per file, or default for all new pdfs

edited: screen shots from my Mac; right clicking on a note5952a6f57b659_ScreenShot2017-06-27at11_40_37.png.a014e92ad21c9bd2c6d0108122c15561.png

and preferences  

5952a7288039d_ScreenShot2017-06-27at11_37_25.png.fc02f12415c120b2e69c900bf7d1550c.png

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

On my  Mac, I can view PDFs inline or as attachments.  This is a setting per file, or default for all new pdfs

And the setting is?  ....for the OP.  Looks like a Mac screenshot?

thanks, the screen shot was from my MacBook and I have "inline" set as the default but I guess that only works if the PDF was clipped?

29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

edited: screen shots from my Mac; right clicking on a note5952a6f57b659_ScreenShot2017-06-27at11_40_37.png.a014e92ad21c9bd2c6d0108122c15561.png

and preferences  

5952a7288039d_ScreenShot2017-06-27at11_37_25.png.fc02f12415c120b2e69c900bf7d1550c.png

thanks, 

@DTLow I've got the "view inline" checked now and it shows, but apparently it times out after a few minutes and goes back to the compact view? Am I understanding that correct, I have to do that every single time I want to view a PDF in a note that was not clipped? The note in the screenshot was one written in Notability and then "shared" it to Evernote, so it seems to be compact view whenever the note is "shared."

I'm trying to find a good rhythm of taking handwritten notes which are stored in Evernote (especially with the new update to iOS 11 and the Apple Pencil). I really wish the annotation functionality in EN worked more like Notability or Apple Notes so I didn't have to write in an outside app then send to EN. Anyone have a best practice they like for making hand written notes with Apple Pencil within EN?

Thanks again. SF

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Scott Fillmer said:

I'm trying to find a good rhythm of taking handwritten notes which are stored in Evernote (especially with the new update to iOS 11 and the Apple Pencil). I really wish the annotation functionality in EN worked more like Notability or Apple Notes so I didn't have to write in an outside app then send to EN. Anyone have a best practice they like for making hand written notes with Apple Pencil within EN?

Just an fyi; Evernote does handwriting ocr for images, not pdfs.  This is important if you want the notes searchable

My practice is to use external apps for handwriting, and transcribe to typed text

I like Notability, and GoodNotes has built in OCR

>>I've got the "view inline" checked now and it shows, but apparently it times out after a few minutes and goes back to the compact view?

I haven't experienced this.  The inline/attachment view is constant

52 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just an fyi; Evernote does handwriting ocr for images, not pdfs.  This is important if you want the notes searchable

My practice is to use external apps for handwriting, and transcribe to typed text

I like Notability, and GoodNotes has built in OCR

>>I've got the "view inline" checked now and it shows, but apparently it times out after a few minutes and goes back to the compact view?

I haven't experienced this.  The inline/attachment view is constant

Thanks! I was going to move to GoodNotes as I wanted the OCR, but wasn't aware EN did OCR for images not pdf's, thanks much.

Archived