On the subject of privacy

Behappy

I don't understand, how can Backblaze encrypt all your data (terabytes of it), while charging $50/yr. But Evernote, which charges about the same and only stores on average 1/1000 of the data can't encrypt all the data??

If it's an issue of size of the notes(and opening them frequently), there should be some design plan here that allows text-only notes to be encyrpted and searchable. Backblaze takes about a minute to open 4tb of data, but text-only files are extremely small in size, and should be able to be searched quickly.
Or at the very least, let us make certain notes encrypted (by say right clicking on the note, and clicking encrypt). We could do these for some text-notes which we feel are private. It REALLY bothers me that Evernote doesn't take this more seriously. This is one of the most important things I'd want if not the most important.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Behappy said:

I don't understand, how can Backblaze encrypt all your data (terabytes of it), while charging $50/yr. But Evernote, which charges about the same and only stores on average 1/1000 of the data can't encrypt all the data??

If Backblaze were to offer the same useful facilities for organizing my notes, then I might switch. But it doesn't, so the question is apples-to-oranges.

If you want encrypted notes and/or notebooks, then please go to the appropriate feature request threads, and vote them up (and add your point of view, if you want)..

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Behappy said:

I selected Evernote for its feature set, knowing that i had to manually encrypt my data

I'm not familiar with the Backblaze service but If you feel its a better fit for you, you should be using that service

I mean obviously Evernote is a superior note-taking and organization application, thats why I use it too. But encryption is very important to me and I know I'm not alone here, so whats the real reason for not implementing it? Are they aware of how important it is to many users?

edit: Also I've already seen it on the feature request page plenty of times.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Behappy said:

But encryption is very important to me and I know I'm not alone here, so whats the real reason for not implementing it? Are they aware of how important it is to many users?

afaik   Evernote has never given a reason

There are various suggestions being posted.

My suspicion is that client side encryption prevents value added services at the server side;
some users feel these services can be moved from the servers to the client side 
but I know that isn't possible on all platforms

I encrypt my sensitive data.  Yes, it's a manual process but I knew this when I signed on with Evernote

On 16-12-2016 at 9:56 PM, Behappy said:

If it's an issue of size of the notes(and opening them frequently), there should be some design plan here that allows text-only notes to be encyrpted and searchable. Backblaze takes about a minute to open 4tb of data, but text-only files are extremely small in size, and should be able to be searched quickly.
Or at the very least, let us make certain notes encrypted (by say right clicking on the note, and clicking encrypt). We could do these for some text-notes which we feel are private. It REALLY bothers me that Evernote doesn't take this more seriously. This is one of the most important things I'd want if not the most important.

Can you search in Backblaze encrypted data ?

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Behappy said:

Yes

Are you sure? According to https://www.backblaze.com/blog/search-backed-up-files/:

This search will look at the name of the file only. Since your files are encrypted, we cannot search the contents of the files themselves. All files that match the name will show up. The directory that the file is in is shown just below the filename.

Granted, the link is from 2010; if you have a newer reference, that would be helpful. 

Archived