Sync bug?

Cosima von B.

Idea

I've been using evernote for 3 years on 2 devices (my phone and my laptop) and I've noticed it selectively fails to sync the notes on my phone with the ones I write on my computer. After several attempts of syncing the notes from my phone, when I open the computer, it automatically syncs the notes with the unupdated version from my phone, hence I lose all the information. Had to buy the premium version in order to access my notes history. What is there to be done? 

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Cosima von B. said:

I've been using evernote for 3 years on 2 devices (my phone and my laptop) and I've noticed it selectively fails to sync the notes on my phone with the ones I write on my computer. After several attempts of syncing the notes from my phone, when I open the computer, it automatically syncs the notes with the unupdated version from my phone, hence I lose all the information. Had to buy the premium version in order to access my notes history. What is there to be done? 

Can you isolate the situations where the sync process fails?

Also, be aware that the sync process is     Computer <> Server <> Phone

so there's two points for sync failure

You can confirm the notes are synced to the Server by logging into www.evernote.com

• Level 5*

I'd second that - why not create a new note on your phone that is not on the desktop,  and sync.  Check whether the note is on the server (via Evernote.com) and whether it is received on the desktop.  Then create another new note on the desktop and follow the chain back again.  One or the other device is not syncing properly.

This may help - How to troubleshoot syncing issues

Thanks for the prompt answers and for all the information. I've noticed that if I don't use the phone app for a while and I only write in the app on my computer, it tends to do that, not syncing the notes from the computer > phone. Never checked if the information was synced on the server. Wish I knew that :)

I would like to avoid all the process of creating a new note and syncing back and forth, that's why I was using the app from the beginning, it seemed easy to work with. So, what you're both saying is that I have to basically check the notes on the server every time I encounter a syncing problem. Does that mean it would be best to work directly on the server and lose the app on my computer? 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Cosima von B. said:

I've noticed that if I don't use the phone app for a while and I only write in the app on my computer, it tends to do that, not syncing the notes from the computer > phone

Again, I want to point out there is not syncing from computer <> phone.
It all goes through the server

I find when I don't use the phone app for a while, when I start it up I have to wait while it syncs the backlog of notes.
On my iphone, I can trigger the sync manually, and it spins for a while.

Yes, yes, via server of course. I always push for syncing when I open the app on my phone. I also do that on my computer as I progress with writing a note. It seems like there was indeed a syncing error somewhere between the phone and the server otherwise I don't think I would have managed to get my history back from the app on my computer. I'll check with the server from now on. Thanks!

Archived