Editing PDF creates new notes

I'm using a Note5 and Skitch to edit. For some reason when I annotate a PDF like I always have it is saving it as a new note. When I go to the new note and try to annotate that it then creates a third new note. Anyone know what's up with that?

I did notice a pop up button like I am clipping a web page that I don't remember seeing...

• Level 5*

I'm using the latest Evernote beta,  but as far as I recall everything still works the same as before the update - Open PDF / Edit PDF / Undo or Save / Back to the note.

Not sure what you're seeing - have you tried the catchall fix for mobile issues?  - SURR (Sync,  uninstall,  restart,  reinstall).

If you still have the issue after that,  can you screenshot the screen(s) you see after editing a PDF and just before saving?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the long delay!  I just finally had a chance to do some more messing around with it.  I did as you said (uninstalled and reinstalled) but that did not fix it.  I do think I have it figured out though.  I think it has to do with Skitch being my default PDF viewer/ editor.  When looking at a PDF in a note there is a pen icon, and the three dot icon.  When I hit the pen icon it opens the PDF in Skitch without further prompt.  When I save it, Skitch thinks it is a saving something new to Evernote and the round Evernote botton pips up like it would like if you were clicking a webpage (see pic).

I just clicked the three dots and then I was shown a menu that included Annotate.  Choosing that it opened up the PDF in what looks like Skitch and any annotations did indeed get saved back to the note if I chose those options.

As I said, I'm thinking this has something to do with Skitch being my default viewer (has been for some time) and Evernote no longer using Skitch.  What still seems strange is that Evernote would not default to its own editor when the Pen icon is hit.  Perhaps I overrode that at some point.  I'm going to see if I can change my default and see if that makes a difference.

Evernote 2.jpg

Ok, I made it Skitch is not the default. Now when I hit the pen icon it prompts me to choose a PDF viewer and Evernote is not an option.  It seems odd that in order to edit the PDF with Evernote you do not hit the edit symbol.  Unless I am totally misunderstanding what the Pen means.  I thought it meant write on the PDF.

I guess the secondary question to this is, now that Skitch is not the Evernote app anymore (correct?) what is?  Is it just internal to Evernote?  I just picked "Write on PDF" wondering if that was it, but it is not.  And now, that is my default choice - it did not give me an option to just use it this one time...

Now I know I can hit the three dots and choose annotate, but I would still really like to know what the function of the Pen is supposed to be.

Evernote 3.jpg

• 6 months later...

The one problem with annotate in this scenario had to do with the limitations of annotate not being able to do one simple thing: highlight. 

I had to download the file to mark it up with highlights, then save it answer share it back to Evernote... as a new note. Even reattaching it seems silly and arduous. 

Please add highlight to annotations...:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2016 at 3:17 AM, ChrstnMchl said:

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the long delay!  I just finally had a chance to do some more messing around with it.  I did as you said (uninstalled and reinstalled) but that did not fix it.  I do think I have it figured out though.  I think it has to do with Skitch being my default PDF viewer/ editor.  When looking at a PDF in a note there is a pen icon, and the three dot icon.  When I hit the pen icon it opens the PDF in Skitch without further prompt.  When I save it, Skitch thinks it is a saving something new to Evernote and the round Evernote botton pips up like it would like if you were clicking a webpage (see pic).

I just clicked the three dots and then I was shown a menu that included Annotate.  Choosing that it opened up the PDF in what looks like Skitch and any annotations did indeed get saved back to the note if I chose those options.

As I said, I'm thinking this has something to do with Skitch being my default viewer (has been for some time) and Evernote no longer using Skitch.  What still seems strange is that Evernote would not default to its own editor when the Pen icon is hit.  Perhaps I overrode that at some point.  I'm going to see if I can change my default and see if that makes a difference.

Evernote 2.jpg

Hi @ChrstnMchl, I'm having the same dilemma like you. Surely using Skitch would be good but when it come to fill a form in PDF like to sign a signature, i think other app would be good like Adobe or even Write To PDF. As you know, the problem is, once you edited the doc, it will not auto save the PDF in the note but instead save in the internal storage of the phone. And you need to re-attach it to note again, which is tedious.

Still looking a way which app or other solution to this. Docusign is a good tool but have to pay if you are a frequent user to send document to get signature. 

If you come out with a solution to this, let me know. The feel is vice versa too.

Archived