ESC from the Note Title Field

Up until several versions back in the Windows client the ESC key allowed you to exit editing the note title which was very handy since I routinely go through new notes to change or update the titles and nothing else. So you would go to the title edit or change what need edited or changed and ESC saved your changes and you were on to whatever you wanted to do next. In the latest version ESC does nothgin and in order to exit the title you either hit enter which takes you to the body of the note where you can then press ESC to exit the note. The only other option that I can find to exit a note title is to click the note in the preview pane with the mouse. Essentially I want the ability to exit the note title back. I can't think of any reason why it was removed to begin with. Please allow the ESC key to again work in the note title field. Thanks!! - Phil

Basically the way it worked previously when you hit the ESC key in the title it simply saved whatever had been changed and took the focus off the title. In other words edit the title, ESC, done. ESC should work from the note title the same way it works from the body of the note.Thanks for the shift-tab mention. I wasn't  aware of that key combination to get to back to the note list.

• Level 5*

You are welcome for the tip.  Yeah ESC from the body returns to the note list as well.  Any other hot key can be executed from the body of the note, so hitting a return in title is not that much different from ESC in that regard.  FWIW.

I agree it makes sense to put ESC functionality back in the title.  Not sure why it was changed other than if EN is trying for consistency across platforms.

• Level 5

Looking at our code, it looks like the current intention is that pressing ESC will revert any changes that you make to the title. However, that doesn't seem to be working correctly. I suspect that the behavior was changed from Save because ESC more typically means Stop/Undo/etc. than Save.

Thanks for checking and getting back to me... I would point out though that to be consistent you should be able to press ESC to be done with the title just as you press ESC to be done with anything in the body of the note.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, emerick said:

Looking at our code, it looks like the current intention is that pressing ESC will revert any changes that you make to the title. However, that doesn't seem to be working correctly. I suspect that the behavior was changed from Save because ESC more typically means Stop/Undo/etc. than Save.

If you ESC in note whatever changes are saved.  So to @Phil A's point, one or the other I suppose, save or cancel.

And lo and behold, I tried it once for a test on a new note and got the multi note select in the note view out of nowhere issue.  Can't recreate 100% though the following almost does, side list view.  :wacko:

1. Create a new note while in All Notes. use ESC to exit the note body.
  2. Click on a shortcut which takes you to some note down in your note list.
  3. Ctrl-Home to get back to the top of the list.
  4. Move the cursor around in the note view and two notes show selected in the notes window, the new note and the note represented by the shortcut in step 2.

Weird but works every time  I have instant sync on so don't know if that has any impact. Ties back to this thread.

Archived