unresponsive Evernote in browsers

Eric A

I use (free) Evernote via browser (company IT block the installation of the application), but it has become increasingly glitchy.  I tend to use Chrome, but even with IE (11) it just hangs for the longest time, eventually providing a message to the effect of (paraphrasing) "This page is unresponsive -- wait or kill".  It has gotten to the point that it has made the use of Evernote impossible.  Any suggestions to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote may be slowed by your company firewall,  or by Chrome which seems to throw up the occasional glitch.  Can you try access via one or more other browser(s) to see if Firefox or Opera give the same result?

I am having this exact same problem as Eric A.  It was working perfectly one day and then crashing completely the next.  I do NOT have a firewall.   Nothing has really changed.   Using Chrome, the evernote page loads but when I click on a different note, it just loads and loads until an error message pops up saying the page is unresponsive.  This has been going on for a few days.  Interestingly, it does not hang via Internet Explorer.  PLEASE HELP

Yes, Evernote web has become completely unusable for me. I am using Chrome. As soon as I click on a note the tab locks up and Chrome wants to kill the page. Since I am on Ubuntu the web interface is my only option to access Evernote.

This appears to be a Chrome (Version 52.0.2743.82 (64-bit)) issue. I can access my notes using Firefox.

• Level 5*

Yup.  Chrome seems to be the key... it updates in the background,  so you may not be aware that anything has changed - until something becomes unavailable,  then service providers using the code base have to scrabble to catch up.

There's an obvious work-around - if Evernote Web doesn't work in Chrome,  but it does in another browser - then use another browser for this purpose for the moment.  Send in a bug report and mention the URL of this thread for background,  and Evernote should be able to capture enough information to work out what needs to be fixed.

Hi,

Please do submit a ticket for this issue as we would like to take a closer look. Be sure to include a link to this forum post in your ticket. Otherwise, please feel free to post the following information here:

1. What OS are you using?
  2. What version of Chrome?
  3. When were you last able to access Evernote Web with no problems? When did you first notice this issue occurring?
  4. What troubleshooting steps have you tried? Ex: refreshing page, clearing the cache, restarting browser, restarting machine, etc.

Thanks for your help with this!

Hi Kgg,

I'm not entirely sure how to submit a ticket. I keep trying via EN support.  it says "please submit a ticket" but there is not button of functioning link to make that happen on the page. 

1. My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64b

2 Chrome Version Version 52.0.2743.82 m

3. It's been doing this for over a week.  July 21st may be the last time I think it worked flawlessly

4. Restarting chrome or the computer does nothing.  Logging in and logging out of EN does nothing. Clearing cache AND running Ccleaner seems to have made it better for a little while but then just goes to freezing and crashing when you click on a different note.

Thanks @Moriarty2099! I've passed this information along to our development team and will follow-up when we know more.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue please add the requested information here or post your ticket number so we can make sure your case is expedited. 

We think we've identified an issue related to clicking on long notes in the left-side note list. If you refrain from clicking on notes in the note list do you encounter the unresponsive issue? If not, if you start clicking on notes in the note list, does the browser then become unresponsive? This primarily has been reported in Chrome Version 52. 

If this doesn't appear to be the issue you are encountering, please tell us a little more about the behavior you are seeing and be sure to confirm browser and version numbers.

This is correct.  If I do NOT click other notes, the web page functions seemingly normally.  Originally, if I clicked on only one other note it would become unresponsive.  

But after clearing the cache, it appears EN web becomes unresponsive after 4 or 5 different notes have been selected.  Most notes are not that long.  None have embedded images or extras.  They are simple text with bold or highlighted portions.  Most notes are 7-70kb in size.  With one exception of a 500kb sized file.  It does not freeze consistently on the longest note.  it will freeze after the 4th or 5th note has been selected.  Once this happens the page freezes, unable to do anything, and then a Chrome warning window pops saying the page is unresponsive.

8 hours ago, Moriarty2099 said:

This is correct.  If I do NOT click other notes, the web page functions seemingly normally.  Originally, if I clicked on only one other note it would become unresponsive.  

But after clearing the cache, it appears EN web becomes unresponsive after 4 or 5 different notes have been selected.  Most notes are not that long.  None have embedded images or extras.  They are simple text with bold or highlighted portions.  Most notes are 7-70kb in size.  With one exception of a 500kb sized file.  It does not freeze consistently on the longest note.  it will freeze after the 4th or 5th note has been selected.  Once this happens the page freezes, unable to do anything, and then a Chrome warning window pops saying the page is unresponsive.

Thanks for clarifying the behavior you are seeing. This does sound like the same issue. Our development team believes this will be fixed in the next service release scheduled for Wednesday August 10th. If you (or anyone else) is still seeing this behavior after the release (updates here) please let us know.

• 1 year later...

HI, i'm adding my same issue to this thread. I can load Evernote with Chrome but it consistently freezes. Chrome eventually gives me the option to kill the tab. It's happening non stop. 

Chrome is up to date: Version 66.0.3359.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I'm using a 2017 MacBook Pro: Version 10.13.2

Archived