Change focus from Tags back to Note list pane

F2 changes focus to edit the note Title and then Esc key changes focus BACK to the note list.

F3 changes focus to edit note Tags. But the Esc key does NOT change focus back to the note list.

Does anyone know how to edit the tags (F3) and then get back to the note list without using the mouse?

The only way I can find is to use the following shortcuts in sequence after editing note Tags:

F2 (Title)  -> Tab (Note content)  ->  Esc

That cuts down 1 keystroke. Although same number of keys pushed.  :-)

There's a recurring theme here where a keyboard shortcut works from "here", but not "there". Or works from this pane, but not that view.

Back Tab works from the Title, but not from the Note text pane. Esc works from the Note text pane, but not from the Title or Tags sections. F2 navigates to the Title from anywhere, as does F3 navigates to the Tags. (Note: in the left panel, for some reason, F2 edits the name of the item selected. Press it again and it changes focus to the Title of the first note in the list pane.)

Evernote keyboard shortcuts need a full QA cycle with requirements clarification.

• Level 5

Your post prompted me to explore these keyboard shortcuts, and I agree that consistency would be better. Tab works well going back and forth among Left Panel and Notes List, and indeed everywhere except the Note Editor, where obviously it must have its normal text-typing function. In which case, picking a shortcut not used in text editing and making it universal might make sense. I note that Ctrl+Tab functions exactly the same as Tab in moving among panes and fields--but in the Note Editor it (naturally) does nothing. Just simply giving it the focus-moving function in the editor that it has elsewhere might do the job.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, cbzen said:

That cuts down 1 keystroke. Although same number of keys pushed.  :-)

There's a recurring theme here where a keyboard shortcut works from "here", but not "there". Or works from this pane, but not that view.

Back Tab works from the Title, but not from the Note text pane. Esc works from the Note text pane, but not from the Title or Tags sections. F2 navigates to the Title from anywhere, as does F3 navigates to the Tags. (Note: in the left panel, for some reason, F2 edits the name of the item selected. Press it again and it changes focus to the Title of the first note in the list pane.)

Evernote keyboard shortcuts need a full QA cycle with requirements clarification.

Workaround.  You could use something like PhaseExpress to create a hot key that would enter the F2-Shift Tab for you.  Just set one up, took a few seconds.  Now Ctrl-/ jumps me from tag entry to note list.  I use PE for some of my repetitive tasks, frequently used searches and formatting emails I send to EN (adding the address, dating, cleaning up the body), and adding tags.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png

Thanks csihilling, I use Breevy for my text expander so I'll give it a go. Also, PhraseExpress looks good as well and may try that. Thanks again.

That will give Evernote time to sort out their keyboard shortcut behavior I hope...  :-)

Archived