(Archived) Evernote 3.5.3 & Mac 1.8 Preview [Updated]

Philip Constantinou

Idea

For over a year we've been working on improving editing and clipping notes. Today we're allowing users to try out the next step towards enabling these new features. We'll be releasing this change broadly on Windows, Mac and the Web in a couple weeks but we'd love to give you a preview. Before you download the new version there's a few things you should know.

The changes under the hood involve allowing more complex notes with more advanced styling of note content. The format of the notes are not completely backwards compatible since we're adding more feature.

There are precautions you must take when using the older versions of Evernote and the newer versions to make sure you don't lose any information. Any notes you create or modify using the new version may not display correctly in older clients. Furthermore, attempting to edit a note created or edited in the new version on the older versions could cause you to lose some or all of the content of the edited note. The new clients will only change notes that you modify using them -- it will not modify the notes in your account just by launching the application.

However, we recommend, if you want to try this preview, that you update all of your Evernote clients (Mac v. 1.8 and Windows v. 3.5.3). For the moment, if you edit a note on the web that you've created on the new clients, advanced styling will be lost.

Notes that are only edited by older clients will be not be effected. If you continue to use 3.1 without upgrading to new versions on other platforms you can continue to use Evernote without risk.

Download here:

Evernote for Windows v. 3.5.3 Pre-release: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/win/Ev ... 3.1888.exe

Evernote for Mac v. 1.8 Pre-release: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/1. ... _78785.dmg

Because these versions require users to take these special precautions we are not publishing an auto-update.

6 replies to this idea

Good to know!

I updated to 1.8, did some web-clipping, and I gotta say, I am very impressed!

You weren't lying when you said 1.8 allows for far richer notes…everything is formatted FAR better, and it looks great!

Go Evernote! Woo!

I've installed the Mac preview (build 77922) and am failing so far to see any difference. Most clipped web pages are stripped of formatting, looking pretty much like plain html. Is there something I need to do to enable the more advanced styling?

Edit: I've found that the new formatting does work if I clip (using the Safari clipper) when I have a selection marked. If I clip without having anything on the web page selected (ie. trying to clip the whole page), I get the old plain version.

Hi folks -

Here's an update to the Mac pre-release, Evernote for Mac v. 1.8 Pre-release: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/1. ... _78785.dmg

This is, Version 1.8.0 Beta 2, adds the following:

• [*:29jkdidh]Fix bugs in the note editor's note attribute text fields (title, tags, authoer, etc.)
    [*:29jkdidh]Fix a bug in the left-hand nav trash note count
    [*:29jkdidh]Localization improvements

Users won't auto-update to this release. Please download and install and install if you're interested in trying it.

Archived