Unable to search for exact phrases within a note

I'm a long-time Evernote user and lover. Recently I've been using Evernote to store some typed notes and screenshots related to a programming language I'm learning. I've been going back to the individual notes quite a bit to search for specific phrases (e.g., "multiple imputation"). This works within the typed sections, but NOT within screenshot text. The text in screenshots comes up in the search results but I am NOT able to narrow this down to a specific phrase. For example, all uses of the word "multiple" and "imputation" would be highlighted from the search, not just "multiple imputation". 

Is there any way to get around this?? Otherwise I may be migrating to another program : /

• 1 month later...

Hi @Kongoiba

It's not possible to perform a matched phrase search in images because each text 'item' in an image is assigned a set of possible word matches and not exact matches. In other words, "multiple" and "imputation" are each indexed separately therefore preventing an exact phrase match. You can read more about this process in our Tech Blog: How Evernote’s Image Recognition Works.

• Level 5

kgg, thanks for that link. I'd just been wondering about Evernote and OCR, and this answered my questions completely (and then some). I'd hoped for OCR conversion of text within an image to editable text in a note, but the Tech Blog post explains that this is not the aim, only searchable words derived from images. I tried it on some of my notes, and it works as advertised (in both Windows and Android), which is certainly worthwhile.

Archived