Product Feedback: Note Export Options

LSS1

Idea

This has probably shown up many times but I want to put my vote in. Evernote is far and away the easiest solution for getting content into -- but is badly lacking in terms of getting content out. I would very much like to see an EXPORT NOTE to the following formats (in priority order):

1. Plain text

2. Rich text

3. Standard html

4. PDF (low prio since I can print to PDF)

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, LSS1 said:

This has probably shown up many times but I want to put my vote in. Evernote is far and away the easiest solution for getting content into -- but is badly lacking in terms of getting content out. I would very much like to see an EXPORT NOTE to the following formats (in priority order):
1. Plain text
2. Rich text
3. Standard html
4. PDF (low prio since I can print to PDF)

You do realize that text and pdf might be ok for simple notes, but is a problem if you have attachments.

Currently I can export to html on my Mac,  It includes attachments.

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 1.22.24 PM.png

Yes, of course. But I have around 2000 notes in Evernote and I suspect that only 10-15% of them have attachments. I would be perfectly happy with:

<attachment: xxxxx>

in the text for those notes.

And I did forget that there is already an HTML export (although I have used it in the past). So that one can come off the list.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, LSS1 said:

Evernote is far and away the easiest solution for getting content into -- but is badly lacking in terms of getting content out.

Actually it is very easy to get your content out of Evernote:

1. Export to HTML (already provided, as noted earlier)
  2. Most apps (like MS Word) that support rich text, also support import/conversion of HTML to Rich Text
  3. There are several format conversion apps available that will convert HTML to lots of other formats
  4. Since you are using a Mac, using AppleScript you can easily export from Evernote and import into many other Mac apps and/or save as files.
  5. Using AppleScript, you can automate save as PDF.

Yes, that could be done ... and being a fairly sophisticated user I could even figure out how to do it all.... But I could also request that the pre-eminent NOTE app natively export to the most basic NOTE format available on computer systems.

I take notes all day in Evernote and sometimes  (with some regularity) I need to just take the text and do something else with it. I HATE MS WORD and I prefer to spend my Applescripting time on solutions to real problems.

So I appreciate your response and I might have to resort to those kinds of things (and have done some thing like that) .... but it sure would be nice if I could just get a .TXT file.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, LSS1 said:

.. But I could also request that the pre-eminent NOTE app natively export to the most basic NOTE format available on computer systems.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Note App" format.

You didn't mention the .enex format also available in Evernote export.  Supposedly this format can be imported by Apple Notes and Microsoft OneNote.

Given the alternatives in this discussion, I challenge your statement "lacking in terms of getting content out".  This is an important point for me; before I committed to Evernote, I made sure there was an exit strategy.

Archived