Auto Search While Typing: Kindly KNOCK IT OFF

Background: I am a Premium user, on Evernote since March 2010, using Windows 10 at both home and work (same experience with Windows 7 & 8 previously). I have over 5,500 notes, roughly half web clippings and half PDFs.

Problem: When typing search terms, Evernote automatically begins searching in the background after typing the second letter of the search. This sends the application into "Not Responding" for about 5-10 seconds, preventing me from continuing to type in my search request.

This is not a serious issue, but it is HIGHLY ANNOYING and ENTIRELY UNNECESSARY. I use advanced searches, so when I'm typing "intitle:insurance" I do NOT need to know all the notes in my database that contain the string "in" (4,905 notes of 5,524 -- not useful for sorting in any event). Nor am I interested in the search results that match my typos as I revise my search terms.

PLEASE KNOCK IT OFF. I have waited patiently for Evernote to think better of this folly, or at least to add an option in the settings to turn off automatic searching, but to no avail. I have gone from "definitely wouldn't consider switching to OneNote" to "might consider it" based just on this nuisance alone. (I really do otherwise have mostly excellent things to say about Evernote.) I rely heavily on the desktop application, and it's clumsy as all hell in a lot of minor ways, but this is the single most annoying and fixable nuisance that goes to the heart of why I've used Evernote: to quickly search for my things.

PLEASE FIX IT.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Tim Kowal said:

PLEASE KNOCK IT OFF. I have waited patiently for Evernote to think better of this folly, or at least to add an option in the settings to turn off automatic searching, but to no avail.

Tim, I completely agree with you.  This same issue exists on EN Mac as well.

Would you like me to move your topic to Windows Feedback, so others can vote with you for this change?

• Level 5*

Not like an option, but there's a Windows registry hack, HKCU - Software - Evernote - Evernote - SearchAsYouTypeDelay.  Set the value to 0 and search won't begin until you hit enter.

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Not like an option, but there's a Windows registry hack, HKCU - Software - Evernote - Evernote - SearchAsYouTypeDelay.  Set the value to 0 and search won't begin until you hit enter.

Excellent! I had a little trouble at first getting the value to stick -- it kept resetting back to 0x00000032 (50) -- but once I made sure Evernote and the background tasks and clipper were completely shut down, it took. Now it behaves exactly as desired.

Thank you!

Tim

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Not like an option, but there's a Windows registry hack

I know this is a Windows thread, but just for the record, Macs don't use a registry (thank goodness), so no fix/workaround available for EN Mac.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Tim Kowal said:

Excellent! I had a little trouble at first getting the value to stick -- it kept resetting back to 0x00000032 (50) -- but once I made sure Evernote and the background tasks and clipper were completely shut down, it took. Now it behaves exactly as desired.

Thank you!

Tim

You are welcome.

• 2 months later...

This Auto Search is extremely annoying . Every time I open evernote mac , it kept old search terms and automatically show the results before I start to do anything . Strongly upvote for disable this or at least configable . 

Archived