Arabic OCR requested

akhansson

Idea

Greetings Evernote.

I would like to know if I can search inside arabic PDFs. That would be awesome if you could support the Arabic language for OCR-recognition. This is very important for me since I use it for my work assignments. I hope you make my wish come true.

Here are some facts about the Arabic script:
There are 28 letters in the alphabet. Every letter that can be attached to another letter has 3 forms depending on where in the word it is.
It looks one way when it is in the beginning of a word. It looks one way when it is in the end of a word. And it looks in another way when it is somewhere in the word but not in the beginning and the end.

I think that you might be interested in checking out the following website: http://www.sakhr.com/index.php/en/solutions/ocr
At least they might be able to answer some questions.

Thank you. Best wishes. Please make this happen. :)

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On February 25, 2016 at 0:58 PM, akhansson said:

I would like to know if I can search inside arabic PDFs. That would be awesome if you could support the Arabic language for OCR-recognition.

You might take a look at this post
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79128-searching-different-language-text-in-images-just-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=333113
It discusses setting up language parameters in your profile.

On 2/27/2016 at 10:11 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Searching inside PDF files is a Premium feature - have you tried it?  What results did you get?

Firstly, I have a Premium account. The results that I get are remarkable and amazing searching inside PDFs. However. My question was regarding the Arabic script not being supported at the moment. Or am I possibly wrong about this? Thank you. :)

• Level 5*

There's this article regarding Arabic support
http://arabcrunch.com/2013/02/evernote-arabic.html

Evernote, the company that’s helping the world in note taking and archiving. announced this week the launch of Evernote in Arabic.

Beginning this week, both Evernote for Android and the Evernote website will be available in Arabic, providing the growing number of Arabic-speaking Evernote users with a great Evernote experience in their native language. More Evernote apps will get Arabic support in the future.

Currently, Evernote has over 50 million users across the world and supports over 20 languages.

Evernote Vice President of International Operations, Dmitry Stavisky says: “We are very happy to add support for Arabic, the fourth most spoken world language, which has over 300 million native speakers.

“Arabic is a right-to-left language, so it was harder for us to support than other languages.

Fortunately, several Evernote engineers speak Arabic, and that made it easier for us to do this localization. We started with Evernote for Android, which is a top platform for Evernote. “Today we have over 600,000 users in Arabic-speaking countries, and we expect this number to grow rapidly.”

Archived