Need Help with Sync

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some offline evernote sync. I have may users who sync the evernote in their systems and face lot of problem and now my management has decided to disable the internet access for some of the users. However I need to have single location of the database from where my all users will be syncing the notes so that I will save my time and bandwidth.

Please help me with the settings as it would be a great help. Thank you in advance.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, AZIM ANSARI said:

I am looking for some offline evernote sync. ....single location of the database from where my all users will be syncing the notes so that I will save my time and bandwidth.

Offline sync is a contradiction, since the EN server in the cloud is the hub for syncing.

>>single location of the database

Possibly Windows will allow you to change the location to a shared location, but I can't see having multiple users at the same time.
Also, it would have to be a single account.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, AZIM ANSARI said:

So is there any way where multiple people can sync from the single database. Please suggest

No, the only place to sync from is the Evernote server in the cloud.

Maybe keep a USB stick at the water cooler with a backup of any changes to the main account you want to draw information from. You need to set up a protocol for each person to quickly transfer info from the USB so as not to keep others waiting too long. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

Maybe keep a USB stick at the water cooler with a backup of any changes to the main account

Not exactly a sync, but it is do-able, and more feasible than sharing a database.
May I suggest instead, using a .enex file on a shared network drive.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, AZIM ANSARI said:

I did not understand about shared account because I am using single account for the sync process.

I modified my post to show I was referring to your comment re: a single location of the database.
I meant if you and your colleagues were going to each use the same database, you could only have the one account.

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not exactly a sync, but it is do-able, and more feasible than sharing a database.
May I suggest instead, using a .enex file on a shared network drive.

Forgot to add this: :P

Thanks but my users are continuously updating their notes and USB wont work in my condition.

Also I did not find any .enex file in the database folder and only found below extension files,

.exb

.exb.bak

.exb.snippets

I tried using shared location database however when one user sync then other user gets the error that "database is in use".

I hope there should be some offline solution. Please help. Thanks.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, AZIM ANSARI said:

I hope there should be some offline solution

Sorry, but for Evernote there is NO way to sync offline.  Unlike some apps, Evernote does NOT support sync via Dropbox, wi-fi, network server, USB drive, or anything else other than via Internet to their Cloud Service.

Trying to sync using the export to ENEX is not really a workable solution.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, AZIM ANSARI said:

Thanks but my users are continuously updating their notes and USB wont work in my condition.Also I did not find any .enex file in the database folder and only found below extension files,I tried using shared location database however when one user sync then other user gets the error that "database is in use".

Wow, you actually tried the shared database. I was wondering if it worked. I was sure you could have only one user at a time.

The  .Enex file  export would work this way

- Each user could have their own notebook. Periodically, they export their notebook to a .enex file

- Any user wanting to have a copy of that notebook in their Evernote database would import the .enex file

• Level 5*

Many people have problem keeping things in sync with just themselves and their other devices, even having automatic sync, and very easy manual sync.

Trying to "sync" using ENEX among multiple people would be a disaster.  First of all, it's not a sync.  When you import the ENEX, it creates a NEW note, not an update of the existing note.  Before long they won't even know which one is the most current.  A mess.

@AZIM ANSARI, IMO, you need to deal with the  primary issue: getting access to the Internet for the Evernote app on each user's machine., so a proper sync can be done.   A good IT tech can probably figure out how to restrict the Internet to Evernote.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

When you import the ENEX, it creates a NEW note, not an update of the existing note.

Before long they won't even know which one is the most current.  A mess.

Which is why my suggestion was at the notebook level.  The entire notebook would be replaced with an updated copy.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Which is why my suggestion was at the notebook level.  The entire notebook would be replaced with an updated copy.

Still not workable/practical.  What happens when you have only 2 or 3 notes different Notes in each exported NB by different users?  There's no easy way to pull only the updated notes from each NB from each user.  A mess.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, JMichaelTX said:

There's no easy way to pull only the updated notes from each NB from each user.  A mess.

I repeat - the entire notebook would be replaced.

• Level 5*

@DTLow:.   Repetition is not necessary, nor desired.    I understood the first time. 

If you have three different users, who all three export the same notebook, then how does everybody know which notes to use from which ENEX?    Each of these users updated different notes.   

Everybody can't just replace the  same  notebook with  The three different ENEX files of the same notebook. 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

If you have three different users, who all three export the same notebook, then how does everybody know which notes to use from which ENEX?    Each of these users updated different notes.   

Everybody can't just replace the  same  notebook with  The three different ENEX files of the same notebook. 

Back to the original post

- Each user could have their own notebook. Periodically, they export their notebook to a .enex file. For example; Notebook-Jan, Notebook-Bob, Notebook-Jim

- Any user wanting to have a copy of that notebook in their Evernote database would import the .enex file

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Each user could have their own notebook. Periodically, they export their notebook to a .enex file. For example; Notebook-Jan, Notebook-Bob, Notebook-Jim

I don't see that as useful, or practical. 

•  The users can't really work on or share of the same note with that approach. 
  •  When do the users do their export?   After every note, every third note, end of the day? 
  •  How do  other users know when it's available and what has changed?
  •  If you have a notebook with thousands of notes, then exporting the whole notebook just to share three or four notes doesn't make sense 
  •  It's hard enough for people to have the discipline to do normal sync, I really doubt they would have the discipline to go through the export process when it's needed. 
  •  
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I don't see that as useful, or practical. 

It's an alternative for workers to share in Evernote when they don't all have internet access.
It may not be the most practical but if it gets the job done; someone might find it useful.
Its how I used Evernote on my home MacMini when I didn't have internet (@Frank.dg I used a USB stick to transfer the .enex file from my work pc)

Your points about the downside are valid, and should be considered when validating alternative solutions.

• Level 5*

All due respect to the discussion so far,  I think the idea of an internal database with no net communication rules out Evernote pretty completely.  Plus I'd think using one account for several people to share would be the source of many of the problems the OP suffered from.  Better to look at Google Docs,  or Keep or DropBox (although that means network access again...) or to use one of the many business messaging and networking apps like Slack to share files.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

no net communication rules out Evernote pretty completely

It certainly makes it more difficult sharing wise, but there are benefits to using Evernote even for  those disconnected workers.
I'd be reluctant to give up Evernote even if I lost internet access.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I think the idea of an internal database with no net communication rules out Evernote pretty completely.

Exactly.

It is not even clear that these users are on the same local area network.  But if they are, there are a number of much better solutions for sharing info on a LAN.  Without Internet access, using Evernote for sharing is a non-starter.

I really appreciate your replies and lot of my doubts have been cleared. Now based on your reply I have 2 ways to do that,

1. Either I give internet access to all of the users and they sync the note at regular interval but sync becomes very slow and sometime unresponsive. I have enough bandwidth in my organization and even after it works really slow.

2. All the users are on same LAN, will it be okay if they access the Evernote on the web instead of the desktop version. Will the sync be faster and reliable connections ?

Please help me for the above.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, AZIM ANSARI said:

I give iinternet access to all of the users and they sync the note at regular interval but sync becomes very slow and sometime unresponsive.

Thats probably the best solution, but there's an error if the sync becomes slow and unresponsive.  This should be followed up on.

54 minutes ago, AZIM ANSARI said:

if they access the Evernote on the web instead of the desktop version. Will the sync be faster and reliable connections

If the web platform is used, there is no sync.  The database accessed is the on the Evernote server, and the local database is not used.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

If the web platform is used, there is no sync.

Actually there is a sync, between the browser on the user's computer and the EN Cloud.  It is a different kind of sync, but the EN Web app running in the users browser much send and receive the Evernote data.

My point is that a good, solid, Internet connection is still required.  So I'm not sure how much difference there is in the actual data packets between the EN Web app and the EN Win (or EN Mac) apps in communicating with the EN Cloud.  Maybe someone from Evernote could edify us.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, AZIM ANSARI said:

2. All the users are on same LAN, will it be okay if they access the Evernote on the web instead of the desktop version. Will the sync be faster and reliable connections ?

I don't know, and I'm not sure that any of us have the data to actually know.  This is a question that you should address directly to Evernote.

Using the EN Web app, clearly data must be downloaded from the EN Cloud for you to view a Note.  And, when you enter a new Note, or make changes to an existing Note, clearly that data must be uploaded to the EN Cloud.  The biggest difference with the EN Web app, and the EN desktop apps, is that every time you view a Note, the EN Web app must download the data.  Whereas in the EN desktop apps, the data is already on your computer, so no download is required for existing Notes.

If you do a Search in EN Web, it must be sent the the EN Cloud, and the results must be downloaded.  Whereas with the EN desktop apps a Search does not require and data exchange with the EN Cloud.  The Search is executed completely using data already on your computer.

So, it could turn out that the EN desktop apps require less data exchange with the EN Cloud than does the EN Web app.  But I don't know for sure.

The reliability of the connections with the EN Cloud should be the same.  I don't see why either EN client (EN Web or EN desktop) should have an advantage.

• Level 5*
On February 20, 2016 at 11:03 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Actually there is a sync, between the browser on the user's computer and the EN Cloud

Actually there is a sync, between the browser on the user's computer and the EN Cloud.  It is a different kind of sync, but the EN Web app running in the users browser much send and receive the Evernote data.

I could be wrong here, but my idea of sync in Evernote terms is between a local database and the Evernote cloud database.  When using Evernote in a browser (web), the local database is not used.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I could be wrong here, but my idea of sync in Evernote terms is between a local database and the Evernote cloud database.  When using Evernote in a browser (web), the local database is not used.

It would be more helpful to others if you would include my entire statement about sync in your quote:

16 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Actually there is a sync, between the browser on the user's computer and the EN Cloud.  It is a different kind of sync, but the EN Web app running in the users browser much send and receive the Evernote data.

When discussing sync of data, it simply means to make two different data sources have the same data.

You have ignored the larger point that the browser must continually exchange data with the EN Cloud (I would call that "sync") in order to allow the user to view existing notes, update the EN Cloud with changes made by the user, and download changes in the same account made on other devices.  The browser must do all of this even though it does not have a local database like the EN desktop apps.

Archived