"Migrating notes from earlier version"

I'm running Evernote 6.2.1 on a Mac with El Capitan.  The Mac is new and I've migrated my User data across from the old Mac (also running Evernote 6.2.1 and El Capitan).  Now, every time I open up Evernote, a window pops up with 'Migrating notes from earlier version', and a progress bar.  It takes a few seconds to migrate the notes, then the app functions as normal.

Evernote works perfectly well on the new Mac, and there's no reason why it shouldn't.  I just find the 'migrating' business a bit irritating and wonder what is going on.  And if I can fix it!

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Level 5*

Not a Mac user,  but I gathered from recent posts in the forums that the latest update to Evernote required a database revision that could take some time to complete.  If that's what's going on with your system,  it may be that the messages will stop appearing after a while.  I'd suggest restarting your system and leaving Evernote running for as long as you can - an hour or two anyway - when you next use the device.  If the message still pops up,  raise a support ticket:  follow the Help Center in my signature below and scroll to the bottom of the Troubleshooting page for the Contact Support button.

• Level 5*

I'm running Evernote 6.2.1 on a Mac with El Capitan.  The Mac is new and I've migrated my User data across from the old Mac (also running Evernote 6.2.1 and El Capitan).  Now, every time I open up Evernote, a window pops up with 'Migrating notes from earlier version', and a progress bar.  It takes a few seconds to migrate the notes, then the app functions as normal.

If this keeps happening, then you might want to post your issue in the EN Mac 6.3 Beta 1 thread to get the attention of Evernote.

It deals with El Capitan issues, and @Marcus has said that they have tried to make the update/migration process as transparent as possible.

• 2 months later...

I am having this same issue, in both the Mac App Store version of Evernote and the Direct download installer version of Evernote, version:

Version 6.4 (452969 Direct)

The data in use was recently restored from a backup using CrashPlan when my laptop was replaced.

I have been searching for details on whether or not I can identify permissions on my Evernote data store, and in searching for what I expect to find in ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote, I found that the only data store seems to be in the location where the Mac App Store version of Evernote would keep data (~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote).

Can anyone confirm whether or not the "simplest" answer to this case is to delete the Mac App Store version data store and any associated preferences, to allow the Direct-download version to set up its data store in its preferred location, or do they use the same directory structure anyway?

Thanks everyone.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Gary F said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not the "simplest" answer to this case is to delete the Mac App Store version data store and any associated preferences, to allow the Direct-download version to set up its data store in its preferred location, or do they use the same directory structure anyway?

The EN Mac App Store and Direct Download versions store the Evernote database in different locations.
You could first try a simple app reinstall, but most likely you will be better off doing a clean reinstall to eliminate the dup data storage, as well as ensure all the permissions are set properly.  As noted in the procedure below, if you have any Local Notebooks, you will need to first export them to ENEX files.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

The EN Mac App Store and Direct Download versions store the Evernote database in different locations.
You could first try a simple app reinstall, but most likely you will be better off doing a clean reinstall to eliminate the dup data storage, as well as ensure all the permissions are set properly.  As noted in the procedure below, if you have any Local Notebooks, you will need to first export them to ENEX files.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Many thanks for the pointer - this basically confirmed that the "easiest" thing to do is for me to back up all contents and files and remove all contents and preferences:

I created Zip archives before removing:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote
~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper

and then moved preference files from:

~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper.plist

to a folder other than my preferences folder,

then launched the version of Evernote that I have and simply logged in again to have it download everything in my account to its preferred data store location.

Having done all that, I now have a working copy of Evernote that does not take the full amount of time of "Migrating Notes to current version" to launch.

Archived