Self Host Evernote

My girlfriend turned me onto Evernote earlier this year.  Created an account, installed the app on my phone, tablet, and my single windows desktop.  Due to there being no Linux client, I have been accessing it via the website on the rest of my computers.

It is a very slick piece of software.

Being a security nut, I want the ability to self host the database due to privacy concerns and I am willing to pay a reasonable amount / yearly subscription for this ability.

Unfortunately, I can not find anything anywhere that indicates if this is an option, being concidered, or not a possibility.

I am hoping I simply overlooked a page with download and server setup instructions.

Joseph Hume

F1 for HELP

• Level 5

<snip>I want the ability to self host the database due to privacy concerns<snip>

No, that is not possible. You have to sync at least one note with the Evernote cloud.

However, you could put the rest of your notes into local non-sync'd notebooks which would only be available on your desktop (no web, tablet, or phone)

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

• 2 weeks later...

If I didn't want my data in the cloud, I would simply created some sort of nested file structure on my computer and then sync those files across my other devices. I'm not sure what functionality you get from Evernote you couldn't emulate on your own. 

What is being missed here is that I don't mind my information being in 'the cloud', as long as I am the one hosting 'the cloud'.

I like the format of the front-end evernote client, and I am willing to pay for it, but the data it saves to 'the cloud' needs to be saved on my cloud servers, not evernotes.

Not everyone has the capability to host their own cloud (no pun intended), and I get that. But you would get the software into more hands if the ability to self-host the back end were available.

Hopefully someday the decision will be made to enable this ability.

Joseph Hume

F1 for HELP

Archived